It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
The government should just loan these poor people money.

Or maybe the people who are so concerned about the Walmart employees should be subsidizing the Walmart paychecks themselves! If it's easy to tell Walmart to give away their own money for no reason, they must already be in the "support a Walmart employee" program.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:06 am 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Again like I said, it's not Walmarts fault these people got themselves into this situation. They have an obligation to the people that own stock in the company more than they do the workers.

No they dont. That's a terrible way of thinking and if a Walmart higher up said that, he'd be fired.

Chris_in_joliet wrote:

You don't have to have it in your mission statement to know that's what they are trying to do.

Yes, thats what they are doing. That is wrong.

Profit does not automatically make something righteous

You guys seem to be looking at this like freebies for lazy minimum wage earners. Dont look at it that way.

Look at it like this: "I dont want to pay people because WalMart doesnt pay them enough to live"

That's exactly what's happening

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Or maybe the people who are so concerned about the Walmart employees should be subsidizing the Walmart paychecks themselves!

We ALREADY ARE!!

THAT'S THE POINT!

Bucky Chris wrote:
If it's easy to tell Walmart to give away their own money for no reason, they must already be in the "support a Walmart employee" program.

Yes, its called "Public Assistance"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:14 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Or maybe the people who are so concerned about the Walmart employees should be subsidizing the Walmart paychecks themselves!

We ALREADY ARE!!

THAT'S THE POINT!

Bucky Chris wrote:
If it's easy to tell Walmart to give away their own money for no reason, they must already be in the "support a Walmart employee" program.

Yes, its called "Public Assistance"

But if you would just pay them a little more yourself, I wouldn't have to pay as much. Think of my children!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:15 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Or maybe the people who are so concerned about the Walmart employees should be subsidizing the Walmart paychecks themselves! If it's easy to tell Walmart to give away their own money for no reason, they must already be in the "support a Walmart employee" program.
Educate yourself on the business practices of Wal-Mart before you go down this route please. The problem is much bigger than simply paying minimum wage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Douchebag wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hawg Ass wrote:
Close down Wal-Mart, problem solved. Next issue?

Then where will people in Wisconsin and Arkansas shop?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Nobody has any money anyway, it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Educate yourself on the business practices of Wal-Mart before you go down this route please. The problem is much bigger than simply paying minimum wage.

I've seen the documentary. And the picketers signs outside our Walmart. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RPB you didn't address the part of my post about higher minimum wage causing inflation etc. Bigfan also mentioned this.

I took this link http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/factsheet/ as it is seemingly anti walmart to be fair. The avg. hourly wage of a sales associate is $8.81/hour. Figure 32 hours a week to eliminate kids working maybe 20 I get 281.92 per week and 1,127.68 per a four week month and close to 14,700 per year.

That would seem to me to be a living wage. If you are single, are a wife/mother as the family's second income, someone that didn't have 5 kids... Get a 400/month apartment and try to improve your lot. Walmart or any company is not and should not pay everyone 30k a year which would be 18/hour in my scenario of 32 hours per week.

As for share holders as you would have learned in any biz class they are the most important in the whole mess. If the management did things to purposely lower profits they would be out and could be sued or in some cases prosecuted. Leaving aside moral pipe dreams or mission statements to gain more love from the public a corporation exists to make a profit and maximize value for share holders.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:
I've seen the documentary. And the picketers signs outside our Walmart. :D
I get it. You just want to justify to yourself shopping at Wal-Mart even though you can afford to not do it. That's fine, but don't act like the legal, moral and ethical questions aren't valid about Wal-Mart.

Last edited by Brick on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
WalMart is the poster child for the failure of capitalism. REVOLUTION NOW!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Employee-wise Wal-Mart is a plantation of sorts or some feudal kingdom with a whole lot of serfs. The prices sure are low when they first bribe and bully their way in to a small/medium town or city center....but when they work and succeed at smashing local businesses those prices climb right back up.

I believe things were different under Old Man Walton but his direction for the company changed before his body was cold in the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I don't really love Walmart but what are they doing that any other corporation in the US isn't doing legally? Just yesterday after the government bailed their ass out and they denied it during election season Chrysler sending jobs away to China/Russia. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... |FRONTPAGE

Or maybe anything that beloved Apple is doing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I get it. You just want to justify to yourself shopping at Wal-Mart even though you can afford to not do it. That's fine, but don't act like the legal, moral and ethical questions aren't valid about Wal-Mart.

I never shop in Walmart, except for the occasional black friday deal. All Target, all the time.

I'm sure there are many things Walmart does that I wouldn't like, but increasing their min wage isn't one of them. The government defines the minimum wage for a reason. If it's not enough, the government should raise it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am 

What's the actual percentage of hourly workers that actually make the minimum wage?

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2011.htm

As of 2011 it was 5.2% of all hourly wage workers in the U.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am 

Bucky Chris wrote:

But if you would just pay them a little more yourself, I wouldn't have to pay as much. Think of my children!

So now youre deliving into "just keep repeating false logic"?

Why would I pay them, when you are not only willng to pay but you argue in favor of the place!

Will you pay my taxes?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
SomeGuy wrote:
Employee-wise Wal-Mart is a plantation of sorts or some feudal kingdom with a whole lot of serfs. The prices sure are low when they first bribe and bully their way in to a small/medium town or city center....but when they work and succeed at smashing local businesses those prices climb right back up.

I believe things were different under Old Man Walton but his direction for the company changed before his body was cold in the ground.

