It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Even you guys who are saying every point I have a problem with in Season 5 is wrong still think the show took a pretty substantial step down for what should be near the best season of any show.

I've never said it took a substantial step down and don't believe it did. I love Season 5.

I also think your premise of "The best season of a show is usually the last" is flawed. It was true for Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure about others. The Sopranos, Justified, Mad Men, Oz, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, and probably MANY I'm not thinking of all had their best season in the first couple seasons.
You didn't even try and use what I actually said.

The last season of a show should be near the best season. The whole point of a serialized show is to have a good end to the story. If The Wire was a book and the last 20% of it was not anywhere close to as good as the other 80% that would be a disappointment.

I haven't seen all of those shows but of the ones I have I thought the ending was in line with the quality of the best seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Even you guys who are saying every point I have a problem with in Season 5 is wrong still think the show took a pretty substantial step down for what should be near the best season of any show.

I've never said it took a substantial step down and don't believe it did. I love Season 5.

I also think your premise of "The best season of a show is usually the last" is flawed. It was true for Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure about others. The Sopranos, Justified, Mad Men, Oz, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, and probably MANY I'm not thinking of all had their best season in the first couple seasons.
You didn't even try and use what I actually said.

The last season of a show should be near the best season. The whole point of a serialized show is to have a good end to the story. If The Wire was a book and the last 20% of it was not anywhere close to as good as the other 80% that would be a disappointment.

I haven't seen all of those shows but of the ones I have I thought the ending was in line with the quality of the best seasons.

I did use what you said, and you just repeated it. :lol:

I think most critics would disagree with your last sentence. To each their own, though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 pm 

"The best season of a show is usually the last" is not the same as "should be near the best season of any show."

A noticeable drop in quality for the last season is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:17 pm 

very few shows are completely mapped out from the beginning. writers can't predict whether their show will get picked up or cancelled, so it's nearly impossible to make a conclusion when you're developing a show. the rarest exception is always "babylon 5" because j. michael straczynski had actually completely treated the entire series before it was picked up, so it followed his total vision.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
"The best season of a show is usually the last" is not the same as "should be near the best season of any show."

it's a normal thing. there's a lot of turnover the more a series gets longer in the tooth. staff writers either go on to write their own shows or go into films or something. showrunners change, executives leave, etc. it's very difficult for a show to see itself through.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Good thing The Wire didn't have one!

The other shows I listed did though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

98 to a 92 would be a noticeable drop.

Are you now arguing that Season 5 was just as good as any other season?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

98 to a 92 would be a noticeable drop.

Are you now arguing that Season 5 was just as good as any other season?

I am not. I am disagreeing with you on your definition of noticeable. I think it is slightly worse than the other four seasons in the same way Kevin Durant is slightly worse than LeBron James.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I am not. I am disagreeing with you on your definition of noticeable. I think it is slightly worse than the other four seasons in the same way Kevin Durant is slightly worse than LeBron James.
Noticeable really doesn't have a lot of analysis required. Now, go ahead and tell me it's always black and white with me.

I'll just say I disagree that Season 5 is close to as good as any of the other seasons. I think it's a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Noticeable really doesn't have a lot of analysis required. Now, go ahead and tell me it's always black and white with me.

I'll just say I disagree that Season 5 is close to as good as any of the other seasons. I think it's a big difference.

Noticeable has a definition and I don't think that definition accurately describes the differences between seasons 1-4 and season 5. Not sure how much more clear I can be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:33 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Noticeable has a definition and I don't think that definition accurately describes the differences between seasons 1-4 and season 5. Not sure how much more clear I can be.
Yeah, and it means that you can tell one is not as good as the others, which you seem to agree with.

If someone came in this thread and said "I just finished The Wire, and I noticed that Season 5 was worse than the other 4 seasons" would you tell them they are wrong?

I understand if you think I am overstating how bad Season 5 is but arguing that there isn't a noticeable difference between 1-4 and 5 seems strange.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:38 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Yeah, and it means that you can tell one is not as good as the others, which you seem to agree with.

If someone came in this thread and said "I just finished The Wire, and I noticed that Season 5 was worse than the other 4 seasons" would you tell them they are wrong?

I understand if you think I am overstating how bad Season 5 is but arguing that there isn't a noticeable difference between 1-4 and 5 seems strange.

no·tice·a·ble
ˈnōdəsəb(ə)l/Submit
adjective
easily seen or noticed; clear or apparent.
"a noticeable increase in staff motivation"
synonyms: distinct, evident, obvious, apparent, manifest, patent, plain, clear, marked, conspicuous, front-and-center, unmistakable, undeniable, pronounced, prominent, striking, arresting; More
noteworthy.
"a noticeable new phenomenon"

Since we are arguing degrees now, I don't agree that applies to the differences between seasons. Not sure what else to tell you. I think Season 5 is great and I wouldn't say the difference between it and seasons 1-4 are noteworthy, clear, apparent, or easily noticed. I think it's a very slight drop off. I think the latter seasons of Sopranos and Game of Thrones are examples of noticeable drop offs between seasons.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:08 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
It did. They can't help it that he got out. They did what they needed to do to get the current boss off the streets.
He got out because of what they did. :lol: They could have helped it by not doing multiple stupid massively illegal acts to try and get him.

They sped up his inevitable conclusion.

