It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I am intrigued. I have a 6 or 7 year old 40 gallon traditional water heater. I was planning on getting a new one with a power vent so I can get rid of the chimney which isn't even venting it properly or so I hear now that the furnace is vented out the side of the house.

I have city water and will have a softener again once I install the water heater and rework some of the pipes. There are 5 of us and the current one kind of sucks ass for keeping up with even 2 showers in a row. Any brand recommendations? What is the maintenance on one of these things? Clean some filters or de scaling?

I've mainly installed Navien. I can tell you that their tech support and customer service is far and away the best of any manufacturer I've ever contacted. I won't bore you with stories but trust me they stand behind their product like no other company I've ever seen.

Maintenance... there's typically a water inlet screen to clean once a year. And descaling should be done once a year, that requires a submersible pump that runs cleaning agent and water thru the heat exchanger. You mix up the cleaner with 4 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket, the pump goes into that and the water pumps into the cold inlet side and out the hot back into the bucket. Let it circulate for 45 minutes. Then flush with fresh cold water. There should be bypass valves on the thing so you isolate the street inlet and the house hot outlet and you can just circulate thru the machine. You can probably buy the kit for the average price of a contractor to come out and do it twice so if you're in any way handy I'd say buy the pump kit. You'll clean the flame sensor and spark electrode while the system is flushing. It's an hour of maintenance once a year. There's also a fresh (combustion) air intake screen you should check and clean every couple years.

I hung my NPE 240 A2 on the wall today.

Congrats! How's it going?

Question: My 75-gal Bradford White water heater has performed perfectly for 15+ years, and I know it's probably on borrowed time. Would you recommend:

1. Replacing with the same model...after all, if I get another 15 years out of the new one, I'll probably be out of the house by then.
2. Replace with a Navien tankless
3. Replace with a Rinnai tankless

if you have a family and multiple instances at a time where you need hot water, i will say do not go tankless.

We just went with a new nat gas one but also installed a circulator. because we have pretty decent stretches.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:46 am 

i just had my carpets steam cleaned. no more crabs. what does darko have to say about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
hnd wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I am intrigued. I have a 6 or 7 year old 40 gallon traditional water heater. I was planning on getting a new one with a power vent so I can get rid of the chimney which isn't even venting it properly or so I hear now that the furnace is vented out the side of the house.

I have city water and will have a softener again once I install the water heater and rework some of the pipes. There are 5 of us and the current one kind of sucks ass for keeping up with even 2 showers in a row. Any brand recommendations? What is the maintenance on one of these things? Clean some filters or de scaling?

I've mainly installed Navien. I can tell you that their tech support and customer service is far and away the best of any manufacturer I've ever contacted. I won't bore you with stories but trust me they stand behind their product like no other company I've ever seen.

Maintenance... there's typically a water inlet screen to clean once a year. And descaling should be done once a year, that requires a submersible pump that runs cleaning agent and water thru the heat exchanger. You mix up the cleaner with 4 gallons of water into a 5 gallon bucket, the pump goes into that and the water pumps into the cold inlet side and out the hot back into the bucket. Let it circulate for 45 minutes. Then flush with fresh cold water. There should be bypass valves on the thing so you isolate the street inlet and the house hot outlet and you can just circulate thru the machine. You can probably buy the kit for the average price of a contractor to come out and do it twice so if you're in any way handy I'd say buy the pump kit. You'll clean the flame sensor and spark electrode while the system is flushing. It's an hour of maintenance once a year. There's also a fresh (combustion) air intake screen you should check and clean every couple years.

I hung my NPE 240 A2 on the wall today.

Congrats! How's it going?

Question: My 75-gal Bradford White water heater has performed perfectly for 15+ years, and I know it's probably on borrowed time. Would you recommend:

1. Replacing with the same model...after all, if I get another 15 years out of the new one, I'll probably be out of the house by then.
2. Replace with a Navien tankless
3. Replace with a Rinnai tankless

if you have a family and multiple instances at a time where you need hot water, i will say do not go tankless.

