It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rahm bows before NFL
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
America wrote:
Its pretty depressing really. Wait until this presidential library shit really heats up in here a week or so, acting like that is going to be anything other than a giant monument built on seized public land to a kinda-okay-but-mostly-mediocre president.

I'm guessing that it's going to New York. They've supposedly postponed the announcement until after the election. If it was going to be in Chicago, Obama would help Rahm by announcing it. But maybe that's Rahm's last chip in the late campaign stages and the Obamas will announce it the Monday before the election.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
bigfan wrote:
People, people , people....do I need to do all the heavy lifting...

1. A dome would be a great thing for this city. Create HUGE revenue, such as a Super Bowl. I dont think I need to get into why we dont have a dome again ( we all know why :wink: ) but we need one.

4. A new DOME, contingent on a Super Bowl AGREEMENT, right there would be a major revenue boost. Final Four (Considering how great are college teams are right now!)

HUGE revenue dwarfed by even LARGER expenses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
rogers park bryan wrote:
America, putting aside public executions and focusing on things that are possible, what are some real things you'd like to see done with the city?

1. Rent control that follows the unit not the renter. What caused rent control to fail in NY was people moving and landlords seizing any opportunity to get rent controlled tenants out so the law didn't apply anymore. .5% increase every 10 years.

2. No new residential buildings until the population of Chicago actually goes up. I suspect the city is actually growing anyways but the census is "missing" a lot of people, but we should be using and/or renovating what we have as opposed to just building new housing after new housing for a city that on paper is shrinking.

3. Hamsterdam. No joke, just open up a few small districts on each side of the city where the drug trade is allowed to run without any interference. For no other reason than to just see if it works, the stronger fist has pretty obviously failed.

There's more, but those are 3.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 am 

America wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America, putting aside public executions and focusing on things that are possible, what are some real things you'd like to see done with the city?

1. Rent control that follows the unit not the renter. What caused rent control to fail in NY was people moving and landlords seizing any opportunity to get rent controlled tenants out so the law didn't apply anymore. .5% increase every 10 years.

2. No new residential buildings until the population of Chicago actually goes up. I suspect the city is actually growing anyways but the census is "missing" a lot of people, but we should be using and/or renovating what we have as opposed to just building new housing after new housing for a city that on paper is shrinking.

3. Hamsterdam. No joke, just open up a few small districts on each side of the city where the drug trade is allowed to run without any interference. For no other reason than to just see if it works, the stronger fist has pretty obviously failed.

Alright, good stuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
denisdman wrote:
America wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-draft-spt-0317-20150316-story.html#page=1

Shutting down Grant Park for 2 weeks. Congress and Columbus both closed, Congress in between Michigan and Wabash which will screw everything up. The Poles, an absolutely huge part of Chicago's culture, are being to go fuck off for their big parade and celebration. Once again Rahm's obsession with making Chicago 'global' totally ignores the fact that the people who live and work here make the city what it is, not a nice TV moment for a big brand.

So you want rich people out of Chicago in the population loss thread. Now you want tourists out of Chicago. I know you hold yourself up as a defender of the little guy, but where do you think jobs come from? All those folks working in hotels, restaurants, taxis, and at O'Hare are patronized by tourists. Plus, there are lots of tax revenues associated with out of town guests.

You might want to rethink your priorities. After which, you may decide that Venezuela more suits your economic philosophy.

your wasting your time Denis.

America wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Your move, Scorehead.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Kirkwood wrote:
It would be nice for Soldier Field to be demolished and have that lakefront site be useful for 365 days as opposed to 40.

Football stadiums are obtrusive structures better hidden on the outskirts.

Football stadiums are best put next to baseball stadiums to maximize the use of the property year round and utilize the parking, mass transit connections etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It should have been "you're move Scorehead". Then I would have lol'd.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:51 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
It would be nice for Soldier Field to be demolished and have that lakefront site be useful for 365 days as opposed to 40.

Football stadiums are obtrusive structures better hidden on the outskirts.

Football stadiums are best put next to baseball stadiums to maximize the use of the property year round and utilize the parking, mass transit connections etc.

Baseball stadiums are best left in a neighborhood because its baseball.

I realize the Sox have failed miserably at this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
denisdman wrote:
It should have been "you're move Scorehead". Then I would have lol'd.

I almost did, but sarcasm doesn't translate well in print.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
conns7901 wrote:
Even if a dome is built and the Super Bowl came here. The NFL requires everything for them to be free.

Rahm will put Chuy and his creative financing ideas in charge of covering the tab.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:05 am 

Disappointed in you, Scorehead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:41 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
If the NFL asked New York for the kind of shit they got from Chicago they'd be told to get lost. Im actually pretty sure that's why they moved the draft here.

Madison Square Garden felt like putting on a Rockettes show that week instead. We're shutting down major arterials for a show that got bumped for the Rockettes.

denisdman wrote:
So you want rich people out of Chicago in the population loss thread. Now you want tourists out of Chicago. I know you hold yourself up as a defender of the little guy, but where do you think jobs come from? All those folks working in hotels, restaurants, taxis, and at O'Hare are patronized by tourists. Plus, there are lots of tax revenues associated with out of town guests.

You might want to rethink your priorities. After which, you may decide that Venezuela more suits your economic philosophy.

That isn't what a single person said at all. Everyone wants tourism in Chicago! But that doesn't make staging this particular event in this particular way, with turning Grant Park into a "sponsor activation zone," a worthy cause. Yes, out-of-towners pay a lot of taxes when they come here, but all the NFL personnel coming here are supposed to get everything for free. Are the tax revenues going to outpace the tax breaks and general inconveniences in a way that makes this whole thing worth it? I don't know, and it doesn't matter whether it does, because Chicago gave the NFL the option to do it all again next year on the same terms.

Personally, I think the NFL draft should be held in an arena somewhere in the Southeast or Texas -- Broward County would make the most sense with its huge arena, but so would Nashville, Atlanta, maybe Dallas, maybe even Washington. Keep it close to all the college football fans, have it somewhere guaranteed to be pleasant in late April. I don't know why the NFL insists on using fine-arts venues to have dudes put hats on when you can just slap up a stage in a hockey rink and get three times as many people in the building, to say nothing of various outlying Sponsor Activation Zones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
America wrote:
Disappointed in you, Scorehead.

Today is the best sports day of the year. I have basketball to watch!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:25 pm 

Oh that's okay.

I picked I-State to win it all so now I'm just walking around with forks in my eyeballs and typing off muscle memory because I'm permanently blind.