It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 187  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
But even that movie was just a couple hours drive to Vegas.

Maybe I'm just cut from a different cloth. Golf in the AM, party at a house or bar with entertainment in the PM was all I wanted.

Yeah, mine was just a bar...then burritos at like midnight. It was awesome.

Nothing wrong with dinner at a nice steakhouse and a pub crawl, either...

This out of town shit...especially at the noted pricetags, if fucking nuts.

Thanks for the invite. I like burritos.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
$20 a game for little league in Arlington Heights...and I used to have to deal with the fucking parents. I'd rather deal with douchebags.

Little League parents can be bad but there's nothing worse than the asshole in a coed league who is playing like he's Pete Rose in Game 7 of a World Series.

When I was 16 or 17, I had this manager that absolutely hated my guts. His team was awful, and there used to be a lot of called 3rd strikes against them. For the first month of the season, I always seemed to be assigned to a game of theirs every week (played 3 games a week). Anyway, the 4th week or so, he comes up to me and says, "are we gonna do this again?" I ask him what...his response, "you gonna call my kids out on strikes another 10 goddamn times?" So I asked him, "have you coached them to take the bats off their shoulders yet?" He starts sputtering and mf-ing me about how hard it is to coach a bunch of 7th and 8th graders. I say ok and tell him to get back to his bench.

His team is pitching first, so we line up to start the game. He had this kid who had a terrific arm starting the game...very accurate, threw in the 60's or low 70's...just an absolute stud arm. Kid winds up and next thing I know, I feel the sharp pain in the thigh area. I look at the catcher like, "you ok" wondering if he fainted or had a seizure or some shit, and the kid sold his coach out. The fucking asshole told the catcher (who was his kid) to dive on the first pitch to teach me a lesson.

I walk over to the bench like "what the hell". Cockstain just looked at me and goes, "I guess Matt missed". I ran his ass out of that game so fast, it wasn't funny. The coach was suspended the rest of the year, and he was done coaching because his kid aged out.

:lol: I think I've seen Pierzynski do that in a game but he was subtle about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I used to get $20 a game umping or refereeing for various age groups. Always had to laugh at the parents who got bent out of shape at grade school basketball games. They'd blow a gasket if I missed a travel call. If I'd called travel every time one occurred, the games never would have ended.

Here's one of my best ump/ref stories. At the time I attended my high school was a fucking football factory. That shit was taken seriously, like Texas seriously. One day after soccer practice I was watching the freshman team play in Horner Park. The coach was a goof named Bob Carskie. Of course our team was crushing the shit out of whoever they were playing. The game was coming down to the end and we were about to score again. They were down on the goal line with seconds left in the game. Carskie called a fucking timeout. The referee threw the flag before the the center even picked up the ball. Good for him.

I believe he ended up being a pretty good head coach at Weber

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
$20 a game for little league in Arlington Heights...and I used to have to deal with the fucking parents. I'd rather deal with douchebags.

Little League parents can be bad but there's nothing worse than the asshole in a coed league who is playing like he's Pete Rose in Game 7 of a World Series.

When I was 16 or 17, I had this manager that absolutely hated my guts. His team was awful, and there used to be a lot of called 3rd strikes against them. For the first month of the season, I always seemed to be assigned to a game of theirs every week (played 3 games a week). Anyway, the 4th week or so, he comes up to me and says, "are we gonna do this again?" I ask him what...his response, "you gonna call my kids out on strikes another 10 goddamn times?" So I asked him, "have you coached them to take the bats off their shoulders yet?" He starts sputtering and mf-ing me about how hard it is to coach a bunch of 7th and 8th graders. I say ok and tell him to get back to his bench.

His team is pitching first, so we line up to start the game. He had this kid who had a terrific arm starting the game...very accurate, threw in the 60's or low 70's...just an absolute stud arm. Kid winds up and next thing I know, I feel the sharp pain in the thigh area. I look at the catcher like, "you ok" wondering if he fainted or had a seizure or some shit, and the kid sold his coach out. The fucking asshole told the catcher (who was his kid) to dive on the first pitch to teach me a lesson.

I walk over to the bench like "what the hell". Cockstain just looked at me and goes, "I guess Matt missed". I ran his ass out of that game so fast, it wasn't funny. The coach was suspended the rest of the year, and he was done coaching because his kid aged out.

