It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 187  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
It would appear that one of my fears is going to come true next week. My 19 yr old step daughter will be moving back home for an
undetermined amount of time and living in my basement. She is really good at creating drama and I am usually a mild mannered,
low-key person so I have a feeling that this is going to be an uncomfortable situation for me. When my wife and I got married we
didn't move in together 6 weeks later until her daughter moved away and went to school because she knew it would be a very uncomfortable
situation. I have pretty much no relationship with her so I can try to look at this as a positive and maybe try to forge something or I
can get frustrated by it and let her stress me out. I prefer to try the former if I can. This will be the biggest test of my patience in my
life.
Charge her rent from the beginning. Put it in a separate account for when she wants to move out(or keep it and spend it on beer) and then give it back to help with expenses/down payment. This gives her incentive to not want to live there forever and it also helps her learn about the real world. You can tell her your plan if you think it would work better if she knew.

Interesting idea. She claims she is only going to be staying with us for 6 weeks but my wife and I find that hard to believe. Part of the reason she
is moving home is to get her back on her feet again and put some money in the bank. If she starts enjoying the free rent and free food a little too
much I think your idea is a valid one.
Do it from the start. Trust me. It's a lot harder after the fact. Be up front she gets the money when she moves out in that case.
Yup. You can also offer a one time only free month that she can use whenever (that is what my folks did with me, and like Mike suggested they only charged a nominal sum). But you and your wife have to be staunch allies on this and ready to give her das boot if she misses another month or falls behind.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 am 

Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:
It's become a big discussion point among couples with older children and when is the right time for them to leave the nest. We have many folks in our circle of friends that are allowing older children to live at home and/or are supporting them even in very minor ways- doing the "kids'" laundry, cooking them meals, paying cell phones bills, paying for car repairs, etc. Now 19 is still young, and most of our discussions revolve around 25-35 years olds. We even have one guy down the street with an over 40 "kid" living at home. Another has all four kids still living at home with the oldest nearing 30. I guess adult children love Pulte homes.

In any case best of luck with that. My mother got remarried when I was younger, and it took a long time to adjust to a step father and step brothers. Now they are no different than my biological equivalents.

I think as long as the "kid" is in school, living at home (during summer and breaks from school) is acceptable. I would think after graduating college, they should be out on their own quickly. I was gone 4-6 weeks after graduating college, and I would have done it even sooner if it was possible.
Times have changed somewhat and it is very common in other countries to stay in the same house while an adult. Americans popularized it with the expanding housing market. There are a few reasons. A lot of high school/college grads don't make much money and rents are currently very high in many areas. Lives also can be more complicated. I was driving all around Illinois/Indiana most weekends for a few years after college so it didn't make sense to get my own place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
A lot of high school/college grads don't make much money and rents are currently very high in many areas.

There are MANY jobs to be had. You probably won't be able to afford a Pulte home, but there are also MANY affordable options out there for a first home.

Also, move.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:36 am 

I had a discussion back in April with my oldest on this very topic (2 years in advance now). I'm pretty much a homebody, my son's generally been pretty responsible and I'd love to have him come back home until he can save enough to comfortably move where he wants going forward if he wants. It's really never been a thought in my mind otherwise. Neither has "rent".

Apparently his mother implied something different. Of course, prior to my conversation, my son had been filled with talk of relocating to California. He still may, but it's not for being charged rent in his own home. Helps me sleep better at night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
It would appear that one of my fears is going to come true next week. My 19 yr old step daughter will be moving back home for an
undetermined amount of time and living in my basement. She is really good at creating drama and I am usually a mild mannered,
low-key person so I have a feeling that this is going to be an uncomfortable situation for me. When my wife and I got married we
didn't move in together 6 weeks later until her daughter moved away and went to school because she knew it would be a very uncomfortable
situation. I have pretty much no relationship with her so I can try to look at this as a positive and maybe try to forge something or I
can get frustrated by it and let her stress me out. I prefer to try the former if I can. This will be the biggest test of my patience in my
life.
Charge her rent from the beginning. Put it in a separate account for when she wants to move out(or keep it and spend it on beer) and then give it back to help with expenses/down payment. This gives her incentive to not want to live there forever and it also helps her learn about the real world. You can tell her your plan if you think it would work better if she knew.

Interesting idea. She claims she is only going to be staying with us for 6 weeks but my wife and I find that hard to believe. Part of the reason she
is moving home is to get her back on her feet again and put some money in the bank. If she starts enjoying the free rent and free food a little too
much I think your idea is a valid one.
Do it from the start. Trust me. It's a lot harder after the fact. Be up front she gets the money when she moves out in that case.

