It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:18 pm 

They clearly dont want people buying tickets on the train (hence the $3 soon to be $5 fee)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
They clearly dont want people buying tickets on the train (hence the $3 soon to be $5 fee)
That fee is only when there is no ticket office (or the office is closed) at the station you board from.

Seems to me the best way to cut some costs would be to eliminate all of the ticket offices and clerks in the stations, and make people either buy tickets online or pay via credit card on the train.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:28 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
That fee is only when there is no ticket office (or the office is closed) at the station you board from.

My point remains though. They'd prefer if no conductor ever touched money for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
so yeah i reckon "virtual ventra cards" are a-coming. they saw how the city is hustling with those cards (again, $5 to get one before you ever put on transit value, and a lot of this is to subsidize the costs of this rushcard-that-nobody-asked-for built into the card, which is of course the impetus for the anti-consumer-benefit of the card because showing you the only piece of information pertinent enough to show you via the classic system for the last 20-30/+ years or whatever, transit balance, is impossible because you have to protect this sacrosanct debit card on the ventra! card.

Yeah, I had to get my Ventra card on Tuesday to make a quick trip up to Lake View for coffee and tea. Stood down in the mezzanine at Lake fumbling with that machine for like five minutes so that I could have the pleasure of getting packed like sardines in those new L cars with seats on the sides so everyone can just stand in the middle. I miss my flimsy magnetic cards. So you're telling me I can't check my balance on these? I'll have to write down all my trips and deposits with pen and paper and keep that next to it in my wallet. The 21st century, ladies and gentlemen.

You know what's funny, though? Lest anyone think I'm some fare-jumping fiend, I didn't start this winning streak until a few months ago. I'm batting a Williamsian .400 on paying fare now, but when I rode to/from Fox Lake, I never missed a ticket. In fact, I'm pretty sure Metra encouraged me to get around paying full price! When I was in Missouri and I'd come back up for air, I'd take Amtrak into Union Station then take the MD-North up. These were generally the last or second to last trains to leave on Sunday night, and once I had a conversation along these lines:

"One-way to Fox Lake, please?"
"All the way to Fox Lake?"
"Yep."
"Allll the way to Fox Lake."
"Afraid so."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah."
"Seven dollars."

Now don't tell me that nice woman at the ticket window was not taking pity on one of the few Union Station denizens at 10:30 on a Sunday night who didn't obviously appear to be homeless and was trying to get me to say "no, tell you what, I'll get just get a ride home at Northbrook, you're right."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
My point remains though. They'd prefer if no conductor ever touched money for some reason.
Right, which is why I said to pay via credit card on the train.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:31 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Right, which is why I said to pay via credit card on the train.

I dont mean just cash.

Restated: They dont want conductors selling tickets.

Im sure that would slow things down like crazy and they'd have to hire more conductors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Maybe BadRogue can chime in here, but how are fares taken on the train tracked? Do the conductors need to hand in a collection of tickets, and whatever is punched has to match up with the cash collected? It seems like it would be an easy system to pocket a few extra bucks on each trip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:34 pm 

When I rode the the IC line for a year, there was a conductor who knew a guy I worked with and took the train with.

We got ten rides and he would only punch them like 25% of the time. He'd literally put the hole punch over the ticket but just not squeeze.

I guess he figured it was sand off a beach

And if you think that's bad, the guys who went to Indiana used to smoke weed on the train (with Wilson the friendly conductor condoning it as long as they stayed in the last vestibule)

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
Restated: They dont want conductors selling tickets.
Ah, gotcha.

Thats silly. If they don't want conductors selling tickets, then only option is a sealed off platform/turnstyle system like the CTA has.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:35 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Is this even a problem?

In all my years riding the train, they've not collected like 3 maybe 4 times because the train was packed like a sardine can and they literally couldnt get thru (probably some safety issues there but that's another story)

The train was so packed on the way to the Hawks parade that I had to ride in the vestibule the whole way and a drunk underage girl puked on my feet. A conductor still came by for fare.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:38 pm 

A tip for all you youngsters out there, if you board the train without a ticket, and want to avoid the surcharge, tell the conductor you got on at a station that doesn't have an attendant. Do your research and figure out which stations these are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:42 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
A tip for all you youngsters out there, if you board the train without a ticket, and want to avoid the surcharge, tell the conductor you got on at a station that doesn't have an attendant. Do your research and figure out which stations these are.

But make sure that train you're on stopped at that station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:43 pm 

That's a lot of mindfulness for a safety net to cover an earlier lack of mindfulness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:43 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Truth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:44 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Is this even a problem?

In all my years riding the train, they've not collected like 3 maybe 4 times because the train was packed like a sardine can and they literally couldnt get thru (probably some safety issues there but that's another story)

The train was so packed on the way to the Hawks parade that I had to ride in the vestibule the whole way and a drunk underage girl puked on my feet. A conductor still came by for fare.

Oh, Im talking worse than that

Im talking, the vestibule is packed. Like 15 people in each one.

