It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
For the record, I would FULLY support mandatory training for any CC permit holder. I don't think it's necessary for continued mandatory training. Once you pass your course...
That being said, 8 hours is a bit light for such a heavy responsibility. I'd prefer a little more classroom and instructor time.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Agree with Darko on his statement especially the part mentioning NRA training programs and for kids as well. He asks what most owners want. Leave us to choice to exercise our second amendment rights and leave us alone. I guess the justification is that some choices are not okay even if protected by the constitution. They use the public safety and good of society arguments.

If people and groups feel that strongly change the constitution with a clarifying new amendment. There is a process to do that.

Most responsible gun owners want training, most want uniform background checks & regulation of gun sales. The NRA & its trained chimps in Congress don't.

The NRA tosses out the "slippery slope" argument in favor of relaxed/lax/no gun registration, training or ownership restrictions. And it works, contrary to fairly massive public(& responsible gun owners') opinion. They never seem to have an opinion each time the CPD comes out with stats showing that a substantial % guns recovered/used in crimes here come from places like Indiana or Mississippi with little to no gun/gun sales regulations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:21 pm 

Darkside wrote:
For the record, I would FULLY support mandatory training for any CC permit holder. I don't think it's necessary for continued mandatory training. Once you pass your course...
That being said, 8 hours is a bit light for such a heavy responsibility. I'd prefer a little more classroom and instructor time.

I won't disagree with the rest of your statement, but I would think that there should have to be a periodic testing/requalification like a drivers' license. Maybe not for simple permits, but definitely for CC permits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Agree with Darko on his statement especially the part mentioning NRA training programs and for kids as well. He asks what most owners want. Leave us to choice to exercise our second amendment rights and leave us alone. I guess the justification is that some choices are not okay even if protected by the constitution. They use the public safety and good of society arguments.

If people and groups feel that strongly change the constitution with a clarifying new amendment. There is a process to do that.

Most responsible gun owners want training, most want uniform background checks & regulation of gun sales. The NRA & its trained chimps in Congress don't.

The NRA tosses out the "slippery slope" argument in favor of relaxed/lax/no gun registration, training or ownership restrictions. And it works, contrary to fairly massive public(& responsible gun owners') opinion. They never seem to have an opinion each time the CPD comes out with stats showing that a substantial % guns recovered/used in crimes here come from places like Indiana or Mississippi with little to no gun/gun sales regulations.

I also support training etc. I can't answer for the NRA because it is confusing. They provide and support training but I guess they do not want it to be a law. Fear that an entity could make the training so bureaucratic that it would prevent some ownership?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:24 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

I certainly want mandatory training. I am weary of over-training requirements, ie, cost prohibitive amounts of training. I am all for background checks. I am somewhat against mental health checks and/or requirements of mental health professionals reporting to licensing agencies.

I do find it interesting that a requirement of ID to vote is considered a poll tax, yet, it is ok to charge a similar amount of money to issue a FOID card to enjoy another constitutional right. Just a thought.

Yeah, we need to have big time background checks on weapons sales. I would love to eliminate the gun show exclusion. Private sales also should go thru a licensed dealer that must conduct background checks on both parties.

I would be against registering individual weapons serial numbers however.

I would also be very strongly against "tagging" ammo sales.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:26 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I won't disagree with the rest of your statement, but I would think that there should have to be a periodic testing/requalification like a drivers' license. Maybe not for simple permits, but definitely for CC permits.

I do see both sides of this. My current view is that once you know how to handle your weapon and safely handle, transport and discharge your weapon, you're probably good to go. My concern is the ongoing prohibitive cost. That guy, McDonald as in Chicago v. McDonald, should not have his right to carry revoked if he can't pony up a couple hundo for ongoing training.
But I do see your point and I think this is a minor issue that could be worked out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
pittmime wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Leave us to choice to exercise our second amendment rights and leave us alone.

Always a treat to have you stop by.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I also support training etc. I can't answer for the NRA because it is confusing. They provide and support training but I guess they do not want it to be a law. Fear that an entity could make the training so bureaucratic that it would prevent some ownership?

I don't believe (and I certainly could be wrong as I don't read every newsletter they put out) that they've ever denounced a carry law because of mandatory training. There is a fear that over-regulation could cause financial hardship or cost too much overall to properly and responsibly enjoy an American right.

At least here in Illinois they've very much in favor of training. It's in every newsletter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:35 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I do see both sides of this. My current view is that once you know how to handle your weapon and safely handle, transport and discharge your weapon, you're probably good to go.

Until your body starts breaking down. I mean there are some old people who could probably do everything correctly years ago but cant do it now.

I think the driving comparison is a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:38 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Until your body starts breaking down. I mean there are some old people who could probably do everything correctly years ago but cant do it now.

I think the driving comparison is a good one.

It's a fair point. I see problems with it, but it's an understandable and intelligent position.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:11 pm 

Darkside wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
perfect example where a gun wasnt needed and also an example of why men matter

And if he were away on business that week and mom was home alone... would you think she should take down an intruder with a bowling pin or would you rather, if that were your wife, she had herself a .38 or something like that?

if a housewife pulls a gun on me im grabbing it and blasting a huge hole in her head. see, i dont need a gun. people already have them for me to use.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:14 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I do see both sides of this. My current view is that once you know how to handle your weapon and safely handle, transport and discharge your weapon, you're probably good to go. My concern is the ongoing prohibitive cost. That guy, McDonald as in Chicago v. McDonald, should not have his right to carry revoked if he can't pony up a couple hundo for ongoing training.
But I do see your point and I think this is a minor issue that could be worked out.

i hate that people think guns are the only thing you can use for defense.

an old man can still use a taser and once the intruder is down just slowly, very slowly, cut off his balls.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:18 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Darkside wrote:

anyone ever actually been to a gun safety training course?

the only thing they STRESS is "behind ever bullet is a lawyer"

they drill this into you so hard that no matter what youre going to hesitate before pulling the trigger, and everyone knows if you pull a gun on someone you better not hesitate to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmime wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Leave us to choice to exercise our second amendment rights and leave us alone.

:lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
IkeSouth wrote:
see, i dont need a gun. people already have them for me to use.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:56 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
anyone ever actually been to a gun safety training course?

the only thing they STRESS is "behind ever bullet is a lawyer"

they drill this into you so hard that no matter what youre going to hesitate before pulling the trigger, and everyone knows if you pull a gun on someone you better not hesitate to use it.

Yes, and no.