It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:23 am 

I brought it in for regular maintenance. The dealer, unsolicited, said they are looking to buy it back. He said they will put me in a new version (with the associated 2 years of free maintenance) with same 0% financing and guarantee the monthly will be equal to or less than current payments.

What is the catch?

It looks like they get the opportunity to extend me out two years but that does not matter to me at 0%.

I think the critical question is whether they will offer me an equal or greater amount for the existing car as I currently owe. If so, it seems like it is a wash for me financially, with me getting a new car.

But I am dumb and you guys are smart, so explain to me my stupidity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
too many unknown variables to solve this equation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
What are they hiding in the glove box that they will try to pin on you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:29 am 

My opinion on pretty much all of these deals are "The dealer and the car maker aren't losing money on this so it's probably me".

At best, they want to cut out some inventory of new cars before the big year end incentives start.

The thing to do is to go to truecar.com and see what the cost of that new car would be right now, and what your current car is worth. That would tell you if you are getting a good deal or not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I brought it in for regular maintenance. The dealer, unsolicited, said they are looking to buy it back. He said they will put me in a new version (with the associated 2 years of free maintenance) with same 0% financing and guarantee the monthly will be equal to or less than current payments.

What is the catch?

It looks like they get the opportunity to extend me out two years but that does not matter to me at 0%.

I think the critical question is whether they will offer me an equal or greater amount for the existing car as I currently owe. If so, it seems like it is a wash for me financially, with me getting a new car.

I was just talking to someone about this type of situation. All I can say is that they have done this a few times and have no complaints.

They have an incentive to sell new cars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am 

I guess the question for me is whether it would end up being a 1 for 1 type of deal.

It's probably not a good deal. I'll let the guy put something on paper and work a little.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:

What is the catch?

They're going to make money off of selling you the new car and then they're going to make even more money off of selling your old car. The profit they make off used cars is substantially greater than what they make off of new cars. The next person to buy your old car won't get 0% financing and they'll make money off that too.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Dealers love to have folks focus on the payment. What you are neglecting to consider is the principal owed. For instance, say you owe $20,000 on your current car at $450/month with 36 months left. Your new car may still have the $450/month payment, but you will owe more than $20,000 and have payments for a longer time period. If you're ok with paying for five, six, or seven years at $450/month, then go for it. Having a new car is a great experience.

Mortgage bankers do the same thing with home loan refinances. They get you to focus on lowering your payment, but then you are re-amortizing your loan out for 30 years. If you keep doing that, then you'll never pay it off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Dealers love to have folks focus on the payment. What you are neglecting to consider is the principal owed. For instance, say you owe $20,000 on your current car at $450/month with 36 months left. Your new car may still have the $450/month payment, but you will owe more than $20,000 and have payments for a longer time period. If you're ok with paying for five, six, or seven years at $450/month, then go for it. Having a new car is a great experience.

Mortgage bankers do the same thing with home loan refinances. They get you to focus on lowering your payment, but then you are re-amortizing your loan out for 30 years. If you keep doing that, then you'll never pay it off.

That's what I would like to see. The payments aren't my focus. I want to see if they will be able to equal the money owed. If so, I'll take the new car as it is a sweet deal to pay the same amount of money over a longer period of time and get a new car. I doubt that occurs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
denisdman wrote:

Because the consumer is focused on the payment. Give them what they want. I used to show people how they could pay their homes off earlier by paying the same thing they were currently paying. I would even break down how much interest they would save. After 10 years and hundreds of clients I could probably count on both hands the people who followed that advice.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Off topic, but I just found out ( :oops: ) that our illustrious elected officials finally got one thing right...effective January 1, you no longer have to pay sales tax on the entire purchase price of a leased vehicle, or pay the tax again if you end up buying the car after the lease.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:59 pm 

Where the dealer benefits:
- They know the maintenance record of your car and know that they can 'certify' it and sell it for a premium.
- The loan will still be under their 'control' - you just have more to pay on it.
- They clear out inventory and take advantage of dealer incentives to get the best price possible for you.

