It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:15 am 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
This story is a little bizarre.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/11/28 ... basketball

Quote:
On Tuesday morning, Erin Savage learned that her son Brendan was back on the Hinsdale South basketball team as a result of a lawsuit she filed last week. The Hinsdale Township School Board made the decision in a meeting on Monday night.

The school district didn’t give Savage any guarantee that Brendan would receive playing time.

“How stupid would it be to have Brendan sitting there on the bench?” Savage said. “They haven’t said anything about that but are hoping he will play.”

Savage sued the school district and several employees when Brendan was cut from the team after tryouts. The lawsuit was filed on Nov. 22 in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division. It alleged that Hinsdale South boys basketball coach Michael Belcaster cut Brendan after tryouts this fall in retaliation for the family filing a complaint against the previous coach, Michael Moretti.
Belcaster was the sophomore coach under Moretti last season.

“I’ve never filed a lawsuit before,” Savage told the Sun-Times on Monday. “Our six kids have been involved in approximately 31 varsity sports at the high school. I’ve never complained about a coach. But we’ve also never encountered [someone] who thinks he can do whatever he wants. That was [Moretti].”

The lawsuit hasn’t been dropped yet.

“If they put him on the team and never play him it is the same retaliation,” Savage’s lawyer Steven Glink said. “But for now it is great news. I’m very happy for the boy and his parents and I applaud the board for doing the right thing.”
Belcaster, a first-year head coach, didn’t decline to answer questions about Savage after the win against Glenbard South on Tuesday. He acted like he couldn’t hear them.

The first question to Belcaster was about Friday’s game. His answer: “We are going to get out and we’re gonna scout [Downers Grove South] a little bit more tomorrow. I’ve already been watching film for weeks ahead. That’s sort of what I do. So we’re going to take the best play and try to get a win together.”

Then I asked Belcaster if Savage would be in the rotation on Friday and what the plan was for working him back into the team.

Belcaster cupped his hand around his ear and leaned forward. I asked the question again. He repeated the motion. Then another reporter asked how Savage’s integration to the team would go. Belcaster said he couldn’t hear anything and walked away
Hinsdale South coach Michael Belcaster looks on during the game against Glenbard South.
Hinsdale South coach Michael Belcaster looks on during the game against Glenbard South.Kirsten Stickney/For the Sun-Times
Hinsdale South hasn’t released a statement on the matter yet. A school district spokesperson said the district doesn’t comment on legal matters.

“Brendan texted [Belcaster] at like four or five and said he’d like to sit on the bench and support the team,” Erin Savage said. “[Belcaster] never responded.”

Savage said the plan is for Brendan to attend practice on Wednesday.

“He’s allowed to,” Savage said. “All you can do is hope that they figure it out.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:54 am 

This should go well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Helicopter parenting gone bad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 am 

how do you even fit 31 varsity sports into the schedule of 6 kids unless its the bs sports

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:37 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Julie has weighed in at Deadspin, taking the old "headlines don't tell the story" angle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:

A coach cuts one of his best players and that's your takeaway?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

There must be a reason for the kid getting cut originally. We're not getting the full story here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

There must be a reason for the kid getting cut originally. We're not getting the full story here.

This

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

This

He was cut because he complained about the previous coach, who was then demoted. The new coach, who is close friends with the demoted coach, didn't want him on the team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yeah he ran to mommy who got a lawyer. What else is this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Have you guys read the story? The kid got the previous coach demoted by complaining about what the school board admitted was the coach's inappropriate behavior. That being the case, I'm not sure why the guy is still allowed to coach at all. Regardless, it seems pretty clear the coach's assistant who is now the head coach is retaliating against the kid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:59 am 

It happens. So we have set a presidence, don't make the school team, go cry to mommy to get a laywer and fix everything. School sports will come down to who can afford the best attorney. Is this the world you want?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

So you think it's just fine for a coach to act inappropriately in some manner to the point where he is demoted and the coach's former assistant, collegaue, and likely friend to cut one of his best players for complaining about the previous coach's admittedly inappropriate behavior?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
It happens. So we have set a presidence, don't make the school team, go cry to mommy to get a laywer and fix everything. School sports will come down to who can afford the best attorney. Is this the world you want?