Talked to my wife about this idea and decided we would implement it if she stays beyond July. Thanks for the suggestion. The idea of giving her
the money back is a good one. We will see if it even gets to that point. I just never thought that I would be in this situation, she has never stayed
at my house for more than 2 days at a stretch and I have zero relationship with her, so it is a little awkward.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:58 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
I had a discussion back in April with my oldest on this very topic (2 years in advance now). I'm pretty much a homebody, my son's generally been pretty responsible and I'd love to have him come back home until he can save enough to comfortably move where he wants going forward if he wants. It's really never been a thought in my mind otherwise. Neither has "rent".

Apparently his mother implied something different. Of course, prior to my conversation, my son had been filled with talk of relocating to California. He still may, but it's not for being charged rent in his own home. Helps me sleep better at night.

I echo your sentiments.

I like my kids and understand I have a lifetime commitment to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I echo your sentiments.

I like my kids and understand I have a lifetime commitment to them.

Becoming a step parent and not having any children of my own has been quite an experience. I can understand the sentiment you both have
towards your own children.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
T-Bone wrote:
life.

Don't be afraid, try and look at it as an opportunity to build a relationship where one did not previously exist. Sit down with her and ask her what her plans are. And listen as well as you can. Offer to be of help to her in fulfilling those plans. Set a positive tone by admitting telling her you are looking forward to getting to know her better. If she asks you questions, be honest with her.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:56 pm 

Set her up with IMU or America.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This morning I was just getting started on my bike ride and I have to make a left turn from Kedzie onto Touhy. There's a long dedicated left turn lane and I always go in there. With the way traffic backs up on Touhy there's no way a car can get through there faster than I can on my bike. In fact, most times I'm running on top of the guy in front of me. There's absolutely no reason for someone behind me to get antsy except for the fact that they hate the guy on the bike. He hate me. Usually I could actually ride right past cars there if I wanted to- and I've seen guys do it- but it's too dangerous and against the Rules of the Road. So today I'm behind about five or six cars and we get the green arrow to turn left. I'm right behind the car in front of me, I mean less than a foot from her bumper. All of a sudden I see a car in the left turn lane to my right and right next to me. I started yelling, "Don't do that!" This idiot broad just gave me a slack-jawed stare. (At least she didn't get indignant with me which is the usual reaction when a driver breaks the law and the cyclist gets angry.) She kept coming though and I called her a crazy bitch. I caught up with her at the light at McCormick and stopped to tell her I should knock her fuckin' teeth out. I'm sure the construction worker that was there thought I was a lunatic but he didn't see her try to run me off the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
This morning I was just getting started on my bike ride and I have to make a left turn from Kedzie onto Touhy. There's a long dedicated left turn lane and I always go in there. With the way traffic backs up on Touhy there's no way a car can get through there faster than I can on my bike. In fact, most times I'm running on top of the guy in front of me. There's absolutely no reason for someone behind me to get antsy except for the fact that they hate the guy on the bike. He hate me. Usually I could actually ride right past cars there if I wanted to- and I've seen guys do it- but it's too dangerous and against the Rules of the Road. So today I'm behind about five or six cars and we get the green arrow to turn left. I'm right behind the car in front of me, I mean less than a foot from her bumper. All of a sudden I see a car in the left turn lane to my right and right next to me. I started yelling, "Don't do that!" This idiot broad just gave me a slack-jawed stare. (At least she didn't get indignant with me which is the usual reaction when a driver breaks the law and the cyclist gets angry.) She kept coming though and I called her a crazy bitch. I caught up with her at the light at McCormick and stopped to tell her I should knock her fuckin' teeth out. I'm sure the construction worker that was there thought I was a lunatic but he didn't see her try to run me off the road.

All bike riders should die. :lol: Just kidding. Seriously though I appreciate a rider with the rules firmly in their riding habits. What I really detest are the ones that only use the rules when it it to their advantage. The guy that I am behind and respecting as he goes slowly then when we stop at a light he goes right through.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:34 am 

I hate rainouts more than losses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:57 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

All bike riders should die. :lol: Just kidding. Seriously though I appreciate a rider with the rules firmly in their riding habits. What I really detest are the ones that only use the rules when it it to their advantage. The guy that I am behind and respecting as he goes slowly then when we stop at a light he goes right through.

Yeah, that's most riders. I figure if I don't follow the Rules of the Road, how can I expect drivers around me to follow them?

And I'm not going to tell you I come to a dead stop at every stop sign, but I check and if a car is there first and has the right-of-way I wait for him to go. Many times the car will wait on me which is annoying but understandable because so many cyclists blow right through. Really, I'm more concerned about running into a spandex goof who roars right through the stop without even looking.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 am 

I believe the guy digging a pool in my neighborhood was smoking a marijuana cigarette in his car as I walked by. I have been concerned that my behavior today will be uncontrollable. I think he put it out fairly quickly though when he saw me as I assume that type of behavior would be frowned upon. I wanted to tell him that I listen to a podcast of a guy who partakes too so it is cool but I was worried that the intoxicant he had smoked would cause him to act violently towards me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Really, I'm more concerned about running into a spandex goof who roars right through the stop without even looking.