Where you benefit:
- New Car again

You still are going to take the big depreciation hit when you leave the facility on the new car, your principal will still be high on the new car.

Enjoy your new Prius councilor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:48 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
- They know the maintenance record of your car and know that they can 'certify' it and sell it for a premium.
- The loan will still be under their 'control' - you just have more to pay on it.
- They clear out inventory and take advantage of dealer incentives to get the best price possible for you.

Where you benefit:
- New Car again

You still are going to take the big depreciation hit when you leave the facility on the new car, your principal will still be high on the new car.

I would hope the loan is for the same amount as currently owed. I don't think I will buy in if it is not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Where you benefit:
- New Car again

I would hope the loan is for the same amount as currently owed. I don't think I will buy in if it is not

I would guess not if the rate is the same but the new term is 60 months again but I am not a statistics major.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:16 pm 

Make sure you get the insider's deal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
This is a great sales tactic. Every person who brings in a car for service is a sales lead.
Put a proposal togther and present it to them, rather than waiting for the dealer to give you his "best deal".

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Bernstein did this with his Acura.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Make sure you get the insider's deal.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
good dolphin wrote:

What is the catch?

Don't do it. It is standard procedure for almost all dealers to do this. It is a win for the dealer, and a financial loss for you. Some way.

I'm surprised this is at 0.0% financing, but it still makes sense due to manufacturer rebates and kickbacks. Meanwhile, used cars are at an all time high value so the dealer will be able to make a quick couple grand on your old vehicle, while making whatever money back with the old vehicle.

At a minimum, you've now paid the depreciation on two cars rather than one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 pm 

IMU wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

What is the catch?

Don't do it. It is standard procedure for almost all dealers to do this. It is a win for the dealer, and a financial loss for you. Some way.

I'm surprised this is at 0.0% financing, but it still makes sense due to manufacturer rebates and kickbacks. Meanwhile, used cars are at an all time high value so the dealer will be able to make a quick couple grand on your old vehicle, while making whatever money back with the old vehicle.

At a minimum, you've now paid the depreciation on two cars rather than one.

So then, when is the right time to make a move on a car?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Never. :lol: There is always someone trying to fuck you in some way in the car business.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Never. :lol: There is always someone trying to fuck you in some way in the car business.

:lol:

My thought as well, no matter when you are purchasing or selling. I have come to the conclusion that if you feel like it is a good deal, do it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:57 pm 

Buy last year's new model in August. Buy toward end of each month. November, December, and April are good months to buy new.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 pm 

IMU wrote:
Buy last year's new model in August. Buy toward end of each month. November, December, and April are good months to buy new.

Ok, I missed it by a month but I got another of your thoughts right, do I win?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Dealers been trying to buy my Taco for 2 years now. I'm getting 14k offers, probably 5k less than value given mileage and usage. It's a 2012 with about 20k miles, probably worth 18 open market.
But I love the truck and not even remotely interested in selling,

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:59 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
IMU wrote:

If you're happy with it, yes. You seemed to make out all right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 pm 

IMU wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
IMU wrote:

If you're happy with it, yes. You seemed to make out all right.

:lol:

That kind of goes back to my answer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:50 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
This is a great sales tactic. Every person who brings in a car for service is a sales lead.

I agree, and would even suggest that some of these endless recalls (at least the ones not involving your ignition switching off while you are at highway speeds) are actually designed to get you in to either buy another vehicle, or perform a "free" inspection during which they will find any number of additional things you need to get serviced.

Last edited by Jaw Breaker on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 pm 

What kind of idiot gets their car serviced at a dealership?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:57 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
What kind of idiot gets their car serviced at a dealership?

When you service your car
At a new car store
You get a great deal
And a great deal more!