It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:21 am 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gun-ow ... ar-AAaUFQx

Quote:
“The most common reason that people have a gun is because they have it for home protection,” he says. “Unfortunately, the data indicates that having a gun is associated with both an increased risk of homicide, but even more importantly, an increased risk of suicide. We know that, for example, if there’s a gun in the home, the risk of suicide among adolescents and young adults increases tenfold.

i hear the snowball comin down the mountain......

Quote:
“[Specter] approached the Centers for Disease and Control and discussed the idea that this research was biased,” says Rivara. Congress “ended up cutting the CDC budget by the exact amount of money that was used to fund the gun research. They had first threatened to cut all of the funding for injury research at the CDC. They didn’t do that, but they ended up cutting it by the exact amount that was spent on gun research.”

And that wasn't all. “More importantly, however, was that they put a clause for the appropriations of the CDC that essentially blocked all gun research for the next two decades," Rivara says.

but this is all OK right? because the 2nd ammendment says everyone should be armed to the teeth right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
IkeSouth wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gun-owners-face-much-higher-murder-risks-researchers-said-then-the-nra-silenced-them/ar-AAaUFQx

Quote:
“The most common reason that people have a gun is because they have it for home protection,” he says. “Unfortunately, the data indicates that having a gun is associated with both an increased risk of homicide, but even more importantly, an increased risk of suicide. We know that, for example, if there’s a gun in the home, the risk of suicide among adolescents and young adults increases tenfold.

i hear the snowball comin down the mountain......

Quote:
“[Specter] approached the Centers for Disease and Control and discussed the idea that this research was biased,” says Rivara. Congress “ended up cutting the CDC budget by the exact amount of money that was used to fund the gun research. They had first threatened to cut all of the funding for injury research at the CDC. They didn’t do that, but they ended up cutting it by the exact amount that was spent on gun research.”

And that wasn't all. “More importantly, however, was that they put a clause for the appropriations of the CDC that essentially blocked all gun research for the next two decades," Rivara says.

but this is all OK right? because the 2nd ammendment says everyone should be armed to the teeth right?

Yes. Yes it's OK.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:27 am 

Guns don't kill people, SomeGuy kills people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Quote:
“The most common reason that people have a gun is because they have it for home protection"

Calling bullshit on that right now. Maybe that's what people say, because we live in a horrible culture where unless your net worth is over $500m you have to justify everything you like with some bullshit utilitarian premise, but I can guarantee you the vast majority of Americans own guns because they just like guns. It's a hobby. Like fast cars or model trains or gerbils. Nobody actually believes they'll have to fight off a home invader (seriously who invades homes) they just like having a big fuckin' gun in the closet because to them that's cool.

I say more power to them. If it gets their kids killed, whatever. I care more about Carlos Rodon's elbow staying glued to his body more than I care about 10,000 kids combined. Its much more important to me that people here are allowed to enjoy and have hobbies.

For the record I've never shot a gun in my life and dont want to. Not my thing, doesn't mean its wrong and should be banned just 'cause its not my cup of tea. Maybe I'll have to learn to use one for the populist uprising, "ITS A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP, AMERICA."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Douchebag wrote:
Guns don't kill people, SomeGuy kills people.

I expect W_Z to be wearing a t-shirt with this on it at Lakemoor Fest this year.

Actually, Darkside should provide them for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:28 am 

ive shot plenty of guns. you pull the trigger and it goes bang. why some people get a rock hard dick every time they shoot a gun is beyond me. maybe its because i grew up with a bb gun in my right hand, or ive blown up plenty of things with homemade petro contraptions (WAY more fun than guns), but i just dont see what all the fuss is about. its a stupid gun

and why i dont like them in cities is because a stray shot that doesnt hit your kid can EASILY go through your drywall, through your insulation, through your vinyl siding and into your neighbors kid. they are far too dangerous to be using in the city. period.

i would like to see handguns outlawed and only rifles allowed in the county jurisdictions. if you think youre going to stop the united states government with your handguns then i got not time to debate with you because youre a fucking moron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
If someone accidentally shoots me through a couple of walls and it happens to cause real damage (like 90% of gunshots are non-fatal) then that's nothing more than shit luck and I just got my number called. It is much more likely that IMU's riced out hatchback comes careening out of control into my Mazda on the Bishop Ford than some 8 year old pulling off a miracle shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:41 pm 

