All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Addicted to drama?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Bagels wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Before I got into the medical field, I did a few years in marketing/PR research, and they are of course, very interested in ways to manipulate public thought/opinions/takes.

Read several things on the limbic system and how social media uses visual and audio cues to trigger emotional responses, you see this as people stare happily at their phone reading posts and feeling vindicated via follows or likes.

You would expect politicians to jump on this as they were paying the company I worked for at the time for the same type if analysis that major retailers wanted.

You do see some rather interesting and somewhat disturbing results as you have college kids thinking it's cool to repost some rather antisemitic content in support of some rather fervent Muslim groups whose core beliefs, especially their views on women, would terrify them.

Essentially, they have been manipulated via social media and the "drama" that comes with feeling you are part of an oppressed group, or the feeling of being validated via social media for supporting said group.

tl;dr

Sorry I hurt your feelings lil' fella, it will be OK, you can go back to your safe space now and grab your blankie and a juice box.

yes that's exactly what i'm going to do. Capri Sun even.

As long it's the fruit punch flavor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Clawmaster wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Before I got into the medical field, I did a few years in marketing/PR research, and they are of course, very interested in ways to manipulate public thought/opinions/takes.

Read several things on the limbic system and how social media uses visual and audio cues to trigger emotional responses, you see this as people stare happily at their phone reading posts and feeling vindicated via follows or likes.

You would expect politicians to jump on this as they were paying the company I worked for at the time for the same type if analysis that major retailers wanted.

You do see some rather interesting and somewhat disturbing results as you have college kids thinking it's cool to repost some rather antisemitic content in support of some rather fervent Muslim groups whose core beliefs, especially their views on women, would terrify them.

Essentially, they have been manipulated via social media and the "drama" that comes with feeling you are part of an oppressed group, or the feeling of being validated via social media for supporting said group.

tl;dr

Young people = wrong and stupid
Old people = correct and smart

Nope, plenty of old people on social media. You need to get out a little more, kinda starting to worry about ya Lil' fella.

I don’t believe you. Both of these things sound like lies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
I knew there was another word for it; I considered emailing one of my old linguistics professors to ask him. Those terms are probably the ones I used to hear. (One of Hemingway's characters spoke like this. Loved reading that.) Gonna look up some more.

It's a distinctive way to speak or write, and for some reason, I just love hearing it.

Will save this post so I remember all the names.

PS: I wrote a poem once that sort of did this, but the "you" is dropped:

"Might as well as face it, you're addicted to love"

pavlovian urge to spank it to the memory of that music video alone.

linguistics is where it's at. iirc, astronomy, classics and linguistics majors score highest on the GRE.

I tried and abandoned the first two in undergrad. Not many places have linguistics programs at the undergrad level, afaik.

If you do any googling on conversational deletion, you might run across this impressively complete reddit response from a decade ago.

Flipping through the provided links it looks like the null subject subject matter is studied mostly in commonwealth nations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hussra wrote:
I knew there was another word for it; I considered emailing one of my old linguistics professors to ask him. Those terms are probably the ones I used to hear. (One of Hemingway's characters spoke like this. Loved reading that.) Gonna look up some more.

It's a distinctive way to speak or write, and for some reason, I just love hearing it.

linguistics is where it's at. iirc, astronomy, classics and linguistics majors score highest on the GRE.

I tried and abandoned the first two in undergrad. Not many places have linguistics programs at the undergrad level, afaik.

If you do any googling on conversational deletion, you might run across this impressively complete reddit response from a decade ago.

Flipping through the provided links it looks like the null subject subject matter is studied mostly in commonwealth nations.

Get a room you two!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:55 pm 

from a year ago

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/tikt ... een-girls/

Quote:
The tics mimic those seen in Tourette syndrome, a neurological disorder that causes uncontainable movements and vocal sounds. But Tourette’s, which is relatively uncommon, is four times more likely in boys than in girls and typically presents between ages 5 and 7.

So why the sudden rise in teen girls experiencing Tourette’s-like symptoms? Pediatric neurologist Mohammed Aldosari, MD, talks about this disconcerting data, including the role of the social media platform TikTok and what parents can do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I'm not sure about "Addicted to drama," but "Selling the Drama" is a pretty damn good Live song.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Hussra wrote:

Wow--that is indeed a complete response! That's like someone's graduate exam notes. I might start a diary just to do the drop.

Not too many linguistics programs for undergrads, but Illinois has at least two (and possibly two of the oldest) in UIUC and U of C. Not sure about NU. Lots of places connect it with TESOL, and those blankety-blanks know zero about linguistics. Good to hear from another linguistics guy, though.

One of my profs wrote her dissertation on WH-clefting. So weird how this is totally interesting. Most of the others were in sociolinguistics, which is just a blast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Do try to insert unique words/phrases in order to recognize when someone has read, or in some cases, totally lifted something I had written, it was happening on social media, at work, and even in a masters thesis. The work one's were often poorly paraphrased, and it allowed me to clarify the issue in a follow up meeting.

It was quite interesting to read several takes I had posted being used by other posters, even more interesting to hear them on pods or sports talk radio.

Do it here, because it's kinda what we do, digital jousting, do like to read differing perspectives, do not always agree with LTG, but I have several educators in my family and respect the work he does, his posts do give me a unique perspective and have enjoyed our discussions over the years, plus he has very entertaining Bulls thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
that's why I embedded my bigotry right into my username. anyone else on here tries to talk shit about Chiner and I can pull rank and let them know I was on the anti-Chiner bigotry corner first and they need to move around and get their own ignorant blanket ethnic-hate narrative to proselytize.

Although I think the LangChain/Large Language Models (LLMs)/ML-AI thing portends death for plagiarism being an actionable offense--everyone's going to be plagiarizing everything; it's the nature of the technology to blindly copy-pasta whatever the chat prompt spits out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:18 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
I'm not sure about "Addicted to drama," but "Selling the Drama" is a pretty damn good Live song.

Homo vibe...