The kid has been an all-conference player since his sophomore year. Cutting him from the team seems like a pretty egregious abuse of power by the new coach.

Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:

This isn't about a kid not making the team because he can't shoot or defend. It's about a two-time all-conference player being cut for complaining about a coach's inappropriate behavior. If it were your kid you'd be screaming about it.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

So you think it's just fine for a coach to act inappropriately in some manner to the point where he is demoted and the coach's former assistant, collegaue, and likely friend to cut one of his best players for complaining about the previous coach's admittedly inappropriate behavior?

You probably would have been for Bob Knight getting fired. How was the coach acting inappropriately?

Tall Midget wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

The kid has been an all-conference player since his sophomore year. Cutting him from the team seems like a pretty egregious abuse of power by the new coach.

Politics happens in sports. News at 10.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Have you guys read the story? The kid got the previous coach demoted by complaining about what the school board admitted was the coach's inappropriate behavior. That being the case, I'm not sure why the guy is still allowed to coach at all. Regardless, it seems pretty clear the coach's assistant who is now the head coach is retaliating against the kid.

I'm curious as to what the "inappropriate" conduct was.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You trust the school board? Cmon Pinko Jorr...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
the kid would have to be off the reservation crazy to choose to cut him instead of "dealing" with him. it's not some fringe starter, the kid was all conference as a junior. bizarre story. i dont doubt the kid probably is difficult to work with, but as a coach you need to figure out how to work with a talented kid like that..... and then to just cut him? that's stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

You probably would have been for Bob Knight getting fired.

This is high school sports, not big time college athletics which I don't think should even exist. And Knight eventually did get fired.

Caller Bob wrote:
How was the coach acting inappropriately?

I don't know but the school board found that he did. Maybe they should come out and say exactly what it was in light of what has happened since.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No. I think they should have stiopped the guy from coaching altogether instead of giving him the sophomore or freshman team and having his buddy who replaced him retaliate against the student.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No. I think they should have stiopped the guy from coaching altogether instead of giving him the sophomore or freshman team and having his buddy who replaced him retaliate against the student.

Again, you're basing your entire viewpoint on what the school board is telling you.

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

if this decision to demote the coach came directly from the D86 board, then it falls in line with how they handle all business.... that school board is a disaster. 2 members just quit because the board majority was impossible to work with. The politics and infighting on that board has been terrible for the last several years

The best players don't always make the team. For the HS in my district they flat out say it's a combination talent, coachability and teamwork.

Its it fair, probably not, but luckily after HS life is ALWAYS fair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Again, you're basing your entire viewpoint on what the school board is telling you.

We have plenty of recent history to suggest the school board probably isn't on the side of the parents. The fact that they ruled against the coach at all says a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:14 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

You probably would have been for Bob Knight getting fired.

This is high school sports, not big time college athletics which I don't think should even exist. And Knight eventually did get fired.

Caller Bob wrote:
How was the coach acting inappropriately?

I don't know but the school board found that he did. Maybe they should come out and say exactly what it was in light of what has happened since.

The kid accused the coach of being verbally abusive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:16 am 

:lol: :lol: Verbally abusive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
The kid accused the coach of being verbally abusive.

It's funny because personally I think that makes the kid a pussy and the coach should be able to run the team the way he wants. But I'm 60 years old and there has obviously been a different paradigm in place for awhile. It can't be that we teach these kids that anything that hurts their feelings is "violence" and then punish the kid when he actually believes that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:19 am 

Here is probably what happened.

Old Coach: This kid is a fucking prick.

Kid: That's abusive

School Board: Yeah kid, you're probably right. We won't make that guy coach you again

New Coach: This kid is a fucking prick. I'm cutting him.

Mom: I'm suing.