It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new series about CHUCKY
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:00 am 

pizza_Place: joes pizza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTayGZNRdg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:57 am 

it has some tonal issues, i think. there are some funny chucky moments...the most obvious coming at the "talent show" portion. the ways they keep coming up with chucky still existing is also comical but i'm not sure how self-aware it is. i mean, after over 30 years, to believe that this doll can keep getting recycled is hard to really buy.

i like the main kid, though. and it was kind of interesting to see devon sawa (who looks terrible now) play a dual role of the kid's dad and his (twin?) brother.

there's stuff about bullying, being gay, being a teenager, etc. looks like there's going to be a bond between the kid and the doll. the most interesting subplot they will dig into is the bully girl's younger sister who will probably come into play later.

it's worth a watch. dourif's voice sounds like he's aging badly. he's 71. he can't hit some of those notes he used to with the chucky voice. but don mancini, who created the whole saga, still writes him pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 am 

told you he'd make money again

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm 

seems sadistic enough. i might watch it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Watched the first episode last night. Not terrible, surprisingly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Don't we have enough Gruden threads?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:15 am 

second episode was pretty entertaining too. i guess i'm in for this. i like that chucky is like the devil on your shoulder.

i also wonder, speaking of gruden, if they're subtly intentionally making football references. like, last night's episode had chucky saying this was the "super bowl of slaughter". i'd give the writers credit for it.

the acting reminds me of the rebooted "creepshow" series, where a lot of it is amped up and heightened. like they know this is horror comedy. i wish in some cases it would be toned down a touch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:03 am 

this show has gotten a lot better in its most recent episodes. they kind of ditched the chucky as your conscience thing and turned it into a gang-of-teens-go-after-chucky storyline which works better.

there are still some pretty campy things that don't work as well as they should (now seeing an 80's charles lee ray looks more like tommy wiseau), but it has to be pretty fun for fiona to play her dad's old character and have fun with the nica reprise.

next week, we get andy back. the last 3 episodes should be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:20 pm 

Overall I liked the 1st season—can’t say overall “series” now that it’s been renewed. Now the stakes are raised whether the whole series will be good. The last episode had probably the funniest moments of anything Chucky-related. An army of Chucky’s asking what qualifies as a baby had me howling.

The good: the lead boys who fall in love, the satire of rich families being annihilated by a Mall Doll, Jennifer Tully & Fiona Dourif. And of course, Chucky is at the top of his game. Devon Sawa was also good towing that line of self-parody and playing a silly horror comedy so straight. He’s a good actor.

The bad: the tone of the show never consistently found the right note. Sometimes it was outrageously silly, sometimes it was too gory and mean-spirited to be just a light-hearted lark. The backstory also wasn’t too imaginative and relied too heavy on Fiona playing young man Charles, which was cute at first and then was leaned on too much. It got old and then it got almost irritating. I also would’ve liked to see a clear vision on the little girl that loves Chucky as a doll.

It was cool to see Andy and Kyle (from CP 2) come back. I’d like to see all of this come together in a great finale but they cannot stretch this show beyond 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:17 pm 

Started up season 2 tonight. Very solid beginning and looks like the budget is a bit bigger, tone more focused. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out, but I hope it doesn’t get padded to hell like so many shows these days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:40 am 

the show took a bit of a detour with last night's episode mostly focusing on a light parody of hollywood culture. nice "bound" reunion with gina gershon and joey pants (who looked like he didn't want to be there, actually)...and meg tilly shows up.

don mancino is gay, which he wrote into the show that had a warmth, the two leads falling in love as teens. but this episode seemed to be more politically driven, bringing back chucky's kid "glen" which is now "glen or glenda"...a split twin seed that carries non-binary pronouns. they actually explicitly talk about it. i'm sure the episode will be lauded by internet blogzines but to me it was tacky compared to the love story between the two lead characters (who were not in this episode, as it focused solely on jen tilly/tiffy's storyline).

the actor who plays both parts is extremely good, but the implications of "you deserve to die if you don't get our pronouns right" clangs with the rest of the show's nihilistic nature. we're not supposed to care about who deserves to die, because there are children that die in the show, too. so it muddles the message, and continues to point to the very obvious message that if you keep hammering this culture down people's throats, they're just going to double down on their own feelings (now known as discrimination, bigotry and phobia).

the episode did have some laughs, though.

gershon looks awful though. she was the definition of smoking hot in the 90's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
W_Z wrote:
the show took a bit of a detour with last night's episode mostly focusing on a light parody of hollywood culture. nice "bound" reunion with gina gershon and joey pants (who looked like he didn't want to be there, actually)...and meg tilly shows up.

don mancino is gay, which he wrote into the show that had a warmth, the two leads falling in love as teens. but this episode seemed to be more politically driven, bringing back chucky's kid "glen" which is now "glen or glenda"...a split twin seed that carries non-binary pronouns. they actually explicitly talk about it. i'm sure the episode will be lauded by internet blogzines but to me it was tacky compared to the love story between the two lead characters (who were not in this episode, as it focused solely on jen tilly/tiffy's storyline).

the actor who plays both parts is extremely good, but the implications of "you deserve to die if you don't get our pronouns right" clangs with the rest of the show's nihilistic nature. we're not supposed to care about who deserves to die, because there are children that die in the show, too. so it muddles the message, and continues to point to the very obvious message that if you keep hammering this culture down people's throats, they're just going to double down on their own feelings (now known as discrimination, bigotry and phobia).

the episode did have some laughs, though.

gershon looks awful though. she was the definition of smoking hot in the 90's.

I've liked the series as a whole so far. I made it about 10 minutes into last night's episode, and I noped out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:08 pm 

This episode got things back on track. Jennifer Tilly is putting on a clinic in this show.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:40 pm 

The show is ghey as shit. Ike 0 blowjobs out of $100.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:33 pm 

new season started next week. two episodes in, i don't know...it still has some laughs but it's really starting to wear thin. they keep trying to find inventive ways to re-introduce chucky but it's getting to stretch any kind of credibility...and feels like the movie "child's play 3" in how it's running out of ideas (even though i did enjoy that movie for what it was).

i do like that they keep bringing devon sawa back in different roles. now he plays the president of the US. a "transparent" president, he runs on telling the truth and full disclosure of what he does. he has 2 sons, and had a third that died. the youngest now thinks he can have his dead brother manifested as a make believe friend through the chucky doll.

the main trio find out about it and by the 2nd episode are trying to befriend the teenage boy (who also played another brat in that awful "lucky hank" show).

the kills are even more ridiculous and bloody already. i feel like this is done on purpose to "reel in" gore fans...but there are a bunch of subplots that still haven't been tapped into yet from last season. and apparently this is being split up into 2 parts. so, maybe it's the last season.

honestly, i don't think there's enough content. but i'll at least keep watching this season...