You'd see it once in a while when a rush hour train got cancelled and the 345ers had to invade the 435ers or whatever

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:44 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Truth.

Its a dangerous game out there. I hate seeing people get caught unprepared

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Or else you will be left in *gasp* Jefferson Park!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Maybe BadRogue can chime in here, but how are fares taken on the train tracked? Do the conductors need to hand in a collection of tickets, and whatever is punched has to match up with the cash collected? It seems like it would be an easy system to pocket a few extra bucks on each trip.

Thats pretty much the way it works yes. I suppose you could get away with pocketing a few bucks here and there but I know they do put spotters on the trains and if you're doing something fishy they will catch you eventually .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you remember that story about my buddy who paid my Metra fare for me. The conductor wasn't gonna let it slide. I think U.P. protocol is to write up a bill that you are supposed to mail in. But I didn't even have an ID for the guy. I was headed for the slammer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:28 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I was headed for the slammer.

I bet you'd do well in jail

You'd be all "Hey we get three meals and I dont have to deal with customers, its not too bad"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
i would probably do OK if it weren't for the rapings. the rapings I wouldn't like very much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
I was headed for the slammer.

I bet you'd do well in jail

You'd be all "Hey we get three meals and I dont have to deal with customers, its not too bad"
And they get neat little uniforms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Grabbed a 7.20 Amtrak to Ann arbor. Sat in the rail yard for 30 minutes waiting for traffic to clear. Better planning maybe???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Better planning maybe???

Yes, you should have drove.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
No. Hungover. 34 bucks and wifi. Can't beat it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Well, as feared, the fare increases are all about labor costs, not train upgrades. From the Trib:

Quote:
Let's set the record straight right up front: That 10.8 percent fare increase Metra wants for next year is not about buying new trains.

Only $2.4 million of the $27.3 million the fare hike would generate next year would go toward the purchase of new rolling stock. The rest would plug holes in the 2015 operating budget, including almost $20 million in increased wages and benefits. Metra's operating expenses are going up 6.4 percent, well above the rate of inflation.

And that 68 percent fare hike projected over the next 10 years? Most of that would cover day-to-day expenses, too.

Two weeks ago, Metra announced a $2.4 billion fleet modernization plan to replace or restore hundreds of passenger cars and locomotives, many dating to the Eisenhower administration. At the same time, Metra released a 10-year fare-projection plan with annual increases totaling 68 percent by 2024.

Trotting them out in tandem had the effect, accidentally or on purpose, of conflating the two: The fare hikes are the price commuters must pay for desperately needed train upgrades, right? Wrong.

Over 10 years, those fare increases would generate almost $1.28 billion. Less than 20 percent of that is for new trains.

We hope Metra riders will attend one of eight public hearings on Nov. 5 and 6 and demand that Metra justify those increases. Yes, we know, the hearings are from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., when you're likely to be on a homebound train. But Metra has signaled that it expects its operating costs to rise every year for the next decade, and that its solution will be to pass those costs along to you, 10 fare hikes in a row. You ought to be steamed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:15 pm 

It shocked me when I took a Metra train in Chicago just how cheap it was.

My last trip into Manhattan on a train cost me $35.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Well, as feared, the fare increases are all about labor costs, not train upgrades. From the Trib:

Quote:
Let's set the record straight right up front: That 10.8 percent fare increase Metra wants for next year is not about buying new trains.

Only $2.4 million of the $27.3 million the fare hike would generate next year would go toward the purchase of new rolling stock. The rest would plug holes in the 2015 operating budget, including almost $20 million in increased wages and benefits. Metra's operating expenses are going up 6.4 percent, well above the rate of inflation.

And that 68 percent fare hike projected over the next 10 years? Most of that would cover day-to-day expenses, too.

Two weeks ago, Metra announced a $2.4 billion fleet modernization plan to replace or restore hundreds of passenger cars and locomotives, many dating to the Eisenhower administration. At the same time, Metra released a 10-year fare-projection plan with annual increases totaling 68 percent by 2024.

Trotting them out in tandem had the effect, accidentally or on purpose, of conflating the two: The fare hikes are the price commuters must pay for desperately needed train upgrades, right? Wrong.

Over 10 years, those fare increases would generate almost $1.28 billion. Less than 20 percent of that is for new trains.

We hope Metra riders will attend one of eight public hearings on Nov. 5 and 6 and demand that Metra justify those increases. Yes, we know, the hearings are from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., when you're likely to be on a homebound train. But Metra has signaled that it expects its operating costs to rise every year for the next decade, and that its solution will be to pass those costs along to you, 10 fare hikes in a row. You ought to be steamed.
Should they not raise fares to cover the budget hole? Or is it because the money is being used to pay collectively bargained , agreed to contracts with the unions that gets people pissed? If the 20 miion were to buy 4 new passenger cars and 3 engines would that make it easier to swallow?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It shocked me when I took a Metra train in Chicago just how cheap it was.

My last trip into Manhattan on a train cost me $35.
But the Ebola on the car was free.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5