It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:33 pm 

it makes sense that chuck would have nervous breakdowns regarding jimmy. i just wonder if there was an incident that caused it (with his current firm) or if it's just years of seeing jimmy digress that has done it. there have been scenes of jimmy's past where chuck has had to bail him out, and there isn't a lot of trust chuck has in him. even when he tries to give him the benefit of the doubt, he can't. it's definitely psychological.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:50 am 

W_Z wrote:
it makes sense that chuck would have nervous breakdowns regarding jimmy. i just wonder if there was an incident that caused it (with his current firm) or if it's just years of seeing jimmy digress that has done it. there have been scenes of jimmy's past where chuck has had to bail him out, and there isn't a lot of trust chuck has in him. even when he tries to give him the benefit of the doubt, he can't. it's definitely psychological.

The reality is that Jimmy is now bailing out Chuck. Maybe his mental illness is that, by being ill, he empowers Jimmy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:54 am 

W_Z wrote:

Yeah, but its kind of weird because the flashback scene made it seem like they hadnt spoken in years.

It's a very interesting storyline.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Yeah, but its kind of weird because the flashback scene made it seem like they hadnt spoken in years.

The flashback was supposed to be long ago. Both guys with bad wigs. Chuck flew in from ABQ to bail out Jimmy in Cicero. At some point Jimmy joined his brother out west. Maybe Chuck gave him a job as an errand boy at HHM and Jimmy went to some shitty law school at night.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
W_Z wrote:

The flashback was supposed to be long ago. Both guys with bad wigs. Chuck flew in from ABQ to bail out Jimmy in Cicero. At some point Jimmy joined his brother out west. Maybe Chuck gave him a job as an errand boy at HHM and Jimmy went to some shitty law school at night.

I know when the flashback scene was. No one could miss that terrible wig McKean had and the giant 80s cell phone.

Im just saying it seems odd that McKean would seem so worried about a guy who left the family for years. I imagine you're right that we'll find out a lot about what happened in between.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:24 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im just saying it seems odd that McKean would seem so worried about a guy who left the family for years.

My sister lives in Albuquerque. I haven't seen her in years. I'm sure she would come to Cicero to bail me out. Maybe not though. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Im just saying it seems odd that McKean would seem so worried about a guy who left the family for years.

My sister lives in Albuquerque. I haven't seen her in years. I'm sure she would come to Cicero to bail me out. Maybe not though. :lol:

:lol:

No, I get bailing him out. Im saying the fact that his psychosis seems tied to Jimmy's behavior.

Ill bet Chuck is a Mama's boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

No, I get bailing him out. Im saying the fact that his psychosis seems tied to Jimmy's behavior.

Chuck is a good brother. He wants his brother to succeed and this is the way he does it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:50 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Chuck is a good brother. He wants his brother to succeed and this is the way he does it.

Certainly a good brother. Surpisingly good given Jimmy's treatment of the family.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:47 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Funny thing is, with a criminal record like that, he would most likely never pass the Bar's Character and Fitness scrutiny even if he did gain admission to law school and pass the bar exam.

Maybe Chuck was so good he kept his record clean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 am 

Wait, dolphin were you saying Chuck is faking?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Saul went to the University of American Samoa. He was even wearing a sweatshirt with it in an earlier episode.

I think they sell them on the Better Call Saul website.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:22 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

No. It's psychosymatic with the underlying issue being that he wants a relationship with his brother and wants him to succeed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:23 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

No. It's psychosymatic with the underlying issue being that he wants a relationship with his brother and wants him to succeed

Ok, that's what I thought.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:49 am 

i was rewatching some older "x-files" episodes (seasons 5 and 6) and watched "unusual suspects" again which i hadn't seen in probably 15 years. this is why gilligan is such a good developer...everything builds from the characters first. this episode was just great. the "revenge" mike got on the cops was predictable but superbly entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Much more BreakingBadish last night than it's previously been.

Last edited by Joe Orr Road Rod on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:52 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Last night basically was a Breaking Bad episode.

I enjoyed it. I'd heard the 6th and 9th episodes are the best. To that end, it was a little underwhelming. Great performances but nothing, content-wise, that was all that unknown.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Last night's episode was the first one that really made me wish I had seen Breaking Bad because I really feel the episode was catered to BB fans. It was a real good episode and very well acted, but I'm guessing BB fans enjoyed it more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Another great great episode last night. I watched it 3 times. Learrned more about Mike last night than we did in 5 years of BB. The bar and cop scene with Mike was just fantastic.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:16 am 

Ya know what nobody is talking about? How this episode was a lot like Breaking Bad

Mike got the Walter White plan ahead superpowers.

Good episode. Even Saul's limited role was good. He was a little heart broken that Mike knew he was a con man.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:30 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ya know what nobody is talking about? How this episode was a lot like Breaking Bad

Good episode. Even Saul's limited role was good. He was a little heart broken that Mike knew he was a con man.

Saul's watch con was pretty plan-ahead as well.

Yeah.

I guess if Mike knew to how to break in the car and the guys knew he was a drunk it all makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Really liked this last episode answering some questions about Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:47 am 

I didn't watch Breaking Bad. I ask those of you who did, has Better Call Saul enhanced your knowledge of what happens in Breaking Bad or do they move along independently?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:49 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

He isn't a con man.

Saul is afraid to be thought of as a lawyer guilty people hire. You could see how deflated he was to hear that even though he had done superior work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:53 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

He isn't a con man.

Saul is afraid to be thought of as a lawyer guilty people hire. You could see how deflated he was to hear that even though he had done superior work.

He is a con man. He just happened to have passed the bar.

He was upset Mike knew he was the type of lawyer that would run the con with him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I didn't watch Breaking Bad. I ask those of you who did, has Better Call Saul enhanced your knowledge of what happens in Breaking Bad or do they move along independently?

Independently. BCS is a good show but it's nothing like Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:07 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

There are a few tidbits that we've learned.

Obviously, Mike's and Tuco's back stories.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Hockey Gay wrote:

The plot and mood aren't really the same, but the thoughtful writing and the way scenes are shot are very similar. Like a couple of other people may have mentioned, this week's show was very similar to a Breaking Bad episode. BCS is less dark than BB and much less sinister thus far.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 am 

I'm not asking if they are similar. I'm asking whether the reveals in this show shed light on the Breaking Bad story

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:55 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I'm not asking if they are similar. I'm asking whether the reveals in this show shed light on the Breaking Bad story

I answered your question.

Tuco, Mike and Saul's back stories all serve to shed some light on what their characters did in BB. That's about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 48  Next