America wrote:
If someone accidentally shoots me through a couple of walls and it happens to cause real damage (like 90% of gunshots are non-fatal) then that's nothing more than shit luck and I just got my number called. It is much more likely that IMU's riced out hatchback comes careening out of control into my Mazda on the Bishop Ford than some 8 year old pulling off a miracle shot.

i dont think you realize how often it happens. if you are OK with stray bullets flying around just because "90 percent of them wont kill you" then i dont know what to say http://lmgtfy.com/?q=deaths+from+stray+bullets# 62,500 results

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Suicide is a genetic thing. People destined to erase their own map are gonna find a way to do it, guns or no. [ See: Hemmingways ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I'm guessing genetically it wouldn't get passed on much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:58 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Suicide is a genetic thing. People destined to erase their own map are gonna find a way to do it, guns or no. [ See: Hemmingways ]

i agree with that.

but then you have facts that kinda fuckup any argument for the 2nd ammendment-
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/americ ... h-century/
Quote:
American Cops Just Killed More People in March than the UK Did in the Entire 20th Century

and these are COPS! trained professionals! yet people still think its OK to have stupid citizens armed to the teeth?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Does owning a car increase the odds of getting into a car wreck?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:09 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:

It's all right. Because the second amendment doesn't say that at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:15 pm 

America wrote:
Quote:
“The most common reason that people have a gun is because they have it for home protection"

Calling bullshit on that right now. Maybe that's what people say, because we live in a horrible culture where unless your net worth is over $500m you have to justify everything you like with some bullshit utilitarian premise, but I can guarantee you the vast majority of Americans own guns because they just like guns. It's a hobby. Like fast cars or model trains or gerbils. Nobody actually believes they'll have to fight off a home invader (seriously who invades homes) they just like having a big fuckin' gun in the closet because to them that's cool.

I say more power to them. If it gets their kids killed, whatever. I care more about Carlos Rodon's elbow staying glued to his body more than I care about 10,000 kids combined. Its much more important to me that people here are allowed to enjoy and have hobbies.

For the record I've never shot a gun in my life and dont want to. Not my thing, doesn't mean its wrong and should be banned just 'cause its not my cup of tea. Maybe I'll have to learn to use one for the populist uprising, "ITS A MAGAZINE NOT A CLIP, AMERICA."

There's plenty of home invasions. There was one in Crystal Lake a few months ago, where a young man shot someone who was there to as I recall it harm his sister. Might have saved her life.
I also recall the Wilmette one a few years back as well... that one was related to someone that broke in a few days earlier and stole a spare set of keys (while the family was on vacation) and the perp returned.
I myself own several weapons. A shotgun for fowl hunting, a shotgun for deer hunting, a pistol for personal protection/hobby shooting. Mainly used for the purpose of hobby shooting. I find going to a range a shit ton of fun.
It's not to get my dick hard. I get that done without needing a weapon or a car or anything else. It's a choice in hobby, and, in my opinion, a particularly useful skill to work on.
Some guys build cars that can go from 0-60 in 3 seconds. Or that have a top speed over 160 miles an hour. Will they ever need to obtain those speeds? No. But building it and accomplishing it can be a shit ton of fun.
No one really needs to do whatever their hobby is. Because that's what a hobby is. Something you don't need to do but you do because it's something you find entertaining and fun and get something out of on a personal level.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:28 pm 

Darkside wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

the nra preaches that the 2nd amendment is wide open and anyone should be able to own any gun.

but if you read the amendment it clearly states all MILITARY personnel should have this right. the intent was the government cannont disarm the standing military just to keep them from carrying out a coup.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:29 pm 

Darkside wrote:

absolutely. thats why were making cars drive themselves. i have been preaching for years the moment we have that technology, we should make human driving illegal on public roads.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
but if you read the amendment it clearly states all MILITARY personnel should have this right. the intent was the government cannont disarm the standing military just to keep them from carrying out a coup.

