It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: furnaces
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 pm 

that one in that one commerical looks awesome doesnt it? well crafted, even made entirely of aluminum! i would love a furnace that doesnt rust! oh and it has an ice despenser for when you need a drink while you work on it! even though you never need to work on it because the quality of the parts used are phenomenal. really, its just a beauty to look at!

Post subject: Re: furnaces
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Buy two.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:48 pm 

you know what im talkin bout! i will use one for upstairs and one for down stairs and interconnect them for zone heating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 pm 

oh i also forgot. my grandmas furnace has a bad inducer motor. well the motor windings are fine but the bearings sound like a rock tumbler.

im gonna fix it and i dont even have a license to do it. i mean it though, im going to fix it. within a couple weeks too. not kidding.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:51 pm 

Its a lot easier to just replace the whole assembly. What kind of furnace is it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 pm 

i was going to unwind the armature wires and rewind them so it spins twice as fast as normal. then i will remove the bearings and super glue in electromagnets for a friction-free stator action.

its a lennox. i cringed the moment i read on the label "made in texas"

what the fuck do they know about heating homes?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:57 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
i was going to unwind the armature wires and rewind them so it spins twice as fast as normal. then i will remove the bearings and super glue in electromagnets for a friction-free stator action.

its a lennox. i cringed the moment i read on the label "made in texas"

what the fuck do they know about heating homes?

You might not want to do that without adjusting the pressure switch. If this is a 90 you might have too much combustion air.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hydronics!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:59 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Hydronics!!!

If you get it done with PEX instead of copper you got a lifetime system right there.
Love boilers. course, you still need an air handler to cool in summer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:02 pm 

way ahead of you. i was going to pump acetylene into the combustion chamber using a turbo assembly bolted to the exhaust on the side of the house

seriously though, i cant believe it hasnt started a fire. i squirted some silicone grease into the bearings through the vent holes and as i walked upstairs i made sure i knew where the fire extinguisher was. i turned on the stat, ran down stairs and was relieved to see no fire started.

it actually worked too. i really didnt think it would, i was just getting annoyed by the blender noise so rough it shook the house. but its pretty good now! i think i bought myself the one week it will still be used this spring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:03 pm 

Might be able to get you wholesale price on that motor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 pm 

that would be cool if you feel like it. it really is grandmas, she can pay for it so i dont care much either way. i was going to check with the local lennox distributor and tell them their furnaces are weird. ok i mean i was going to ask them to run the serial numbers and see if its under warranty.

i got a good connection with a manager at a carrier distributor in rockford but that doesnt help at all with lennox stuff. she says 'ew no we dont do that shit'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:10 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
that would be cool if you feel like it. it really is grandmas, she can pay for it so i dont care much either way. i was going to check with the local lennox distributor and tell them their furnaces are weird. ok i mean i was going to ask them to run the serial numbers and see if its under warranty.

i got a good connection with a manager at a carrier distributor in rockford but that doesnt help at all with lennox stuff. she says 'ew no we dont do that shit'

The lennox 80% inducers are a bitch to change. you have to remove the collector box on almost all of them.
make sure you get a gasket assembly when you buy the motor. it should be a package but who knows with rockford.
get a little elmers glue on the gasket to hold it in place while you bolt the motor back in place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:15 pm 

oh no its a 90%er. looks dead simple to change out. as an electrician i would love to disassemble and rebuild the motor, honestly, but the time involved to find proper bearings doesnt intrigue me. looks like the assembly is about $160 for an "oem" part. sucks because the oem part thats on there doesn't look very quality and obviously it didnt last more than 5 years. i think its been 5 years... maybe 6

elmers glue? when im a mechanic, this is my go-to stuff for temp holding gaskets in place http://www.amazon.com/3M-08001-Yellow-W ... B000HTNNDA pretty fucking amazing adhesive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:22 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
oh no its a 90%er. looks dead simple to change out. as an electrician i would love to disassemble and rebuild the motor, honestly, but the time involved to find proper bearings doesnt intrigue me. looks like the assembly is about $160 for an "oem" part. sucks because the oem part thats on there doesn't look very quality and obviously it didnt last more than 5 years. i think its been 5 years... maybe 6

elmers glue? when im a mechanic, this is my go-to stuff for temp holding gaskets in place http://www.amazon.com/3M-08001-Yellow-W ... B000HTNNDA pretty fucking amazing adhesive.

