It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leave it to the Brits
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Pointing out the profit schemes in the US Education system will get you cancelled quickly here in the good old USA, but the Brits take great pleasure in ripping the US education system, https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -vs-screen

Seems the technology only works after kids have attained an adequate reading comprehension level and that there is really no substitute for having young children in a classroom with teachers providing direct personal reading instruction.

It would seem that this would be a primary target and that there would be a national push for volunteers to help provide one to one reading assistance for younger kids, especially those that are falling behind.

You see the impact of poor reading comprehension and poor vocabulary manifest itself in the lack of critical thinking skills, makes it easy to keep people happy with 30 second Tik Tok dance videos, but makes it impossible to have deep discussions of multifaceted issues with humans.

The author points out that the educational industrial complex is quite daunting and powerful, you get superintendents, principals, and the professors that groom them involved and you have school boards rubber stamping the purchase of totally unproven educational materials and technology.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
How about some cliff notes, ClawGPT?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:50 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
How about some cliff notes, ClawGPT?

You just dated yourself my friend.

You do strike me as the type of guy that would not read the book and just read the cliff notes then hope against hope that the teacher was lazy and just used the cliffs notes test questions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I like books and paper over the computer. I print almost everything important and I learn the best when I write it down. If I have to write a paper I write and edit and type the final draft. My kids thought I was nuts and they started doing it and think it's better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
KJV:

Chaucer:

DFW:

Hicks:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
The ability of a young child to read is paramount in his or her development. That needs to be fostered by the parent(s), by reading to and with their children from birth thru age 6.

And ChatGPT...good lord, is that something you want to read? I find it the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard

The use of AI will change things but in medicine and other areas, and certainly in mundane tasks...not in writing...it's all derivative

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Clawmaster wrote:

Seems the technology only works after kids have attained an adequate reading comprehension level and that there is really no substitute for having young children in a classroom with teachers providing direct personal reading instruction.

This is the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:12 am 

There was an interesting discussion here not too long ago i/c/w a local school board issue.

It was easy to trace the seeming conflicts of interests involved in the purchase of educational materials.

Like to go to Google Books, you get a synopsis of the book, can look into the research cited, but found it interesting that the comments about one of the books they had purchased interesting as the comments were all positive, but when you looked into who wrote the comments you found they were all from fellow educators that had written similar educational materials and that the authors had previously purchased books for their school district written by the commentators.

It becomes a type of educational industrial complex, I buy your book, you buy mine, it's all junk science because I cite your half ass research in my book as actual peer reviewed research and you cite my half ass research in your book, it looks somewhat legitimate until you do even the most basic literature review.

School boards then spend billions of dollars on these materials that are often found to be totally ineffective.

This of course becomes easy because there are very few people capable of doing the critical thought and analysis needed to look into the subject, and quite frankly the smart people are doing research that is much more lucrative in labs across the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:59 am 

Drugs -> sex -> unwanted crotchfruit -> take any free babysitter they can find -> dont care if expensive text books are ineffective. no crotch fruit in the house, worth it.