:lol: I think I've seen Pierzynski do that in a game but he was subtle about it.

I'm sure AJ did that several times...but that's expected at that level.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Admin

sjboyd0137 wrote:
The funny thing is that I probably had the tightest strike zone in the whole fucking league...we were supposed to call the plate, and shoulders to knees. I never called anything over the letters or the outside corner. If anything, they should have hated me for that...

I worked some games for my buddy Jerry who died. He ran all these leagues on the Northwest side, mostly girls but some coed. At one time he had guys but they were too much of a headache. Most of them sucked but they all thought they were Willie Mays and they complained and argued about everything so he got rid of the men's leagues. Anyway, he'd usually work a game on one diamond himself and me or another one of our crew would work a game on the opposite diamond. We wanted to get done quick to get out to Sportsman's Park. Jerry had it set up so all counts started 1-1. The first thing we would do is get the two pitchers and tell them, "I call a huge strikezone. You two are gonna love me but I don't want to hear any whining from your teammates. Tell them to get up there and hit the ball." We got those games finished quickly.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I used to get $20 a game umping or refereeing for various age groups. Always had to laugh at the parents who got bent out of shape at grade school basketball games. They'd blow a gasket if I missed a travel call. If I'd called travel every time one occurred, the games never would have ended.

Here's one of my best ump/ref stories. At the time I attended my high school was a fucking football factory. That shit was taken seriously, like Texas seriously. One day after soccer practice I was watching the freshman team play in Horner Park. The coach was a goof named Bob Carskie. Of course our team was crushing the shit out of whoever they were playing. The game was coming down to the end and we were about to score again. They were down on the goal line with seconds left in the game. Carskie called a fucking timeout. The referee threw the flag before the the center even picked up the ball. Good for him.

I believe he ended up being a pretty good head coach at Weber

Yeah, and I think he became a graduate assistant somewhere- maybe Wisconsin or Iowa- when he was like 40 years old. It reminded me of Colonel Kurtz applying for Special Forces when he was 38 years old. I'm sure Carskie nailed a lot of college poon though.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The funny thing is that I probably had the tightest strike zone in the whole fucking league...we were supposed to call the plate, and shoulders to knees. I never called anything over the letters or the outside corner. If anything, they should have hated me for that...

I worked some games for my buddy Jerry who died. He ran all these leagues on the Northwest side, mostly girls but some coed. At one time he had guys but they were too much of a headache. Most of them sucked but they all thought they were Willie Mays and they complained and argued about everything so he got rid of the men's leagues. Anyway, he'd usually work a game on one diamond himself and me or another one of our crew would work a game on the opposite diamond. We wanted to get done quick to get out to Sportsman's Park. Jerry had it set up so all counts started 1-1. The first thing we would do is get the two pitchers and tell them, "I call a huge strikezone. You two are gonna love me but I don't want to hear any whining from your teammates. Tell them to get up there and hit the ball." We got those games finished quickly.

I played 14 inch co-ed in a Schaumburg corporate league about 10 years ago. We started every at bat at 1-1 too. Loved it...plus, we started playing at 8, which meant 3 hours at the bar down the street before we started playing...nice and fast.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I have an argument with a buddy that youth baseball is actually a tool of Satan to make everyone involved incredibly miserable. He thinks it builds character. He's in sales.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
I have an argument with a buddy that youth baseball is actually a tool of Satan to make everyone involved incredibly miserable. He thinks it builds character. He's in sales.

I think it really depends on the parents and how they interact with each other. Left in peace the kids seem to figure it out pretty well on their own.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:
... i was asked to be in a wedding that would take place in rivera maya a handful of years back. i told him to go pound sand. ...

Good thing he was going to the beach.

:lol: :lol:
Criminal this got no laughs.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I worked some games for my buddy Jerry who died.

He died as a result of your umpiring?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I think it really depends on the parents and how they interact with each other. Left in peace the kids seem to figure it out pretty well on their own.

