It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
scrape off the top 1/5th that is the large loans... the loans that get you into GOOD colleges with GOOD chance of making enough money to pay that back... and youre left with 10 million people who owe $20k and they likely wont make more than $15/hr. which means it they will pay off their loans in about 20 years.
Most college graduates start at more than $15 an hour unless you really chose a major that has no jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
scrape off the top 1/5th that is the large loans... the loans that get you into GOOD colleges with GOOD chance of making enough money to pay that back... and youre left with 10 million people who owe $20k and they likely wont make more than $15/hr. which means it they will pay off their loans in about 20 years.
Most college graduates start at more than $15 an hour unless you really chose a major that has no jobs.

I thought many of them dont start at all? (bad job market)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:52 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
He's really going to tax 529 plans?

What bullshit that is if he does, mother fuck!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:53 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Whatever, why save?

i came to this conclusion in 2008. bought a fixer upper, worked my ASS off for YEARS (no going out at night, just work at work then work at home. for YEARS), and when I was done the house was not worth a single penny more than what i paid for it in the first place.

that term "youll never lose on a house. it always appreciates in value" is an absolute crock of shit and i hate all the righteous college educated blowhards that told me that. i should have never listened, i would have been FAR FAR FAR better off just renting.

They were wrong and always were but it didn't seem like it at the time.

They would have been correct if they said it was a forced savings, which still has a lot of value for most people.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:58 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

It really depends what you went into. If you did art or history or journalism you may be underemployed or unemployed but that is just because there aren't enough jobs for how many people go into it.

The job market isn't great but it isn't terrible. If you get a college degree and you never find a job making more than $15 an hour you really messed up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:04 pm 

The great irony of all of these tax measures designed to stop "rich" people from using tax loopholes/advantages is that they truly don't need them. Cancel the whole 529 program and they'll write a check from savings for tuition. It's the legitimate users of the system that do need it to help that are hurt and it is done because poor people don't use them so it isn't a good program.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
My mom has a 529 set up for my daughter, which is nice for her since even though my wife and I are both college graduates (her with a Masters), we didn't plan on paying for her college.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:10 pm 

I know it won't fly but 1-2 years of mandatory service in the armed forces would do this country a lot of good. It would eliminate the assumed patriotic superiority but also give everyone a better perspective on this country. Come back mature and much more ready to make life decisions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:15 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

those who dont get a "job" then get some crappy $15/hr job that never goes anywhere above $18/hr and thats if you been there for 10 years.

really all comes down to most people being underpaid, no matter if they have a college degree or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:16 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I know it won't fly but 1-2 years of mandatory service in the armed forces would do this country a lot of good. It would eliminate the assumed patriotic superiority but also give everyone a better perspective on this country. Come back mature and much more ready to make life decisions

i think hitler shared the same viewpoint

our government, and especially our military, wants nothing to do with mandatory service. they realized how much worse it makes things in vietnam. we will be staying all volunteer for the foreseeable future (until we forget what happened in vietnam).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

It really depends what you went into. If you did art or history or journalism you may be underemployed or unemployed but that is just because there aren't enough jobs for how many people go into it.

The job market isn't great but it isn't terrible. If you get a college degree and you never find a job making more than $15 an hour you really messed up.

Oh well, never is a different story. You said "to start" Im thinking of all the kids who couldnt find jobs in their fields and started painting houses or some other sad career

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:18 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Ed Asner and Adam Carolla agree

Me too....in theory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:21 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Oh well, never is a different story. You said "to start" Im thinking of all the kids who couldnt find jobs in their fields and started painting houses or some other sad career
http://www.naceweb.org/s04022014/starting-salary-class-2014.aspx

Most do to start. The other numbers I saw said that about 8% of recent graduates were unemployed about about another 16% were underemployed. I'm not sure if they are factored into the above numbers though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:22 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

i think hitler shared the same viewpoint

our government, and especially our military, wants nothing to do with mandatory service. they realized how much worse it makes things in vietnam. we will be staying all volunteer for the foreseeable future (until we forget what happened in vietnam).

I don't know if it is the majority but a well represented group of countries have mandatory service.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5