It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:55 pm 

Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
starship went to orbit. how is that a fail? the booster didnt land, oh well. the real goal is to land back at the pad anyway. this was going to land an ocean platform.

Getting something into orbit is something we've been able to do for decades.

correct. and getting a fully reusable, largest rocket ever built, into orbit has never been done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
It was slightly less than fully reusable today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:05 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
It was slightly less than fully reusable today.

they did not expect everything to work. the main goal was to reach orbital velocity. all engines fired and worked great, which is the core of their entire operation. today proved their work is headed in the right direction.

this is from the company that made the falcon 9, the most commercially successful rocket in history.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:07 pm 

That’s all super cool, but if it was “fully reusable” they wouldnt have sacrificed it to the gods today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
starship went to orbit. how is that a fail? the booster didnt land, oh well. the real goal is to land back at the pad anyway. this was going to land an ocean platform.

correct. and getting a fully reusable, largest rocket ever built, into orbit has never been done.

Purdue Rick is correct. Getting in orbit is "nominal". Getting home is admittedly hard. Both the booster and Starship failed on the hard part.

They're trying to do this on the cheap which adds difficulty. Any dummy, say NASA, can put 4 billion in a flight, and have great odds to be successful. SpaceX goal is 10 million a flight. It's crazy to think about and I applaud the effort. But it's going to take time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:11 pm 

That’s all super cool, but if it was “fully reusable” they wouldnt have sacrificed it to the gods today.

you would be a terrible plant manager.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:13 pm 

Nardi wrote:

They're trying to do this on the cheap which adds difficulty. Any dummy, say NASA, can put 4 billion in a flight, and have great odds to be successful. SpaceX goal is 10 million a flight. It's crazy to think about and I applaud the effort. But it's going to take time.

theyre basically doing to rockets what the auto industry did to cars. in a way, its a race to the bottom. who can make the cheapest one that still works? but in that rat race, efficiency emerges which opens the doors for more capability.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:14 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

As others have said though, it's not fully reusable until it doesn't disappear into the atmosphere. It's not even partly reusable.

It's like saying it wasn't a fail for me to miss a dunk because I touched the rim and I've never touched the rim before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:16 pm 

Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

As others have said though, it's not fully reusable until it doesn't disappear into the atmosphere. It's not even partly reusable.

It's like saying it wasn't a fail for me to miss a dunk because I touched the rim and I've never touched the rim before.

its like being an armchair quarterback. they didnt expect this to land safely today. they are applying the scientific method to engineering. failure is a part of the process.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:17 pm 

Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

I love the "it's like saying"s. Haven't seen one in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:20 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

its like being an armchair quarterback. they didnt expect this to land safely today. they are applying the scientific method to engineering. failure is a part of the process.

They'll try again in June. I think the booster has the best shot at the soft landing. They have more experience at getting that done. But the thing is just so fucking big. Like landing an apartment building.

Last edited by Nardi on Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:20 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Well, that's fine if they expected to fail. When they expect to succeed then I hope they do it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:23 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

We get it, shit happens, but you can’t claim what they used today is fully reusable. It was fully crashable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:31 pm 

If they left this up to NASA to figure out, my granddaughter would be 83 and it would cost 1 Gazillion.

If you are for space flight, things are going fine. Not great, but fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:35 pm 

I am into it. It’s just not fully anything except disposable at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:45 pm 

The Starship cult is irritating, no doubt. Fields-like.
At some point, they can't be "test flights" anymore. By #5, you gotta land these fuckers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Nardi wrote:
At some point, they can't be "test flights" anymore. By #5, you gotta land these fuckers.

You’re complaining that commercial rocket science isn’t moving fast enough?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:15 pm 

Nardi wrote:

i love how i am on the smart side of this thread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:18 pm 

Nardi wrote:
If they left this up to NASA to figure out, my granddaughter would be 83 and it would cost 1 Gazillion.

If you are for space flight, things are going fine. Not great, but fine.

if NASA tried to do this,.. uh, they did try. the space shuttle was supposed to be mostly reusable, but after all of their planning they realized it wasnt a financially feasible design. they basically had to rebuild it each flight, when it was supposed to have dozens of flights per year.

spacex has already proven its possible. theyre now trying to do it on the scale that NASA tried. if they ultimately fail, its not like anyone else had done it better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:39 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:42 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:42 pm 

That last one looks fake. It's unbelievable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:49 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:04 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Nardi wrote:

You’re complaining that commercial rocket science isn’t moving fast enough?

Yes. Blue Origin is like 8 years delayed. United Launch Alliance 4 years. Heavy rockets just aren't coming on line as hoped. Including Starship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:28 pm 

Brick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Well, that's fine if they expected to fail. When they expect to succeed then I hope they do it.

so you think spaceX is fine?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:29 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Yes. Blue Origin is like 8 years delayed. United Launch Alliance 4 years. Heavy rockets just aren't coming on line as hoped. Including Starship.

because physics. elon was asked a long time ago why starship is the size it is, and if theres an even bigger rocket in the plans.

he said probably not, because starship is designed for earth, which means it can't be much bigger than it is and still get to space.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:47 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Nardi wrote:

because physics. elon was asked a long time ago why starship is the size it is, and if theres an even bigger rocket in the plans.

he said probably not, because starship is designed for earth, which means it can't be much bigger than it is and still get to space.

They did not meet their expected launch dates. Two of them by a really really long time and the one that is flying is crashing and and burning. I'm sorry that hurts your feelings.

There's a bit of a space race with China and it's pretty close. Building shitty launchpads and putting on 30 yr old heat shield tech that constantly fall off isn't helping things.

So flight one was a Project Mercury blow up. Flight two was the the Challenger and now flight three was Columbia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:12 pm 

china? :lol: the country that fills their missile silos with water to fool everyone into thinking theyre live munitions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:19 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
china? :lol: the country that fills their missile silos with water to fool everyone into thinking theyre live munitions?

Yes, them. Scheduled to be on the moon in 2030.