It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Black Panther
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I had to bow out of seeing it with the wife and kids on Monday due to a last minute meeting.

Wife and kids loved it. The wife said there were so many strong, black female characters, that our daughter was going to have a difficult time choosing who to be on Halloween.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Loved the movie. Beautiful to watch. Awesome villains. It was on the level of the Dark Knight movies for me. I really like the guy who played Klough. He was perfectly crazy and cruel and that accent creates hate. Strong acting from everyone except maybe the CIA agent. Nyong'o really stands out. She just seems superior in her craft to everyone on the screen and there were some fantastic actors on the screen with her.

A couple of things about the big picture themes surrounding the film: I understand why a superficial viewing would find it empowering to pan Africans. However, look at the story a little closer. The sole reason Wakandans gained any advancement was a fortuitous crash site of a space rock. There is nothing in the story about the people empowering themselves. It was either the rock or panther god that made anything possible. It is not even a matter of them maximizing their resources as it is strongly hinted that the rock is controlling their development. Maybe I haven't read enough reviews but it seems to be a point that has been lost.

Secondly, this is Mary Mitchell's utopia. It is kind of a black empowerment movie. It is really a female black empowerment movie. The men of this film are largely bumbling and foolish making large and small mistakes that hurt everyone. The women are the idealized humans in this story. Perfectly strong, perfectly wise and perfectly intelligent.

I read saw it as a nod to how special the motherland is and that our creativity and ingenuity is unmatched when we maximize the use of our ability and resources. Also that even when we reach great heights that we should reach back down and pull some folks us with us. I completely agree with your thoughts about black girls/women.

yeah i think it's that mentality of..."it's not the technology that makes you. it's what you make of technology". what the Wakandans do with their specialized resource is what's remarkable. t'challa's sister is a genius with how she uses the vibranium in her little lab. if it wasn't vibranium, it'd be something else that she would harness. that's basically what i think it's trying to convey.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Loved the movie. Beautiful to watch. Awesome villains. It was on the level of the Dark Knight movies for me. I really like the guy who played Klough. He was perfectly crazy and cruel and that accent creates hate. Strong acting from everyone except maybe the CIA agent. Nyong'o really stands out. She just seems superior in her craft to everyone on the screen and there were some fantastic actors on the screen with her.

A couple of things about the big picture themes surrounding the film: I understand why a superficial viewing would find it empowering to pan Africans. However, look at the story a little closer. The sole reason Wakandans gained any advancement was a fortuitous crash site of a space rock. There is nothing in the story about the people empowering themselves. It was either the rock or panther god that made anything possible. It is not even a matter of them maximizing their resources as it is strongly hinted that the rock is controlling their development. Maybe I haven't read enough reviews but it seems to be a point that has been lost.

Secondly, this is Mary Mitchell's utopia. It is kind of a black empowerment movie. It is really a female black empowerment movie. The men of this film are largely bumbling and foolish making large and small mistakes that hurt everyone. The women are the idealized humans in this story. Perfectly strong, perfectly wise and perfectly intelligent.

I read saw it as a nod to how special the motherland is and that our creativity and ingenuity is unmatched when we maximize the use of our ability and resources. Also that even when we reach great heights that we should reach back down and pull some folks us with us. I completely agree with your thoughts about black girls/women.

yeah i think it's that mentality of..."it's not the technology that makes you. it's what you make of technology". what the Wakandans do with their specialized resource is what's remarkable. t'challa's sister is a genius with how she uses the vibranium in her little lab. if it wasn't vibranium, it'd be something else that she would harness. that's basically what i think it's trying to convey.

I don't know how that opinion meshes with the development of the mountain people , the one tribe that chose not to partake in the resource.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:27 pm 

when have mountain people been advanced?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Seems to me like another Marvel villain who "has a point" and is more interesting than the hero that they then undercut by having him kill some innocents so the audience doesn't have to think about it too hard. Not that it's something only Marvel movies do, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Seems to me like another Marvel villain who "has a point" and is more interesting than the hero that they then undercut by having him kill some innocents so the audience doesn't have to think about it too hard. Not that it's something only Marvel movies do, I guess.

see the movie before you judge it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:51 pm 

I liked it. Wasn't earth shattering great.