And he's not going back to being king either. He has no connection. He probably goes to NY or somewhere and try to buy in to the game and then he gets jail for good or murder.

Also, Hank's point is valid. The whole concept of the show was that nothing gets done. I think to put a Happy ending on it would have sucked and ruined how realistic it was overall.

Point of clarification. I do not disagree with all your criticisms. We agree on Scott and the newspaper in general.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:13 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
They didn't get Marlo though. You guys are saying they didn't even get him to stop being a kingpin.

Exactly. That showed the pointlessness of everything. They did so much work for 5 seasons and at the end of the day, nothing mattered. Valchak ended up Commish! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only people that were rewarded were the ones that shut up and went along with the status quo.
Faking murder, kidnapping, and massive fraud(I know, massive fraud by the police is no big deal) was worth it because nothing mattered and it didn't solve anything. That alternate take doesn't make me like the season either.

It's not a big deal compared to a guy who has murdered dozens of people.

If there was a murderer in your neighborhood and the cops could take him down that way, would you prefer they keep using the by the book stuff that doesn't work?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:15 pm 

Which great shows had their best season in the final one?

I know some will say Breaking Bad. I like season 4 better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

BB definitely, IMO.

I wouldn’t say The Shield but I think it absolutely nailed the finale so that counts for a lot.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm 

The last season of Oz was terrible.

Dexter, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm 

The consensus for Justified is season 2 is the best but I think the final season has a strong claim to that title as well.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
The consensus for Justified is season 2 is the best but I think the final season has a strong claim to that title as well.

It loses points for a de-mustachioed Sam Elliott.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:39 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Most don't have it as their best season but almost all great shows have it as one of the best seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
W_Z wrote:
the rarest exception is always "babylon 5" because j. michael straczynski had actually completely treated the entire series before it was picked up, so it followed his total vision.

Is that worth watching? Never attempted it.

Heard mixed things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:31 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
W_Z wrote:
the rarest exception is always "babylon 5" because j. michael straczynski had actually completely treated the entire series before it was picked up, so it followed his total vision.

Is that worth watching? Never attempted it.

Heard mixed things.

it's been a long time since i watched it. the CGI effects looked terrible, as i recall, but the storyline was pretty intriguing. it's extremely complex, like "game of thrones" in space. except without all the graphic stuff.

i would give the pilot a try. i remember there was some wooden acting in there. mid 90's sci-fi was pretty rough. although i do remember "farscape" being pretty good too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Most don't have it as their best season but almost all great shows have it as one of the best seasons.

I havent found that to be true in the shows I've watched.

Its hard to have a great last season in a show where great characters die off.

Gus Fring
Liv Soprano
Ned Stark and 50% of the GOT cast
Shane and 50% of TWD cast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Gus Fring
Liv Soprano
The killing off of great characters is a relatively new thing, and if done with no plan for the ultimate ending that is a problem.

I can't think of many shows I loved that I didn't really enjoy the final season of outside of shows with strange circumstances like Scrubs which was actually a spin off they made into the last season of the normal show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Gus Fring
Liv Soprano
The killing off of great characters is a relatively new thing, and if done with no plan for the ultimate ending that is a problem.

I can't think of many shows I loved that I didn't really enjoy the final season of outside of shows with strange circumstances like Scrubs which was actually a spin off they made into the last season of the normal show.

Yea, we have different expectations.

Luckily some asshole told me Season 5 was terrible before I got there, so my expectations were even lower.

So, honestly, this whole thing is your fault.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 am 

Don't get me wrong. The last season of The Wire was good enough to exist and it was nice to get some final closure on some of the other characters. I just think if they had a do-over they could make it as high quality as the other 4 seasons. I think the big problem was that the newspaper guy wanted to do a show about newspapers and forced much of the storyline to make them relevant in a show that was always about the police and the criminals. It would be like if Breaking Bad decided to make the last season about the high cost of healthcare.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don't get me wrong. The last season of The Wire was good enough to exist and it was nice to get some final closure on some of the other characters. I just think if they had a do-over they could make it as high quality as the other 4 seasons. I think the big problem was that the newspaper guy wanted to do a show about newspapers and forced much of the storyline to make them relevant in a show that was always about the police and the criminals. It would be like if Breaking Bad decided to make the last season about the high cost of healthcare.

It was too late. Newspapers were dying. If he does that season in 98 or 88 it's a rousing success.

I read they were thinking about Immigration as the topic for season 6. That would have been interesting but out of Simon's expertise unless Im mistaken.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It was too late. Newspapers were dying. If he does that season in 98 or 88 it's a rousing success.

I read they were thinking about Immigration as the topic for season 6. That would have been interesting but out of Simon's expertise unless Im mistaken.
The natural ending to the show would have been an emphasis on the international parts of the drug trade along with a better emphasis on the political corruption that goes all the way to Washington.

But hey, a reporter who made up fake quotes was cool too and not noticeably worse than the rest of the series!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:53 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The natural ending to the show would have been an emphasis on the international parts of the drug trade along with a better emphasis on the political corruption that goes all the way to Washington.

But hey, a reporter who made up fake quotes was cool too and not noticeably worse than the rest of the series!

Dont swim back into unreasonable waters. We all agree season 5 is the weakest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Dont swim back into unreasonable waters. We all agree season 5 is the weakest.
I was playing off FarveFan who claims there is no noticeable difference between Season 5 and Seasons 1-4.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next