It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ted Cruz 2016
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I would hardly argue the economy boomed any time under W. Depends on which measure you evaluate. The housing market was awful and stayed awful. Unemployment is always deceiving as it never captures underemployment, which has gone hand in hand with the housing crash. I disliked W as President for several reasons...many are the same reasons I like Obama - Fiscal irresponsibility.

I disagree on the economy being the driver. The economy wasn't great when W got re-elected. There was a perceived victory in Iraq combined with lackluster candidate in John Kerry that led ot his re-election.

Obama campaigned as the anti-W...not from an elite, rich family like the Bush's. Yes, he was treated like MLK, but he was viewed by many as someone who came from little and worked his way up...that's like-able to many.

Obama was re-elected in a similar fashion as W. There was a perceived victory in the ACA and the Republicans threw Mitt Fucking Romney against him. The economy was crap and still is.

I think many underestimate just how effective the media and the DEMS have been in placing many of todays issues at the fault of W. That combined with the fact that Republicans have no identity and cannot help bringing in Jesus and morals will result in yet another DEM president in the 2016 election.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:12 am 

America wrote:
Sarah Palin is probably the most bizarre American political figure of the last 50 years. I mean, wtf was that.

ted cruz's new running mate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:21 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
reagan oversaw the government spending bubble while W oversaw the housing bubble.

I would say it was more of the beginning of the credit bubble rather than govt spending bubble. The first glimpses of what wizardry could be done after Nixon closed the gold window.

But your point is well taken, Hatchetman!

i agree. our fake money is what caused the 2nd great depression. more specifically, making too much of that fake money. never ceases to amaze me how their 'solutions' always involve printing more money. but its the system were in now, and when the bubble pops were forced to print more bills or else everything stays frozen and decays.

but no worries, the 80 people that run this world know this. its why they got rid of the gold standard. they are 'richer' than they could ever have been with gold.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Hussra wrote:
cept when the unlikeable bush faced off against the not that well known kerry, the economy was the determining factor. as it has been in every presidential race going back, back, back. and the unlikeable Bush thumped the not disagreeable Kerry.

and even if Kerry had been a combo Oprah, Clay Aiken and Jeter, unlikeable Bush still wins in 2004. People vote their pocketbooks. Always have, always will.

if unemployment is still at 9% in November 2012--Repugs could've run Putin-Jong-un ticket and thumped Obama. Just ask the agreeable Jimmy Carter--who lost to the at that time seemingly "frightening" ex-actor. The hagiographic view we have of Reagan today is not anything like the scary warmonger many perceived Reagan to be in 1980.

And unemployment is just a proxy for general economic health; which the trend and not the absolute number is what you look at to see if the incumbent candidate/party retains or loses office.

Like Obama, Reagan wins re-election, handily, with an unemployment level not much different than what it was when he took office. but the trend both times favored those 2 candidates.

What does it mean for 2016?

Reagan, right before the campaign for 1984 began, called Paul Volcker into his office and lectured the Fed chairman about not raising interest rates too much, too fast right before the election. "Pulling the string", Reagan called the Fed's action of boosting rates and thereby tamping down economic activity and, more importantly for Volcker and his bondholder bosses on Wall St, inflation.

Volcker, if iirc, boosted rates some, but maybe not as much as he might have otherwise. And he pretty much left rates alone until after the election--at which point, at the urging of Martha Seger, the Fed begins cutting rates and the Reagan recovery really takes off. Reagan prolly would've appreciated Volcker cutting rates before the election, but maybe Volcker took Reagan's "hands off" remonstration literally.

Yellen's signaling suggests a mild rate bump--quarter point over the rest of this year. And, despite the seemingly low unemployment rate, the low workforce participation rate means that the economy is unlikely to overheat and drive up wages and prices. Yellen, while at the SF Fed, predicted a protracted recession and slow recovery. Expect Yellen to error on the side of not raising rates.

All of which should add up to the Democrat retaining the White House in 2016.

President Elizabeth Warren.
What about Gore v W? It wasn't the economy the cost Gore the election. And I'm not going to blame the Supreme Court either (that's like blaming the refs when you're team misses half its free throws). Gore lost because he was un-likable and much of the country had Clinton fatigue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Gore lost because he was un-likable and much of the country had Clinton fatigue.

Gore would have won if he hadn't completely distanced himself from Clinton and the previous 8 years in the White House.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
lipidquadcab wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Gore lost because he was un-likable and much of the country had Clinton fatigue.

Gore would have won if he hadn't completely distanced himself from Clinton and the previous 8 years in the White House.

That may be true but that plays into the perception of Clinton fatigue. There's no denying that Gore was not a likable dude either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

That may be true but that plays into the perception of Clinton fatigue. There's no denying that Gore was not a likable dude either.

Gore is/was as wooden as Howdy Doody.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Chus wrote:
Gore is/was as wooden as Howdy Doody.

Gore's condescension and asshattery in the debates made Bernsie look like the Welcome Wagon.