Michael B. Jordan stole the whole movie,imo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
KDdidit wrote:

2, 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I guess from the hype I was looking for something more.

I liked Shuri's character ... kinda like Dee from What's Happenin' ... the occasional smart ass lines (and a gesture) for the older brother that made momma put a stern look on her face momentarily.

Nothing outright wrong with it, just nothing special imo.

At the end end, was the 'White Wolf' supposed to be the guy we saw, or the guy we didn't get to see?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Don Tiny wrote:

I liked Shuri's character ... kinda like Dee from What's Happenin'

NICE......you're a man of good taste.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Don Tiny wrote:

I liked Shuri's character ... kinda like Dee from What's Happenin' ... the occasional smart ass lines (and a gesture) for the older brother that made momma put a stern look on her face momentarily.

At the end end, was the 'White Wolf' supposed to be the guy we saw, or the guy we didn't get to see?

He's the White Wolf the MCU is going with. Not the comic book storyline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

He's the White Wolf the MCU is going with. Not the comic book storyline.

Kinda figured that but didn't know for certain if they were saying that to him or saying it in anticipation of some other guy in the other hut. It makes good sense, but again, wasn't quite sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Don Tiny wrote:

My feelings exactly. When judged against other superhero movies, I'd say it grades out above average. The CGI was breathtaking in some areas but horrid in others. Most of the humor hit the right notes. Musical score was forgettable.

As a superhero movie, *** out of ****
As a movie-movie, ** out of ****

P.S., the trailer for Solo/Star Wars has me the least excited I've ever been for a SW movie. Looks dreadful.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:16 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

My feelings exactly. When judged against other superhero movies, I'd say it grades out above average. The CGI was breathtaking in some areas but horrid in others. Most of the humor hit the right notes. Musical score was forgettable.

As a superhero movie, *** out of ****
As a movie-movie, ** out of ****

P.S., the trailer for Solo/Star Wars has me the least excited I've ever been for a SW movie. Looks dreadful.

As always, you're a person of quality. That Han Solo movie gives me some insight as to how weirdos who don't give a hoot about Star Wars at all feel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:09 pm 

ABC decided to play this movie tonight in honor of Chadwick Boseman’s passing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:00 pm 

I’ve hated on this movie in the past, but it’s actually a great film.

Tho I do have to admit there is added weight to the scenes with Chadwick Boseman.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. It was a good movie.

He was a good actor. Way too young. It's sad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
i hate these superhero movies but saw this one and it's the only one i liked.

I actually wanted the half brother to win.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Great guy, feel bad he's dead, but doesn't change the fact that this was the most overrated movie of the past 10 years. It was given undue praise by the liberal media for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
W_Z wrote:
all of the overreaction to this movie is so immature and idiotic, i'm recommending people to see it just to spite the dumbass trolling.

this is just a flat out good, thoroughly entertaining Marvel movie. it's no different or less entertaining than "spiderman: homecoming" or "guardians of the galaxy" or "thor". they're all on the same level. like GOTG 2 and "homecoming", "black panther" offers a little more depth to the "villain" of the story, which i think strengthens it even more.

it has some big laughs, too. plus, it's beautiful to look at.

and to SD: yes, pretty much anyone over the age of 6 would enjoy the film. it has a nice message about spreading the wealth and helping others to make the world a better place. Wakanda is basically a paradise land with a resource that can heal, destroy, whatever your heart's desire. but it's "hidden in plain sight" so as to protect its people. in the end, it's seen as a bit selfish to preserve it that way, when they could be sharing what they do with the rest of the world.

there is plenty of action, and fighting. again, just like any other Marvel film.

it doesn't deserve the trolling, and it's a shame it has to have that stigma attached. whether critics are telling you to "be on the right side of history", or idiotic alt right morons are trying to destroy its' credibility...just go see it and enjoy it for what it is. if you're not into Marvel films, you probably won't like this one either.

:D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

I watched this for the first time tonight and disagree with your last sentence. In general I have little use for marvel or comic book movies and think the proliferation of them have dramatically and significantly hurt the original story telling in Hollywood but like dark knight I found this to just be a damn fine film on its own.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:53 am 

at the time, there seemed to be a split coming among moviegoers that started disliking or resenting the blowup of marvel films, and i thought this movie would've been caught up in that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5