Did capitalism kill mental hospitals?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
You’re their best customer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
IkeSouth wrote:
Did capitalism kill mental hospitals?

No, again it was was the progressives (and their friends at the ACLU) with their "good intentions" and, as usual, pointed the finger when it turned to shit.

Now stand by and watch who gets blamed. They will have documentation by the writers of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It was St. Ronny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:40 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
yes. i believe it was big pharma that did the trick.

for a price, their mental illness medicine can heal/save a patient...no need for a patient to live in a controlled environment. in fact, you are a bad spouse/parent/child/sibling, abandoning your family's loved one, if you commit a family member to a medieval institution.

unfortunately, some people are beyond that and need to be institutionalized. big pharma disagrees...so much so, that they are the usa's biggest lobbying group.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:35 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

for a price, their mental illness medicine can heal/save a patient...no need for a patient to live in a controlled environment. in fact, you are a bad spouse/parent/child/sibling, abandoning your family's loved one, if you commit a family member to a medieval institution.

unfortunately, some people are beyond that and need to be institutionalized. big pharma disagrees...so much so, that they are the usa's biggest lobbying group.

It wasn't big pharma. We decided as a society that someone not convicted of a crime can't be held against their will. So, the people that would be in mental institutions for valid reasons could just chose to leave and not surprisingly most chose to leave.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:08 am 

It was so much easier when we singled out the jews

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

It wasn't big pharma. We decided as a society that someone not convicted of a crime can't be held against their will. So, the people that would be in mental institutions for valid reasons could just chose to leave and not surprisingly most chose to leave.

The term 'looney bin' fell out of favor for some reason. If we had only guarded our language with dobermans like we do today, maybe things would have been different.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Brick wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

The origins of the deinstitutionalization movement coincide with the development of the first "effective" anti-psychotic medications.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Apparently Jenny McCarthy did not invent autism. Shutting down the asylums unleashed the constellation kids on the world and we were forced to acknowledge their humanity:

I always thought like everything else endlessly debated in American society in the last 60 years--lower taxes, vietnam, oral contraceptives, Stanley Kubrick films, the Beatles, President Obama, ostensibly adult men voluntarily--eagerly even--dressing like hobos in public, stand-up comedy, Russian teen anal-gaping pr0n etc etc--it began with JFK:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:01 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Brick wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

The origins of the deinstitutionalization movement coincide with the development of the first "effective" anti-psychotic medications.

But they would have gotten those inside the mental institutions and at a more effective schedule.

There are court cases in the 70s that made involuntary institutionalization impossible for more than a very short time unless it was accompanied by a crime.

The drugs also made it easier to say they were "safe" to be released but after release many ended up not being stringent with taking it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Lots of CIA and government experiments were performed in those places. I imagine the renewed focus on mental health and drugs will bring back those programs. I can't watch a video about the Bears future HoF quarterback on YouTube without seeing an ad encouraging me to buy drugs.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:11 pm 

Last edited by Hussra on Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
This is why you are my guy

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Brick wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

It wasn't big pharma.
Quote:
We decided as a society that someone not convicted of a crime can't be held against their will
. So, the people that would be in mental institutions for valid reasons could just chose to leave and not surprisingly most chose to leave.

that was a part of the argument against.

Quote:
We decided as a society that someone not convicted of a crime can't be held against their will

not sure if getting smallpox is a crime, i believe you can be detained/isolated, if infected. a physician makes that call, as a physician can make a call if a person will cause harm to others/patient's self, if allowed into society.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:47 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
not sure if getting smallpox is a crime, i believe you can be detained/isolated, if infected. a physician makes that call, as a physician can make a call if a person will cause harm to others/patient's self, if allowed into society.
That's why the "treatment" ended a lot of that. Patients would be better with the drugs. They were just incredibly likely to stop using them. Still though, are you giving what is in effect a life sentence in a mental institution because someone could potentially be a danger?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:14 am 

hold people accountable for their actions, not their thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:30 am 

Brick wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
That's why the "treatment" ended a lot of that. Patients would be better with the drugs. They were just incredibly likely to stop using them. Still though, are you giving what is in effect a life sentence in a mental institution because someone could potentially be a danger?

That's why FDA started requiring Zuranolone, Xolani, Lumateperone, Eniola , Auvelity, Zariya, Abena, KarXT etc come coated with a milligram of tasty cherry nicotine & a light dusting of rainbow fentanyl sprinkles--ne'er again will a mental-mental not take their daily dose(s).

if we can make cigarettes people will suck on knowing they're dooming themselves to a horrific last 6 months of life on the way to an early grave and crack people will suck a dick for another hit, why not make the important drugs equally moreish.

never seen a cigarette smoker forget a smoke break. or crack beyond its smoke-by date just sitting around the house unsmoked.

Last edited by Hussra on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
KDdidit wrote:
It was St. Ronny

To think if we elected Perot in 1992 we could’ve been using these kids nutrients for all kinds of economical purposes for over 30 years by now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Nas wrote:
Lots of CIA and government experiments were performed in those places. I imagine the renewed focus on mental health and drugs will bring back those programs. I can't watch a video about the Bears future HoF quarterback on YouTube without seeing an ad encouraging me to buy drugs.

Find Jimmie "Dynomite" Walker and Art Fonzerelli shilling for reverse mortgages more disturbing.

Have to say the chubby gal singing and shaking her ample ass while extolling the virtues of Jardiance has been quite effective, almost all the diabetics we see are on it now.

As the board knows the Claw is an annoyingly curious dude, so cannot help but notice the certain drugs are heavily advertised during certain programs, and given the fact that the drug companies do extensive research on target audiences, one cannot help but think that they are targeting people that think they are a bit off in hopes they will go to a disinterested PCP who will dutifully send over a script for the feel good pills.

Off topic, but the recent conversion from paper scripts to all electronic has certainly thrown the opioid seeks into a tizzy, surprised the drug factories have not given a few envelopes full of cash to politicians to make this go away, but maybe they have moved on to the weight loss meds which are the new profit generators, but it is making things tough on the addicts, get calls every single day from people that claim the local Walgreens has run out of Norco or Oxy and want a new paper script or to have their script sent to another pharmacy, little do they know that they all use the same system.

Just keeping it real here, you might hear about this six months from now.