Have a friend of mine that runs a bearing shop here in Germantown Ike.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:43 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

does he rebuild motors? it would just need the bearings replaced.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:45 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

No, just sales bearings of all kinds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:47 pm 

hmm... maybe i just rip apart the motor and send him the bearings? he can match and sell me new ones? i have all summer...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hawg Ass wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:01 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
hmm... maybe i just rip apart the motor and send him the bearings? he can match and sell me new ones? i have all summer...

Bearings Inc. in Germantown, WI just give them a call, they are decent size shop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:03 pm 

thanks man. i will call them

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
How much to replace an old ass furnace? Thing is 90k/66k btu And is at least 50 years old. Can provide additional details.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:40 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
How much to replace an old ass furnace? Thing is 90k/66k btu And is at least 50 years old. Can provide additional details.

Depends on how many btu you need, and whether you choose a standard efficient 80% or a low end 90 or a higher end 95+%. Branding also. A carrier or trane will cost you more than a Goodman or a magic chef (for a reason). Also, cheap installs are just that. I would rather have a pos furnace brand installed perfectly than a super awesome brand installed by hacks (like a certain company that we all know the jingle for if we watch Cubs of Sox games).
Many factors to be considered. General... A nice carrier or bryant 80 with 80k btu around 3k. Maybe 1500 more for a solid 90% . That's retail type prices. Might be cheaper friend type prices out there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Darkside wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Depends on how many btu you need, and whether you choose a standard efficient 80% or a low end 90 or a higher end 95+%. Branding also. A carrier or trane will cost you more than a Goodman or a magic chef (for a reason). Also, cheap installs are just that. I would rather have a pos furnace brand installed perfectly than a super awesome brand installed by hacks (like a certain company that we all know the jingle for if we watch Cubs of Sox games).
Many factors to be considered. General... A nice carrier or bryant 80 with 80k btu around 3k. Maybe 1500 more for a solid 90% . That's retail type prices. Might be cheaper friend type prices out there.

Home is 1200 sq. ft. And two stories. What kind of problems can be expected when trying to replace a very old furnace?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Hey Ike- Just a thought, I had a similar noise from my Trane last fall- turns out a spider nest plugged the condensate drain to the sump pump, which backed water up into my induction motor- it ran, but made a hell of a racket as it pumped water out first. Used some spray lube to quiet it down the first time, then looked a little closer and found the issue later. Cleared the flow path and OILA!, original blowed sounds perfect!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 pm 

Common problems in old unit conversions...
Insufficient duct work is common. If it's really 50 years old the duct work was likely designed for 100 cubic feet per 10 btu per minute, but a modern condensing furnace needs to move 150. Venting can be an issue if you move to a 90+ as it needs to be independent venting with pvc. Not always but sometimes in old houses or finished areas it can be tricky. Removing the old unit can be an issue if the house, ah, evolved around the equipments though, a determined tech with a reciprocating saw can solve that quick enough.
Not really a problem just inconvenience.
1200 Sq ft sounds like a 80k 80% would do it but it depends on windows insulation and all kinds of stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:06 pm 

K Effective wrote:
Hey Ike- Just a thought, I had a similar noise from my Trane last fall- turns out a spider nest plugged the condensate drain to the sump pump, which backed water up into my induction motor- it ran, but made a hell of a racket as it pumped water out first. Used some spray lube to quiet it down the first time, then looked a little closer and found the issue later. Cleared the flow path and OILA!, original blowed sounds perfect!

Did you hear a slushing type sound at all or just the bearing noise?
Usually when water backs up that bad the pressure switch won't make cause the secondary is plugged.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Don Tiny wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Don't tell me my business, boy!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way