It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Was Wolf's "victim culture" comment racist?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ever notice the difference in penalties between "white" and "black" drugs?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
what are white drugs and what are black drugs?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:29 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Cmon man.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:29 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Actually it's quite the opposite.

Doesn't seem to be working for out anybody.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Cmon man.

No seriously. You have no idea how little I know about drugs. I'm not around them much and have never been.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:31 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Ones that generally come with treatment programs and sympathy, as opposed to the ones that carry minimum mandatory sentencing in penitentiaries in struggling rural prison towns or (worse) in corporate owned prisons in formerly farm land.

Last edited by Regular Reader on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:32 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Cmon man.

No seriously. You have no idea how little I know about drugs. I'm not around them much and have never been.

Stay that way.

Or smoke some tweeds.

Either way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Regular Reader wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Darkside wrote:
The war on drugs is designed to put black men in jail.

I think the overarching goal is just to put people in jail.

Lots of 'em.

But don't you find it fascinating that when the incarceration rates of "middle" Americans rises, suddenly there are broad calls for drug decriminalization?

I find it fascinating that many whites are now making millions in some states illegally (according to the federal government) selling a banned substance that has put millions of poor minorities in prison for years. Becoming a drug dealer is trendy all of a sudden.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:13 am 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
You are downplaying his comments. He didn't say it was a prevalent belief in the black community. He said, or at least strongly implied, in his opening comments that it is inherent to the black community.

I think saying it's a culture of ___ is pretty similar to saying the belief is prevalent in that community.

But regardless, my question is, can we discuss negative things being prevalent in certain cultures (or any group) or is that an ignorant view to begin with?

Of course we can.

I don't mean ignorant in a malicious way here. I believe I'm using it appropriately here. These types of discusssions rarely take place with all the facts and history at the forefront of the discusssion. It almost always dissolves into dumbass talking points like Bruce Wolf kept using. It is ignorant to talk about a (possible) culture of victimhood in the black community without first establishing our country's role in how that culture was created.
I'll disagree FF. Even if Wolf brought up every pertinent fact and relevant point about the country's role in how it was created as soon as he gets to "but" there's no way he won't get painted with the racism brush. I don't know why white talk show hosts even bother with the topic anymore it never goes well for them. It's a no win topic.

Why do you feel like a victim? Why do you believe people like you are being victimized?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 am 
100000 CLUB

MattInTheCrown wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Bruce is now doing conservative talk radio? Strange world we live in.

No, he is not racist.

He is, however, attributing general societal ills to a subgroup. The entire nation seems to hold a culture of victimization.

No, that's what he said. He said it early on. He's claiming that there's a general culture of victimization, and that it has stalled the positive gains for blacks.

Dependency and lack of education and a few other things would be higher on my list but there is truth to statement.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:30 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Darkside wrote:
The war on drugs is designed to put black men in jail.

But why?

Here's a post from TM on the prison state which I believe goes hand in hand with what were talking about here

Tall Midget wrote:
What has dramatically advanced in the past two decades is the development of our nascent prison state. The prison population has exploded since the Reagan years and continues to rise. Additionally, police surveillance in "dangerous" areas has also been massively expanded, in many cases through federal funding. Thus the character of our society has been subtly but radically redefined--we have chosen authoritarian, discriminatory measures to superficially address social problems without actually solving them. By doing so, we have created new problems (massive expenditures that starve public budgets in other areas, a permanently marginalized class of young people, a crisis of legitimacy in our legal system and broader government, etc) that will manifest themselves in very ugly ways over the long term.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Looks like they shitcanned the traffic reporter in question. Of course, its because she's black and not because they're starting a new morning show or anything. Sounds like she's sowing the seeds of a discrimination lawsuit as well.

Kelli Walker
Traffic reporter Kelli Walker, whose contentious relationship with WLS AM 890 morning host Bruce Wolf exploded in an on-air confrontation about race eight weeks ago, has been forced out from the Cumulus Media news/talk station.

No reason was cited for dismissing Walker, whose last day on the air was Monday. Her most recent contract with the station expired last October.

Walker said Tuesday she believes she was terminated because she lashed out at Wolf on the air November 18, accusing him of “racist connotations” and challenging him for citing a “culture of victimhood” in the black community. A transcript was posted here later that day.

“Honestly, I’ve never worked in a more hostile environment in my life,” Walker said in an interview. “I knew going in that WLS was a conservative formatted station, but I understand differences of opinion and political talk. I can accept that. I may not agree with everything that’s said, but I knew I had a job to do.”

What Walker called the “big brouhaha” wasn’t her first fight with Wolf. “Bruce and I had many on-air ‘differences,’ if you will,” she said, “everything from slave jokes to fried chicken jokes, to saying black women were a protected class and that’s the only reason Felicia Middlebrooks has her job over at CBS. These were all things he said on the air. When the conversation that erupted a few weeks back happened, it was merely a culmination of everything I had been dealing with.” When Walker complained to her bosses, she said: “They told me you can’t argue like that on the air anymore.”

Nevertheless, Walker said, her firing came as a shock. “Right now it just looks like they got rid of the African American who was giving Bruce Wolf a hard time,” she said.

Wolf declined to comment Tuesday. WLS executives did not respond to inquiries.

The move comes as WLS is poised to launch a new morning show Monday hosted by Big John Howell, just hired from Salem Communications rival news/talk WIND AM 560. Howell will succeed Wolf, whose future role with Cumulus Media Chicago has not been announced.

Walker, a 15-year veteran of Chicago radio, joined WLS in October 2013 after five years at Total Traffic Network and two years at Traffic Pulse NAVTEQ. She previously worked on the air at WILV FM 100.3 and at WJKL/WRMN in Elgin. She is a graduate of Illinois Center for Broadcasting and attended DePaul University.

“I’m not a bad person

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It's very difficult to have an honest discussion on race. White folks have no clue what it is like to be black, and thus having white folks opine on the matter is a recipe for disaster. I've had enough family discussions on the police shootings to know that white folks have a skewed perspective on the plight of blacks in America. I don't claim to understand it either, but I have read enough articles and seen plenty of statistics to see both sides of the "story".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
DePaul grad. hmm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:01 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
DePaul grad. hmm.

someone either has or will be getting it before the wedding