It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: #BlackAF
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:23 pm 

I'm giving this show some time to find itself because I think there is something good there. It just hasn't congealed as of yet. Part of the problem is the reliance on kid actors who seem to have charisma but as of yet undefined roles.

It seems to want to be a black version of Curb Your Enthusiasm and I think Barris has the ability to cover that improv role. The hilarious part about Larry though is that he is unapologetic about who he is. He doesn't explain why is or try to change. Barris, in this show, seems stuck on justifying his character. If Krazy Ivan has taught us nothing its that explaining a joke isn't fun or funny.

I know the style isn't agreeable to everyone but I think it is both funny and great commentary in his shows when every white character is a ridiculous caricature, as was done with black roles for so many decades (does he say he is doing this on purpose?). He gets away with writing biases and stereotypes others would be cancelled out of the industry for but I really think it is great on the level of Tropic Thunder in its layered humor.

The one thing I don't like are the supposition arguments that get put out there as fact without any thought of presenting a well considered argument. The one that I caught in particular is how a girl like Malia Obama couldn't get caught doing bad things normal kids her age because she is black. Meanwhile, it doesn't take much memory to understand the Bush twins being all over the news for being fall down drunks at UT. It's dangerous writing because there are less informed people that believe everything they hear.

Anyway, Rashida Jones is the one holding this thing up before it finds its footings. She is the only really professional improv actor, maybe besides the assistant and she really stands out above all others. The writing of her character is a bit schizophrenic with her being a refined professional but also swearing like a sailor at times. Also, the time line doesn't really match up for being an ivy law student and SC clerk but starting a family young but I can overlook that.

I like it for what I think it can be. It's just OK where it currently is.