I think that if you read Heller v. DC and McDonald v. Chicago you'll understand that your interpretation of the 2nd amendment is incorrect. Seems those constitutional scholars have a different opinion on the law.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:31 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Darkside wrote:

absolutely. thats why were making cars drive themselves. i have been preaching for years the moment we have that technology, we should make human driving illegal on public roads.

If we could make a kitchen in which dinner cooks itself and eliminates the possibility of a grease fire destorying one's home, should that become required by law as well?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
IkeSouth wrote:
Darkside wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

the nra preaches that the 2nd amendment is wide open and anyone should be able to own any gun.

I'm pretty sure the intent of the founding fathers wasn't for pencil-dicked crackers to carry AK-47s to Walmart, when they buy Cheez Balls and bean dip.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm 

Darkside wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

I think that if you read Heller v. DC and McDonald v. Chicago you'll understand that your interpretation of the 2nd amendment is incorrect. Seems those constitutional scholars have a different opinion on the law.

BARELY, and they left open the change for review of the subject. in other words, even the courts arent really sure what the founding fathers wanted and they didnt want to change drastic change in the limited time they had to make the decision.

im just going by what the amendment actually says. im giving my opinion on what i think it means, but my conclusions are based strictly off the words used. a judge has to factor in every aspect of the debate which is a very different process, and again, it was a 5-4 vote.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm 

Chus wrote:
I'm pretty sure the intent of the founding fathers wasn't for pencil-dicked crackers to carry AK-47s to Walmart, when they buy Cheez Balls and bean dip.

exactly. and people need to remember this law was written by the same people who owned SLAVES. it was a different time back then and we need to consider that.

Last edited by IkeSouth on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:41 pm 

Chus wrote:

I'm also pretty sure that the 2nd amendment does not provide such protection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 pm 

Chus wrote:
The way I read the second amendment, if it truly is about a militia, then they'd want citizens to have equal arms to the government.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Chus wrote:

I'm also pretty sure that the 2nd amendment does not provide such protection.

my point is the NRA thinks it does, and they feel people should be able to open carry whatever they want in walmart or even court or wherever...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:43 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Chus wrote:

exactly. and people need to remember this law was written by the same people who owned SLAVES.

If we want to be precise, it's the due process law of the 14th amendment which grants individual protection under the 2nd amendment. Very much opposed by the people who owned SLAVES and more or less forced upon the southern states as a condition of readmission into congress IIRC. Look man, I'm no constitutional scholar here but if we're gonna trash the laws and the people who wrote them let's get the facts right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Chus wrote:
The way I read the second amendment, if it truly is about a militia, then they'd want citizens to have equal arms to the government.

For the record, the individual mandate is guaranteed technically under the 14th... that being said, the intent was that a citizen based militia would be able to properly report to duty.
This concept works very well in Sweden, who has the highest gun ownership rates in the world. The problem isn't owning guns. It's probably more cultural. I don't know the answer. I'm not a sociologist.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
]

my point is the NRA thinks it does, and they feel people should be able to open carry whatever they want in walmart or even court or wherever...

I don't think the NRA thinks that. I could see how someone might get that impression not knowing them first hand, only based on, say MSN.com type articles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm 

Darkside wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Chus wrote:

exactly. and people need to remember this law was written by the same people who owned SLAVES.

If we want to be precise, it's the due process law of the 14th amendment which grants individual protection under the 2nd amendment. Very much opposed by the people who owned SLAVES and more or less forced upon the southern states as a condition of readmission into congress IIRC. Look man, I'm no constitutional scholar here but if we're gonna trash the laws and the people who wrote them let's get the facts right.

lol, i hear that argument all the time. the 14th amendment is bullshit. it was written to make all men equal except those men who work for those guys who wrote the law :roll:

the fact is the constitution SHOULD be changed. we need to revise these amendments to read in modern english and have clear intent spelled out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
lol, i hear that argument all the time. the 14th amendment is bullshit. it was written to make all men equal except those men who work for those guys who wrote the law :roll:

the fact is the constitution SHOULD be changed. we need to revise these amendments to read in modern english and have clear intent spelled out.

Well then you go ahead and lead the charge. Imagine the things that Americans today would think they're entitled to.
Do you think that access to clean water should be a constitutional right? Things like that... unimaginable consequences.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:50 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:

What does this mean?