It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: United93
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Anyone planning to see this?

I think it's irresponsible film making. This film did not need to be made, and I think insults the memory of those who died on 9/11. If I had a family member on that flight, or in the WTCs, or the Pentagon, I would not want to see a graphic retelling of the way they died, accurate or not. This is Hollywood's first snuff film. Keep it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm of mixed feelings on this. I mean there have been War movies done before. Hell even Pearl Harbor was done recently. The people in Pearl Harbor have family members. But nobody made an issue over that release. I mean is there a proper waiting time for when it is OK to make the movie. I suspect its all in the eye of the beholder. I think some of those profits should go to family members however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
I'm of mixed feelings on this. I mean there have been War movies done before. Hell even Pearl Harbor was done recently. The people in Pearl Harbor have family members. But nobody made an issue over that release. I mean is there a proper waiting time for when it is OK to make the movie. I suspect its all in the eye of the beholder. I think some of those profits should go to family members however.

10% of the opening weekend's receipts are being donated to some charity involving the events of 9/11.

I think it's too soon to make a movie about specific individuals whose lives were lost. War movies, Pearl Harbor included, always have some dramatic license in them. This tries to be a work of non-fiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Where's the Tsunami movie? The model Petra hanging naked on a tree for two hours, and less than $10.00. Cheap!

What aboot the New Orleans movie? Maybe Shep Smith from Fox News can play himself standing on the I-10 overpass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:01 am 
1000 CLUB

I know but when is the proper time to make it. 10 years? 20 years? 50? Plus who decides it? I'm sensitve and I probrally won't watch it but I don't know how you decide something like that. Was it Ok to make the Gacy movie (or any of those movies on serial killers) like they did 20 years after the fact. Were there deaths any less tragic or important. I guess I'm just playing devils advocate. But in the end I guess I'm fine with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Was this a story "that had to be told"? Twice no less! There is a version running on A&E. Proof Hollywood has outserved it's purpose.

Profit over tragedy isn't anything new. More fodder for the mind. Crafting your memories for you. Go back to sleep. We think so you don't have to.

War is peace silly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:47 am 
1000 CLUB

I've read the reviews and saw Siskel & Roeper's review and they all said it was not only a great film, but VERY tastefully done without any social commentary built in on it. They said it did a great job of showing what it was like for those in the plane at the time for those people with the knowledge they had on THAT DAY, not knowing about Bin Laden, etc. I'm not going to watch it and never will, but at least it seems to have been done tastefully without any agenda. Good for them to do that on a difficult subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I certainly plan on seeing this movie and also do not believe it was made too soon at all. I understand if certain people do not wish to watch this film do to personal beliefs or opinion, but I certainly do not hope this film will be ignored with the attempt to not awaken old demons. A very good point was addressed above regarding how long a society must wait to revisit a tragic event, and I will simply add that there is no standard that needs to be followed. We as a country cannot simply refuse to view, to the best of our knowledge as outsiders to the actual horrible events that occurred on the plane, and live in denial about what our relatives and friends went through that day.

If nothing else this movie should tell the story of how good fought back against evil despite the consequences, and not a story about how Americans died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 am 

In response to the question of whether it was proper to make it at this time, I compare it more closely to something like Blackhawk Down. Here is an historical event of recent vintage that resulted in graphic death on a micro level and a loss of a sense of security for Americans on a macro level.

It is a story...you tell it.

I think the troubling part for all of us is that this is a commercial venture. Take out the profit and I think we would all say this is a story worth telling and repeating to future generations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:16 am 

I just watched it...finally.

Absolutely riveting. Brilliantly made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:05 pm 

Quote:
I just watched it...finally.

Absolutely riveting. Brilliantly made.

I saw it a few months back, and concur. Worth seeing for anyone.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?