It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 am 

There are about a billion apps/services out there designed to make things easier for you. I'm going to provide you with a chance to improve your life by recommending ones that I like. My life sucks too so if someone else has a suggestion on how to make it suck less then feel free to provide it. Being that we are on a computer, most of them will be computer related services but this is meant to be pretty wide open. Books, helpful hints, or other offline stuff is perfectly acceptable for this thread. After all, only 99% of most of our lives consist of being on the internet.

LastPass...or other password managers.
The first suggestion I have is to switch to a password manager such as http://www.lastpass.com. Basically, an encrypted file on your computer is created which stores passwords to the various sites you go to(email, this message board, facebook). You can choose which sites it does this for and which ones don't have it. It basically autofills it in and you don't have to remember a password. Now, you may be asking yourself "But, isn't that not safe?". Ideally, you would store a password that looks like this in your head "ImU0Su7k$" and then type it out every time. However, that's really hard to remember so people instead make the password "chas1" which is much easier to get hacked. Also, people spend a lot of time with the "forgot password" forms. By using a password manager, you can avoid all this and just have one password to remember. Note: It is very important to not forget your master password so make it something you should definitely be able to remember with a hint.

This also works across all of your browsers and across all computers. Lastpass had a $12 a year charge to sync to mobile devices if that is your thing. Otherwise, it's completely free.

The encrypted file is also synchronized with a server, and depending on the service you can put it on a whole bunch of other devices. There is some pretty big competition in this area, so google "password managers" and see what else they have. I'd provide more links but you can't on here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:15 am 

Online notes system
I have recently started using one of these again and for someone who is on the computer a lot it's a great tool. My favorite has become http://simplenoteapp.com/ for it's ease of use. Basically, you can create a bunch of synchronized text files that are searchable and a history is recorded by simply typing it in. Great for grocery lists, to do lists, reminders, and pretty much anything else someone can do by writing something down.

Where this really excels is when combined with a windows application called GumNotes. This links together your account and whatever you are doing on your computer. Go to gumnotes dot com and download this. The configuration takes about 2 minutes and you now have the ability to create a note based on whatever file or web page you have open. By hitting Ctrl-R a popup window shows up in the bottom right that I can type notes in. Then, when I return to this url I will see that note automatically. You can also view all notes and search them either through GumNotes or Simplenote.

You can also share notes with others by simply providing their email address. This is great for a wife or co-worker. They can edit them too.

The simplenote page also contains a whole bunch of links to downloads for your smartphone or pc so you can put this on pretty much anything you want and have it all synced together. Highly recommended.