It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
I think Vice Grips should be on the Mt. Rushmore tool hall of fame...guessing that hammer and screwdriver already got a lock on it though

but they are amazing

If you happen to break the head off you can use an easy out to remove the threads.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:14 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Bagels wrote:
answer to the question was the main breaker. Replaced it and no issues whatsoever since

on to a new issue. Got a new dishwasher. Old one was hardwired. This one has a plug. I looked and Google tells me various things. Some say removed the plug and connect it that way/mfg might have a conversion kit, some say install the outlet, some say if you install the outlet it could be considered "inaccessible" if it's behind the dishwasher and not to code...what you say ?

Take your existing whip and run it under the sink..mount a 1909 box and put in an outlet.. plug your new DW into the outlet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:16 am 

Bagels wrote:
next issue

need to remove a screw that is seemingly encased in concrete
i'm replacing a ceiling light
it's pretty standard, the metal base thing is held in by 2 screws. Remove the first one
Second one just will not come out. Tried WD40. Tried an impact screwdriver.

I told the drywall person not to put it back up since I was getting a new fixture, but they did anyways. The original layer of drywall was painted + popcorn ceiling, so i have a feeling that's where its getting hung up since it's not like drywall is some inpenetratable material

Cut the head off with a multi tool or chisel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:13 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
I think Vice Grips should be on the Mt. Rushmore tool hall of fame...guessing that hammer and screwdriver already got a lock on it though

but they are amazing

An often forgotten about extraction tool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
That sounds like someone used a 10-32 fan rated screw and drove it home through an 8-32 hole with an impact. I haven't met a box screw that my linemans pliers hasnt either removed or sheered the head off. Just drill and tap some new threads in it. If they did fuck up the hole with a 10-32 screw you might have to tap it for a 10-32 to get it to actually bite again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:27 pm 

The screw is in a box? I thought the screw was in concrete? .. was thinking it was a tapcon. Is it blue?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's

it's the screw on the far right
The left side one wasn't easy, but i was still able to remove it by hand
The right one no. I then kept trying different things including impact/hammer and it won't budge
I ripped the plate off after the pic was taken to try and get at it easier
If there's enough land to the left of it, couldn't i just cut the head off and drill a new hole ? this is just some typical ceiling light its not a 200lb chanderlier its holding up
What you see underneath is the old popcorn ceiling that was painted over, i'm guessing that's where the it's getting stuck since that's like petrified

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:24 pm 

If you can't get vice grips on it, use a Mexican to do a shit job and move on with your life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Bagels wrote:

The right one no. I then kept trying different things including impact/hammer and it won't budge
If there's enough land to the left of it, couldn't i just cut the head off and drill a new hole ? this is just some typical ceiling light its not a 200lb chanderlier its holding up
What you see underneath is the old popcorn ceiling that was painted over, i'm guessing that's where the it's getting stuck since that's like petrified

That’s very weird. The junction box is buried behind that popcorn ceiling drywall?

If I were you, I wouldn’t just move a little to the left and effectively mount a fixture to old drywall. You’d want access to the box to make sure the screw is actually secured. It may be a pain but I’d cut the old popcorn ceiling out to get access to the box.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
just come and do it for me i'll give you some pizza or w/e people do to not pay people they're trying to exploit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 pm 

That's a $300 job plus travel costs. At very least you need a box extension but more likely rip out the box and replace with an old work device and at worst get into the attic and put in a bar hanger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Our sewer pipe sheared off at the foundation. And it's under 4 feet of concrete. Ugh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:03 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Our sewer pipe sheared off at the foundation. And it's under 4 feet of concrete. Ugh

That happened to my parents about 7 years after their house was built. The smell that came through the sump pump was horrific.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

That happened to my parents about 7 years after their house was built. The smell that came through the sump pump was horrific.

There's no smell, but the repair isn't covered by the sewer line insurance I have with Nicor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Seacrest wrote:

That sucks. That happened to us the night after we bought our house (which means it was probably going on for a while - should’ve gotten it inspected). We didn’t have the concrete issue to deal with but it ended up costing us like $6k right after we drained our accounts for a down payment.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Seacrest wrote:

Pipe liner? Sounds like it might be a good option in this situation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:05 am 

Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

There's no smell, but the repair isn't covered by the sewer line insurance I have with Nicor.

Cast, Pvc or clay?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:09 am 

Bagels wrote:

Easy fix.. so it looks like they glued n screwed quarter inch drywall over popcorn.. take hammer n wood chisel and knock that shit out of your way.. make a clean opening.. hopefully only the hot, neutral and switch leg in the box and you can swap out the box.. if not cut the screw off and drill it out then use a self tapping screw in its place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Cast, Pvc or clay?

Cast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:23 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

14 months ago they decided that reroute CTA busses down the boulevard I ostensibly live on. The weight was too much for the pipe running to the street. And the goofy Peoples Gas line that made no sense.

Flooded basement, a bit more of smell and a damn good chunk of change later and I hated thinking of those two months. Still do.

Thankfully we determined that the broken line was on the city side of the sidewalk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

The Man wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Pipe liner? Sounds like it might be a good option in this situation.

The pipe has sank.

It looks like a half moon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I dont know if Darko will be back posting here but maybe you guys can help.

I got florescent light bulbs that went out. One end got black. Like the top one in this pic :

So anyway I got some new ones and replaced them. They worked like for 2 days then no longer working. I looked and one of the new ones at the end was getting black already. It's brand new.

What is causing this? Can someone help?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
You replied to a post I made today, dickmouth.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
HawaiiYou wrote:

I got florescent light bulbs that went out. One end got black. Like the top one in this pic :

So anyway I got some new ones and replaced them. They worked like for 2 days then no longer working. I looked and one of the new ones at the end was getting black already. It's brand new.

Replace the ballast or better yet get rid of those antiquated pieces of shit and put in an LED fixture.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:29 pm 

Darkside wrote:
You replied to a post I made today, dickmouth.

???? You're George Jefferson?

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

Replace the ballast or better yet get rid of those antiquated pieces of shit and put in an LED fixture.

Is this an easy DIY or need an electrician to do this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Its easy for somebody smarter than you.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:19 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:

bad connections or ballast shorting out. replace with direct wire LED's (remove the ballast). CFL's are absolutely useless these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:21 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:

you cant fuck it up. the two pins on one end of your light fixture socket wires directly to the two power wires from the ceiling box. everything else is cut off and discarded. direct wire led bulbs run on 120v or whatever you got up there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:40 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

you cant fuck it up. the two pins on one end of your light fixture socket wires directly to the two power wires from the ceiling box. everything else is cut off and discarded. direct wire led bulbs run on 120v or whatever you got up there.

Don't forget to tell him to turn off the circuit breaker to the light fixture he is replacing. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:11 am 

Juiced wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Don't forget to tell him to turn off the circuit breaker to the light fixture he is replacing. :lol:

Thanks - i was going to ask if i need to turn off the electricity.

And yes, it looks like the black cat dude is george jefferson guy darko. nice. glad to have him back

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next