It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SCOTUS
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:47 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Damn. Scalia's dissenting opinion on this is something to read.

I tend to think he is correct.

Scalia wrote:
This is a naked judicial claim to legislative—indeed, super-legislative—power; a claim fundamentally at odds with our system of government. Except as limited by a constitutional prohibition agreed to by the People, the States are free to adopt whatever laws they like, even those that offend the esteemed Justices’ “reasoned judg- ment.” A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy.

Post subject: Re: SCOTUS
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
SCOTUS blowing this thing up would be a more radical intrusion into the legislative process IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:00 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
He's really BRick-ing the opinion.

Scalia wrote:
The opinion is couched in a style that is as pretentious as its content is egotistic. It is one thing for separate con- curring or dissenting opinions to contain extravagances, even silly extravagances, of thought and expression; it is something else for the official opinion of the Court to do so.22 Of course the opinion’s showy profundities are often profoundly incoherent. “The nature of marriage is that, through its enduring bond, two persons together can find other freedoms, such as expression, intimacy, and spiritu- ality.”23 (Really? Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms? And if intimacy is, one would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie. Expression, sure enough, is a freedom, but anyone in a long-lasting marriage will attest that that happy state constricts, rather than expands, what one can prudently say.) Rights, we are told, can “rise . . . from a better informed understanding of how constitutional imperatives define a liberty that remains urgent in our own era.”24 (Huh? How can a better informed under- standing of how constitutional imperatives [whatever that means] define [whatever that means] an urgent liberty [never mind], give birth to a right?) And we are told that, “[i]n any particular case,” either the Equal Protection or Due Process Clause “may be thought to capture the es- sence of [a] right in a more accurate and comprehensive way,” than the other, “even as the two Clauses may con- verge in the identification and definition of the right.”25 (What say? What possible “essence” does substantive due process “capture” in an “accurate and comprehensive way”? It stands for nothing whatever, except those free- doms and entitlements that this Court really likes. And the Equal Protection Clause, as employed today, identifies nothing except a difference in treatment that this Court really dislikes. Hardly a distillation of essence. If the opinion is correct that the two clauses “converge in the identification and definition of [a] right,” that is only because the majority’s likes and dislikes are predictably compatible.) I could go on. The world does not expect logic and precision in poetry or inspirational pop- philosophy; it demands them in the law. The stuff con- tained in today’s opinion has to diminish this Court’s reputation for clear thinking and sober analysis.

Scalia wrote:
If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opin- ion for the Court that began: “The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights thatallow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,” I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie.
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
All the Catholic males opposed gay marriage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Thanks to "A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers", black people don't have to deal with lawfully segregated schools and drinking fountains, for example.

Scalia's a prick and simply wrote a political screed, which isn't his job at all. All the court did was rule - as they have several times in the past in other various cases - in favor of the 'spirit of the law' ... nothing new was done, no precedent set.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 am 

I'm all for gay marriage. I hope everyone gets the gay and gets married to each other.

But, this just feels like an end around to get it done. It should come from the legislature, not a redefinition from the judicial branch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:07 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
It should come from the legislature, not a redefinition from the judicial branch.

which decision are you talking about here?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:11 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
It should come from the legislature, not a redefinition from the judicial branch.

which decision are you talking about here?

The Opinion of the Court on gay marriage.

Quote:
The nature of injustice is that we may not always see it in our own times. The generations that wrote and ratified the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment did not presume to know the extent of freedom in all of its dimen- sions, and so they entrusted to future generations a char- ter protecting the right of all persons to enjoy liberty as we learn its meaning. When new insight reveals discord between the Constitution’s central protections and a re- ceived legal stricture, a claim to liberty must be addressed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:12 am 

but court should make policy on ACA?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:13 am 

I'm all for gay marriage. I hope everyone gets the gay and gets married to each other.

But, this just feels like an end around to get it done. It should come from the legislature, not a redefinition from the judicial branch.

???

It did come from the legislature; the judiciary verified what the legislature said albeit in a less than ideal, but still obvious, way. I fail to see what your point is.

Scalia's prattle is nothing more than some asshole in a bar talking loudly to hear himself talk, not to make any salient point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

isn't it in the legislature...as marriage?

what also came from the legislature was the same-sex bans, which is what the courts are ruling on.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:15 am 

Don Tiny wrote:

???

It did come from the legislature; the judiciary verified what the legislature said albeit in a less than ideal, but still obvious, way. I fail to see what your point is.

Scalia's prattle is nothing more than some asshole in a bar talking loudly to hear himself talk, not to make any salient point.

I just thought Scalia was funny. He went off the edge in response.

I see your point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
divorce lawyers are happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The court was right in simply saying you cannot ban gay marriage. Therefore, other states must respect those. Therefore, if you cannot ban it then it is legal. Whatever, government should not be in marriage anyway other than at the state level to register it for tax or divorce reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 am 

I'm happy with the result but the ruling felt a bit broad to me.

I guess I'm in the minority. Carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I'm happy with the result but the ruling felt a bit broad to me.

I guess I'm in the minority. Carry on.

I was more baffled yesterday actually but on this ruling I do not think many feel strongly as most thing it should be legal. But what do I know I am just a drunk, Fox/Drudge/Limbaugh/Hannity right wing whacko. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:25 am 

"Christians" will now have to find some other issue with which to alienate everybody else with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Don Tiny wrote:
Thanks to "A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers", black people don't have to deal with lawfully segregated schools and drinking fountains, for example.

Scalia's a prick and simply wrote a political screed, which isn't his job at all. All the court did was rule - as they have several times in the past in other various cases - in favor of the 'spirit of the law' ... nothing new was done, no precedent set.

Scalia has previously said that he thinks that Plessy v. Ferguson should be the governing decision on segregation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Hatchetman wrote:
"Christians" will now have to find some other issue with which to alienate everybody else with.

The Catholic church will probably be changing its view on gay marriage sooner than you think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:35 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
The Catholic church will probably be changing its view on gay marriage sooner than you think.

Not gonna happen and that's fine. They just need to STFU about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Scalia is fucking hilarious and I love him for it.

He's actually technically correct here but look at the laws congress has passed since St. Ronnie sold the country. If you wanted them to tackle this it would've taken another 5 years and there'd be a trillion dollars worth of subsidies built in for Halliburton to administer the marriages.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Tall Midget wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Scalia has previously said that he thinks that Plessy v. Ferguson should be the governing decision on segregation.

I'm almost positive he said he would have joined John Marshall. His views aren't surprising. He doesn't believe that the constitution is a living document.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:00 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Much like Bill Maher, Scalia will either give you indisputable truth or wacky bullshit. These days I think we're getting more wacky bullshit from the Supreme Court justice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:00 am 

Don Tiny wrote:

???

I just thought Scalia was funny. He went off the edge in response.

I see your point.

Oh; I see. Nevermind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:04 am 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Much like Bill Maher, Scalia will either give you indisputable truth or wacky bullshit. These days I think we're getting more wacky bullshit from the Supreme Court justice.

Scalia has been fairly consistent. Tell me what the case is and I will be able to tell you how he will rule.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:12 am 
100000 CLUB

I was right.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-LB-21307

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I keep reading this as SCROTUM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I'm almost positive he said he would have joined John Marshall. His views aren't surprising. He doesn't believe that the constitution is a living document.

To be fair to Scalia, it has been a long time since Jesus wrote the Constitution.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:25 am 
100000 CLUB

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:26 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
All the Catholic males opposed gay marriage.

Incorrect.