It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm starting out with a couple Johnnie Black and sodas at Pete Miller's. Then on to my buddy's private bar The Harris-Barker for a nice lineup of red wines. I'm bringing a bottle of '04 Cristal for midnight. I've got Uber loaded on my phone so you puritans need not worry about me driving.

JORR Howitt Fealz. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Starting off with Clown Shoes Pecan Pie Porter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:
Starting off with Clown Shoes Pecan Pie Porter.

That's really good. We had one on Christmas.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: The one I make every friday night
vodka..lots of it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:32 am 

The lineup was:

1. some dogfishhead 10% alcohol beer that I didn't want but my friend was very proud of so I took
2. small batch scotch from scotland that his wife bought in her families small home town. The woman gave me a solo cup about half filled with it so that took a long time to finish and put me in the mood.
3. another of the beer as no one was drinking it and my friend was getting upset
4. warm glug...the first glass was great, nice and warm after hanging outside for a little while with the smokers. The second glass made me not want to drink glug again
5. champagne toast
6. one more beer for the road

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Road soda? That's how good dolphin rolls.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Tall Midget's celebratory drinked included:

1)Long Trail (Vermont Microbrew) IPA
2)Long Trail Hibernator Scotch Ale
3)Homemade Margaritas (recipe from Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen cookbook)
4)Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (on tap)
5)Corsendonk Elf Ale (on tap)

The Long Trail and Sierra Nevada brews were all very good to excellent, but the Corsendonk was too sweet for my palate. Bayless' margarita recipe is always a winner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget:

Have you been to Ward 8 yet? Nice craft cocktails but it's in a strange place across the street from the Tally-Ho. No sign so you kind of have to know it's there. There's a lot of controversy about it since the City of Evanston gave a no-rent lease and built the bar and an apartment upstairs out for the couple that "own" the joint. Who knew Cody Modeer was the Jerry Reinsdorf of Evanston. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget:

Have you been to Ward 8 yet? Nice craft cocktails but it's in a strange place across the street from the Tally-Ho. No sign so you kind of have to know it's there. There's a lot of controversy about it since the City of Evanston gave a no-rent lease and built the bar and an apartment upstairs out for the couple that "own" the joint. Who knew Cody Modeer was the Jerry Reinsdorf of Evanston. :lol:

No, I haven't been there, but I am extremely curious about the place. That really is a terrible location.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget:

No, I haven't been there, but I am extremely curious about the place. That really is a terrible location.

Yeah, my good friend Albert who had a legendary Sound System used to own the building, 629 Howard, and he ran Roadmaster International Records out of there. Some years ago Albert had a stroke and he moved back to Jamaica. His kids and his nephew, DJ Lazer tried to run the record store for awhile but they all lacked Albert's work ethic. Ironically, it was the American-born family members who were on island time.

Apparently, the City of Evanston bought the building in an attempt to stem neighborhood blight. I think it might take more than one building, but maybe that's a start. I can understand the controversy, as there are plenty of unemployed young guys living steps away from there who would probably love to get free rent from the city to operate a business. Not to mention a free freshly built out apartment. But they can complain all they want. None of them had a business plan like this young couple. I hope the place makes it but I have my doubts. They certainly have a nice head start with all the concessions from the city though.

As far as the actual bar goes, I like it. They have a small menu with several small plates and a couple sandwiches. Some charcuterie and cheese. Not on the same level as Vincent or the Purple Pig, but perfectly adequate. This isn't a dinner destination. It's a place for a nice cocktail. The Blood and Sand is as good as you're likely to find outside the Dresden. Not that it matters much in that kind of cocktail, but the Scotch he was using was a blended called Monkey Shoulder. One thing that struck me as strange was a sign that had rules. For example, "no ballcaps". (On the night I was there one customer was wearing a ballcap.) Kind of jarring for a spot like this, but I'm sure Evanston insisted on it. I don't think you need a sign to keep the Tally-Ho crowd out. The prices will probably do it. You can dress it up as nice as you want, it's still a Howard Street bar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
I think Simon's is on the east side of Clark. Do you live up that way, Beni? Have you been to that gay hamburger place?

West side, Sam. Hamburger Mary's is just okay and it's very, very gay.

I guess a few stinky things going on at Mary's has more than one meaning.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150317 ... violations

Quote:
ANDERSONVILLE — Beloved Andersonville restaurant Hamburger Mary's was shut down for health code violations Tuesday.

A neon green sign was plastered to the window of the popular burger joint, 5400 N. Clark St., which says the restaurant's license has been suspended. It's dated March 17.

Another sign on the inside door reads: "Sorry we are closed today. Having kitchen issues. :("

At noon Tuesday, the restaurant posted on its Facebook page advertising its martini special "in honor of St. Patrick's Day" and urging potential customers to come in and "try them all!"

More to come.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:18 am 

Hamburger Mary's pretends it is some mom and pop place catering to the community but I was disappointed to see there was one in St. Louis on my travels beyond civilization.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:22 am 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I am under the weather and looking for something that gives you that burn from the first sip. I am going to someone's house so I cannot be too picky. I'll probably throw a quick shot of jack down and then maybe a glass of scotch if he has it.
Drink gasoline.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:30 am 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
I think Simon's is on the east side of Clark. Do you live up that way, Beni? Have you been to that gay hamburger place?

West side, Sam. Hamburger Mary's is just okay and it's very, very gay.

I guess a few stinky things going on at Mary's has more than one meaning.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150317 ... violations

Quote:
ANDERSONVILLE — Beloved Andersonville restaurant Hamburger Mary's was shut down for health code violations Tuesday.

A neon green sign was plastered to the window of the popular burger joint, 5400 N. Clark St., which says the restaurant's license has been suspended. It's dated March 17.

Another sign on the inside door reads: "Sorry we are closed today. Having kitchen issues. :("

At noon Tuesday, the restaurant posted on its Facebook page advertising its martini special "in honor of St. Patrick's Day" and urging potential customers to come in and "try them all!"

More to come.

This is an epic but decidedly bizarre bump, spmack. Do you just remember these old threads or do you regularly peruse forgotten posts in hopes of stumbling upon new mult revelations? You are emerging as an increasingly strange figure. I am scared of you.