I seem to remember WalMart priding itself in carrying American-made goods. Somewhere along the line it became a Chinese junk shop that dumped inferior product at low, low prices in order to eliminate competition. In many small towns where industry has disappeared (since America doesn't manufacture anymore) retail is the only game for the uneducated worker. That means WalMart. To some degree the worker/consumer is complicit in the rise of WalMart with his refusal to pay a few cents more to mom and pop.

Obviously, this is far more complicated than "go to school, get a better job", since hundreds of thousands of college graduates are unemployed. And many people simply aren't cut out for the types of jobs college grads traditionally seek. There has to be a place for that guy to support a family or it won't be long before there are riots in the streets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:53 am 

Btw, unless it is a big ticket item I still prefer to go to my local family owned True Value rather than Wally World, or Lowes. The way the area is here for groceries or a pair of wrangler jeans you have to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Nobody is forcing those people to work at Walmart are they? Are they holding a gun to anyone's head and saying you must work here? Walmart has a job to do and that's provide stock dividends for their share holders. They don't need to make sure that Joe Blow has enough money to get by. Again, nobody is forcing them to work there.

Certainly not in New York, with the new gun legislation and all.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

I seem to remember WalMart priding itself in carrying American-made goods. Somewhere along the line it became a Chinese junk shop that dumped inferior product at low, low prices in order to eliminate competition. In many small towns where industry has disappeared (since America doesn't manufacture anymore) retail is the only game for the uneducated worker. That means WalMart. To some degree the worker/consumer is complicit in the rise of WalMart with his refusal to pay a few cents more to mom and pop.

Obviously, this is far more complicated than "go to school, get a better job", since hundreds of thousands of college graduates are unemployed. And many people simply aren't cut out for the types of jobs college grads traditionally seek. There has to be a place for that guy to support a family or it won't be long before there are riots in the streets.

Yep. Again, though, WalMart I think is best for a HS or College kid or as a second job for the non bread winner in a family sort of. As for the people Jorr mentions I think some people need to be more realistic. A lot of people go to college for things not really highly valued in the economy or everyone wants to be some 6 figure person. Some might consider trades or other apprenticeships ans so on. Being realistic about yourself might lead you into different areas where you are not working at Walmart trying to support a family of 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Walmart's employees receive $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. They are also the top recipients of Medicaid in numerous states. Why does this occur? Walmart fails to provide a livable wage and decent healthcare benefits, costing U.S. taxpayers an annual average of $1.02 billion in healthcare costs. This direct public subsidy is being given to offset the failures of an international corporate giant who shouldn’t be shifting part of its labor costs onto the American taxpayers.

Wow, disturbing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Piggly Wiggly.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 am 

SomeGuy wrote:

See downtown Rockton. It's a ghost town now.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Chus wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Piggly Wiggly.

I loved the Piggly Wiggly in Kenosha when I was a youngin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am 

pittmike wrote:
RPB you didn't address the part of my post about higher minimum wage causing inflation etc. Bigfan also mentioned this.

I said nothing about raising minimum wage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I don't even find Wal-Mart's prices that low.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am 

pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Yep. Again, though, WalMart I think is best for a HS or College kid or as a second job for the non bread winner in a family sort of. As for the people Jorr mentions I think some people need to be more realistic. A lot of people go to college for things not really highly valued in the economy or everyone wants to be some 6 figure person. Some might consider trades or other apprenticeships ans so on. Being realistic about yourself might lead you into different areas where you are not working at Walmart trying to support a family of 4.

Good stuff, gents. I remember a battle over federal minimum from back on the early 2000's and the rallying cry was "How are you supposed to provide for a family on what minimum wage is?" My answer was, "You're not."

Also, with education, students have to realize the kind of economy and world we are in and where the future may take us when planning a degree/trade etc. Getting a degree in English/Women's Studies/Liberal Arts/Sociology/Philosophy etc probably aren't going to lead to anything substantial in those specific fields. That's why I laughed at those "We are the 99%" pictures that had people saying they had a degree in Art or something and were super pissed that they were unemployed.

Although, JORR, the U.S. does manufacture quite a bit still. Per dollar total of good manufactured the U.S. is still #1 in the world. Of course that doesn't take into account the manufacturing jobs lost but I thought it important. China has been losing manufacturing jobs for a decade now....the river will flow downhill and also a lot of those jobs the U.S./world has lost have come from automation/efficiency gains and those won't ever be coming back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:22 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
China has been losing manufacturing jobs for a decade now....the river will flow downhill and also a lot of those jobs the U.S./world has lost have come from automation/efficiency gains and those won't ever be coming back.
That's a point that is rarely mentioned. Low end manufacturing is really a race to the bottom. In many ways, it's good the United States doesn't compete on manufacturing little plastic frogs and whistles because it's not really a long term business you can be in. There is always a country who will do it cheaper as China is learning especially when combined with a population that is starting to realize they don't have to accept low wages.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
China has been losing manufacturing jobs for a decade now....the river will flow downhill and also a lot of those jobs the U.S./world has lost have come from automation/efficiency gains and those won't ever be coming back.
That's a point that is rarely mentioned. Low end manufacturing is really a race to the bottom. In many ways, it's good the United States doesn't compete on manufacturing little plastic frogs and whistles because it's not really a long term business you can be in. There is always a country who will do it cheaper as China is learning especially when combined with a population that is starting to realize they don't have to accept low wages.

Once those wages begin to rise (or else risk large scale civil unrest, although I think that happens no matter what) doing business in China will become less and less attractive. Especially when you figure in rising fuel and transportation costs.