The thing I see is that these overbearing fathers push their kids and some of them just aren't good. But the other kids know. If my dad or my friend Scrawny's dad had been coaching our Little League team and started me and Scrawny at pitcher/shortstop and batted us 3-4 every game it wouldn't fool the other kids because they all knew Bob Dunphy was the best player on the team.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I do think parents have gotten worse. Even when I was a kid, it was just fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:45 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

I'm a touch older than you, but I remember dickish parents when I played...their kids were usually the ones that went on to start for high school squads because they had other brothers that played earlier seasons...but yeah, as a whole, I think parents have gotten worse.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He actually died fixing a diamond at Wilson Park. It was an extremely rainy Spring and he had to cancel a lot of games. He was getting concerned the girls were going to ask for their money back so he knew he had to start getting the games in. The Park District was spread too thin to get the fields in shape so he was out there doing the work himself and he had a heart attack. The only more appropriate way for him to go would have been to have the heart attack after taking the short end of a photo finish.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I'm a touch older than you, but I remember dickish parents when I played...their kids were usually the ones that went on to start for high school squads because they had other brothers that played earlier seasons...but yeah, as a whole, I think parents have gotten worse.

One of my buddies was showing me a "Parent Contract" they have to sign for his kid's baseball. It basically says that they will treat people with respect, etc. I couldn't believe it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Don Tiny wrote:
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:
... i was asked to be in a wedding that would take place in rivera maya a handful of years back. i told him to go pound sand. ...

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I was going to say Jorr sure has a lot of dead friends. I was fraid someone else said it before or I did and couldn't remember.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It is purely speculation but my feeling is the parents are different even if there were bad ones years ago. In my time bad sports parents were more about don't screw over my kid/team and take away our minor victory or local championship. Now I seem to see and hear about the parents going nuts only for their own kids and it is don't take my kids pro shot or D1 ride.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:55 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

One of my buddies was showing me a "Parent Contract" they have to sign for his kid's baseball. It basically says that they will treat people with respect, etc. I couldn't believe it.

That is insane.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
I was going to say Jorr sure has a lot of dead friends. I was fraid someone else said it before or I did and couldn't remember.

https://soundcloud.com/hehambertrings/t ... s-month-of

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Guy already called back and I got a Nazareth varsity game to ump on Wednesday. $60 mailed check and not cash, but we'll call it even.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Being a friend of JORR is like being the drummer in Spinal Tap.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
leashyourkids wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

In hockey they have this thing now called the 24 hour rule. That means that if you are upset because Bobby Jr didn't get enough ice time or whatever, you aren't allowed to talk to the coach about it until 24 hours after the game. The point being that you are supposed to take that time to cool off and think about the game before flying off the handle at the coach in the rink lobby.

So my buddy, former D1 hockey player at Notre Dame, coaches his kids team in South Bend where they, not surprisingly, don't have the same level of asshole parents floating around that we have here. After his first practice he has the start of the year meeting with the parents and asks them if they know about the 24 hour rule. Most say yes. He says that he has a different version of the rule called the Infinity Rule. He tells them that if you are upset about the game, instead of talking to the coach right away, you have to go home, think about it for 24 hours and then never bring it up or talk to the coach about it ever. Being in South Bend where they are just happy to have a real hockey coach, no one had a problem with the rule and he didn't have an issue the entire season.

Try pulling that shit here and you'd be fired before the first week was over.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:03 pm 

They have had the 24 hour rule out here for at least the last 10 years my son played sports.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
pittmike wrote:
They have had the 24 hour rule out here for at least the last 10 years my son played sports.

its not a race.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:38 pm 

My daughter is now old enough to rat me out to my wife. I got home from happy hour the other night and my daughter said "daddy smoke."

After all I do for her, what a little sellout...

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
:lol:

Blame it on her.

Who's your wife gonna believe?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
depends on what you were smoking

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
we were having our league ending tournament a few years back. for some reason one of the umps didn't show for the 1 field that had 2 games on it. we were done so they grabbed me (i've been a coach in this league for like 8 years) and asked if i could ump these two games. i said sure. i umped the 1st game with no problem. the 2nd game this 1 guy is literally freaking out at some calls. i don't know him well, but we've played in this league for years. he sits on a 3-1 count and its like back corner (no mat) and i call it a strike. he flips out. i just go, "i'm just here for fun, i'll go home and you guys can all go fk yourself and then what are you gonna do?" he kept jawing so i left.

made 60 bucks though.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:54 pm 

High school graduation weekend here. Got 2 sisternlaws and the inlaws in town. They are about to drive me fucking insane. I may kill one of them before they all leave tomorrow.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Make a big bowl of popcorn and throw #morethanmean on for them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 187  Next