We just went with a new nat gas one but also installed a circulator. because we have pretty decent stretches.

Circulator is some small pipe loop with a small pump to try to move the water around the house without using?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:01 pm 

hnd wrote:

i always thought if i were to build a house, i would run the hot water on a loop and tap off where needed. insulate the hot water pipes and have them constantly circulating. yes it would cost energy to have instant hot water everywhere, but worth it. plus i would have solar and geothermal. and a firebox out back with glycol pipes running to the house in case nothing else worked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The Navien is fully functional as of 2 days ago. I love it so far. endless hot water, good heat and good pressure. That was a process and a half to install by myself. Hard piping the gas line and making it look good is quite a process. I am used to cutting EMT and bending it. I am not cutting and threading my own gas pipe so piecing it together with the dozens of different combinations of pieces was fun. The only minor fuck up which was extremely easy to correct was the seating the exhaust pipe. That thing goes in a hell of alot further than it would appear at first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:31 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Darko my furnace sucked a dirty filter in last week and I had to call my service guy because the unit froze up, literally. Ended up having to replace the control board and it was under warranty so I believe he did me a solid on that but still expensive with the labor and service call. Anyway I put a new filter in and these aren't the cheap kind, but noticed that the furnace is really putting some stress on that filter and would love to pull it in again. I know the machine has had to work pretty hard this summer but I don't remember having this issue in the past and it is a relatively new unit, less than 2 years old. Is there anything I need to do to adjust it? I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:01 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
T-Bone wrote:
Darko my furnace sucked a dirty filter in last week and I had to call my service guy because the unit froze up, literally. Ended up having to replace the control board and it was under warranty so I believe he did me a solid on that but still expensive with the labor and service call. Anyway I put a new filter in and these aren't the cheap kind, but noticed that the furnace is really putting some stress on that filter and would love to pull it in again. I know the machine has had to work pretty hard this summer but I don't remember having this issue in the past and it is a relatively new unit, less than 2 years old. Is there anything I need to do to adjust it? I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

What MERV rating is the filter?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:20 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What MERV rating is the filter?

I'll try to find out Zippy. My wife is home today so I can ask her to look at it and let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:27 am 

Nordic Pure 16 x 20 x 1 MERV 12 are the filters.

Are you thinking it is not letting enough air through fast enough? Didn't have this issue with other filters I have used.

Edit - my wife called our HVAC guy and he said the MERV is way too high for our unit. Thanks for the info! We will be buying new filters this weekend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
hey Darkside come back!!

my furnace wouldn't turn on this morning.
dead as a doornail
it's one of those fancy electric ignitions where there's just a switch, no pilot to light . I reset everything but no response, nada
got a call into the heating place, at this point ill just eat a service call/repair
but i suppose lesson learned in the future i should turn it on a few weeks before its supposed to be cold so if something is wrong it's not an emergency. I guess its not an emergency it won't be -11 tonight, but 38 is pretty damn cold to have no heat on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:14 am 

Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail
it's one of those fancy electric ignitions where there's just a switch, no pilot to light . I reset everything but no response, nada
got a call into the heating place, at this point ill just eat a service call/repair
but i suppose lesson learned in the future i should turn it on a few weeks before its supposed to be cold so if something is wrong it's not an emergency. I guess its not an emergency it won't be -11 tonight, but 38 is pretty damn cold to have no heat on.