We refer to them as the "Lance Armstrongs". Nothing pisses me off more...especially when I actually need to be somewhere...they are out in force all over the north suburbs on weekend mornings.

Worst part about it is that most of the ones I run across have no business wearing spandex...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
seven hour delay leaving St.Louis yesterday. was in air for 2 hours! This is normally a 40 minute flight. asked my aviation geek brother-in-law to find out what the hell happened. Turned out we flew AROUND Lincoln Nebraska to avoid storms. anyway, i was very close to losing my mind on that flight..got home 2:00AM. work can go fuck itself today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:14 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
seven hour delay leaving St.Louis yesterday. was in air for 2 hours! This is normally a 40 minute flight. asked my aviation geek brother-in-law to find out what the hell happened. Turned out we flew AROUND Lincoln Nebraska to avoid storms. anyway, i was very close to losing my mind on that flight..got home 2:00AM. work can go fuck itself today.

This is why I drive for any business travel 5 hours or under. It's not worth dealing with airport bullshit. When you factor in arriving early for your flight, or possible delays, plus flight time, I usually break even on travel time, and have a much less stressful experience. I can also expense the mileage, which usually ends up as a win for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Douchebag wrote:
[
This is why I drive for any business travel 5 hours or under. It's not worth dealing with airport bullshit. When you factor in arriving early for your flight, or possible delays, plus flight time, I usually break even on travel time, and have a much less stressful experience. I can also expense the mileage, which usually ends up as a win for myself.

I generally have a "four hour" rule. So I drive to Green Bay for example. Work gives me shit about using my own car - they want you to rent a car which is much cheaper for them but a pain in the ass for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
[

I generally have a "four hour" rule. So I drive to Green Bay for example. Work gives me shit about using my own car - they want you to rent a car which is much cheaper for them but a pain in the ass for me.

I would be okay with having a rental also. It reduces the wear and tear on my own car.

I had a client last year that wanted me to fly to Bloomington IL. They thought it was odd that I wanted to drive 2 hours instead. It actually would have taken me more time to drive to O'hare early, get on my flight, land at Bloomington, rent a car, and drive to where I needed to be. They didn't even have a process in place to expense mileage, so they told me I could just expense the cost of the flight as my "mileage". That was a nice bump in pay. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Douchebag wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

For once, you are right. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
for about 10 years of my career here at my current job, we privately flew everywhere. i could get to green bay or minneapolis from the QCA in an hour and a half. but our pilot left the company.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
hnd wrote:
for about 10 years of my career here at my current job, we privately flew everywhere. i could get to green bay or minneapolis from the QCA in an hour and a half. but our pilot left the company.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I believe the guy digging a pool in my neighborhood was smoking a marijuana cigarette in his car as I walked by.

Pool guys are all weedheads and alcoholics. Plus, they all badmouth each other. :lol:

I wish JORR had some pool guy stories.

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:07 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I believe the guy digging a pool in my neighborhood was smoking a marijuana cigarette in his car as I walked by.

Pool guys are all weedheads and alcoholics. Plus, they all badmouth each other. :lol

I wish JORR had some pool guy stories.
That's why I minded my own business. I don't want to be an enemy of the pool Mafia.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
In fact, most times I'm running on top of the guy in front of me. There's absolutely no reason for someone behind me to get antsy except for the fact that they hate the guy on the bike. He hate me.

Joe Orr Road Rod Smart?

I'll see myself out...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 am 

Bought some airfare to visit my younger brother who lives in Charlotte next week. He is very ill and there is a chance that he
only has a few months to live unless he gets an organ transplant. Really didn't hit me hard until I bought the airfare that this
might be the last chance to spend time with him. I am going so that I don't get some kind of call and rush down there and he
is all hooked up to a bunch of machines. Still hoping for a miracle but planning for the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Aw damn tbone... aorry to hear that.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
T-Bone wrote:
Bought some airfare to visit my younger brother who lives in Charlotte next week. He is very ill and there is a chance that he
only has a few months to live unless he gets an organ transplant. Really didn't hit me hard until I bought the airfare that this
might be the last chance to spend time with him. I am going so that I don't get some kind of call and rush down there and he
is all hooked up to a bunch of machines. Still hoping for a miracle but planning for the worst.

That sucks :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
That's terrible. Sorry T-Bone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
T-Bone wrote:

Sorry to hear that, bro.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 187  Next