This may be a dumb question but have you hit the side of the furnace with your hand or another object? It may work after that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail

Darko might ask you if the main shut off to the unit is on. Many of them have what seems like a simple light switch in the furnace closest. It accidentally gets turned or knocked off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:29 am 

pittmike wrote:
Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail

Darko might ask you if the main shut off to the unit is on. Many of them have what seems like a simple light switch in the furnace closest. It accidentally gets turned or knocked off.

yes indeed this does, that doesn't appear to be the issue , it's ON baby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The Navien is fully functional as of 2 days ago. I love it so far. endless hot water, good heat and good pressure. That was a process and a half to install by myself. Hard piping the gas line and making it look good is quite a process. I am used to cutting EMT and bending it. I am not cutting and threading my own gas pipe so piecing it together with the dozens of different combinations of pieces was fun. The only minor fuck up which was extremely easy to correct was the seating the exhaust pipe. That thing goes in a hell of alot further than it would appear at first.

How many couplings you got on that MFer?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail

If you run the fan on, on your tstat.. does the fan kick on?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:36 pm 

312player wrote:
Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail

i turned it on like 1/2 hour before i had to leave for work, so i didn't really have time to much other than attempt to reset it. I didn't check the breaker to see if it got tripped but i doubt it's that. But it seems like the most obvious thing is the ignitor, it doesnt seem particularly hard to replace and i could get one pretty quick it seems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 pm 

Bagels wrote:
312player wrote:
Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail

i turned it on like 1/2 hour before i had to leave for work, so i didn't really have time to much other than attempt to reset it. I didn't check the breaker to see if it got tripped but i doubt it's that. But it seems like the most obvious thing is the ignitor, it doesnt seem particularly hard to replace and i could get one pretty quick it seems

Same issue with me, guy I know came out this morning and it needs a new circuit board. He is going to put in a used one, but can't do it until Monday morning. Gonna be a cool weekend in the Hawg Ass household.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:07 pm 

Bagels wrote:
312player wrote:
Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail

Had you taken one of the doors off at some point (to clean or inspect)? They have micro-switches which prevent the unit from turning on if the door is removed. Sometimes the switch goes bad but you can by-pass it to test.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:10 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Bagels wrote:
312player wrote:
Bagels wrote:
hey Darkside come back!!

dead as a doornail

Had you taken one of the doors off at some point (to clean or inspect)? They have micro-switches which prevent the unit from turning on if the door is removed. Sometimes the switch goes bad but you can by-pass it to test.

hmm....well now that you mention it, i didn't put the doors back on after i reset it... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:46 pm 

I can't stand that I just cranked up the furnace for the first time since March. But I'm so glad that it just knocked off the cool edge in the house. Hopefully the sun stays bright and I can turn it off pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:42 pm 

Back in the day in DeKalb, we vowed to not turn the heat on in our apartment until after January 1. We made it until mid-November, and even that was brutal. Guys are such idiots at that age.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Wife just said the furnace is getting turned on tonight. IDK....these cool nights have been wonderful for sleeping. I think we could hold out longer :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:54 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Wife just said the furnace is getting turned on tonight. IDK....these cool nights have been wonderful for sleeping. I think we could hold out longer :lol:

Definitely. For the record we still haven't broken down on that yet and actually still have out bedroom windows (partly) open. IDK if we'll make it through the weekend though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:02 pm 

Turned my heat off 20 minutes later. Gonna try to make it to November now. Thank goodness for the warmth of the lake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:02 pm 

BigW72 wrote:

I finally turned off my ac today. My ex bitches every time she's over. It's a fuckin freezer in here! No shit why the fuck would I try to keep you happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
IkeSouth wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

I finally turned off my ac today. My ex bitches every time she's over. It's a fuckin freezer in here! No shit why the fuck would I try to keep you happy

Tell her you want to see her nipples.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:03 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Tell her you want to see her nipples.

She hates when I touch them. I call her a boy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Goddamnit! Flannel sheets just went on the bed. First the heater got turned on, now I get to roast and sweat on flannel sheets. ugh.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:03 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Goddamnit! Flannel sheets just went on the bed. First the heater got turned on, now I get to roast and sweat on flannel sheets. ugh.

This is where Nas comes in with something about a pimp hand…

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I'm not allowed to have flannel sheets. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next