It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winning Time-HBO Max
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
One of the main messages of Winning Time already seems clear:

Cooke's exploitation of black talent to further enrich himself was unacceptable because he was an overt racist and misogynist; in contrast, Buss' exploitation of black talent to further enrich himself was laudable because he subscribed to a hipster ethos that valued inclusivity (even as it objectified women and reified black identity).

In this regard, the show perfectly illustrates the behavioral rather than structural nature of the identity politics social critique and begins to suggest how it functions as a catalyst for the relegitimization rather than delegitimization of neoliberalism, the single global force of exploitation currently in existence.

:lol: Awesome. I think it does do all that, though probably not on purpose. I doubt anyone else who has watched this thing has given it such deep thought. Most of us are just hoping for more tit shots from Buss's girlfriend(s).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Cooke's exploitation of black talent to further enrich himself was unacceptable because he was an overt racist and misogynist; in contrast, Buss' exploitation of black talent to further enrich himself was laudable because he subscribed to a hipster ethos that valued inclusivity (even as it objectified women and reified black identity).

In this regard, the show perfectly illustrates the behavioral rather than structural nature of the identity politics social critique and begins to suggest how it functions as a catalyst for the relegitimization rather than delegitimization of neoliberalism, the single global force of exploitation currently in existence.

:lol: Awesome. I think it does do all that, though probably not on purpose. I doubt anyone else who has watched this thing has given it such deep thought. Most of us are just hoping for more tit shots from Buss's girlfriend(s).

I think you are correct in saying the show's function as an identity politics allegory isn't intentional; but the fact that it does this unintentionally signifies the hegemony of neoliberal identity politics within our current political discourse. It is the lingua franca of the PMC and therefore the political unconscious of cultural artifacts produced through the mechanisms of corporate capitalism.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Well, in fairness, it's basketball. 90% are black back then. Less now because of the European influence in the NBA. But still the majority. So, yeah, black guys are gonna make them rich. Cuz that's who played back then. So he had to rely on black players. No choice.

But to your point, Buss, Cooke and all the owners were absolutely racist and sexist back then. I didn't need this show to point out that this was the case in the 1980s. It's still the case today. Except owners can't act that way in this day an age cuz of law suits.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:09 am 

Beardown wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Well, in fairness, it's basketball. 90% are black back then. Less now because of the European influence in the NBA. But still the majority. So, yeah, black guys are gonna make them rich. Cuz that's who played back then. So he had to rely on black players. No choice.

But to your point, Buss, Cooke and all the owners were absolutely racist and sexist back then. I didn't need this show to point out that this was the case in the 1980s. It's still the case today. Except owners can't act that way in this day an age cuz of law suits.

I think it's incorrect to paint them as racist. They were classist. Owner class and worker class. This industry just happened to be majority minority but I'm sure he looked at reporters the same way in his media companies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:15 am 

I'm enjoying this show. I don't think it reflects reality but it is a fun version of a truth. Nobody should be taking it as history or even a majority view of truth. The narrative of Jerry Buss' early life they are trying to sell seems to be entirely created by the writer. Larry Bird as some clean cut midwestern boy sellable to the general (white) public is laughable for any of us who lived through that time.

John C. Reilly seems born to play early 70s swinging types. It didn't seem to matter if you were good looking or in shape back in those days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:38 am 

Were they implying something at the very beginning of the first episode when Magic received his AIDS diagnosis and the other man in the car with him was crying?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: John's
I'm enjoying this. John C Reilly is fantastic, as always.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Claire Rothman isn't beautiful, but could be a freak.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:57 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

She is played by the little girl from A Field of Dreams. I think she has grown up into one of those people who uses her urine as deoderent and has pubic hair from the ankles to the belly button

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:58 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

She is played by the little girl from A Field of Dreams. I think she has grown up into one of those people who uses her urine as deoderent and has pubic hair from the ankles to the belly button

:lol: She was also the Caller Bob in Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Doc Graham should've let her die and chose baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Were they implying something at the very beginning of the first episode when Magic received his AIDS diagnosis and the other man in the car with him was crying?

No. I don't think they were implying anything with that scene. I think that was just his driver and/or friend. I don't know who he was. Maybe you're right, though.

But I do think Magic is gay. Or at least bi sexual. I think he got the AIDS from banging a guy. I also think Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas banged each other a few times. When they played each other, they would always kiss each other on the cheek before tip off. Let's just be honest, that just not normal behavior for pro athletes. You never saw that before they did it. And you haven't seen it since.

I'm enjoying the show. I'm sure a lot of this is Hollywood bullshit to make the show have some drama. But there is probably some truth to it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
2nd ep was a bit of a letdown.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Observer wrote:
2nd ep was a bit of a letdown.

A little bit.

It's gonna be interesting to see these actors actually play basketball. Most actors suck at sports. So we'll see if they can do some good editing to make them look like pro players.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Episode 2 was fucking boring. The whole Cookie subplot is tedious as hell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:

I don't even think it's true. The Cookie deal. I mean she was with him as a kid when he was poor. And now, when he's about to be rich and famous, she's thinking of dumping him? Get the hell out of Michigan and live a high class life in L.A. Really? And he has to beg to keep her when he can have anyone at this point in his life. That doesn't sound like it's true.

Last edited by Beardown on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Beardown wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I don't even think it's true. The Cookie deal. I mean she was with him as a kid when he was poor. And now when he's about to be rich and famous, she's thinking of dumping him? Really? And he has to beg to keep her when he can have anyone at this point in his life. That doesn't sound like it's true.

Well in real life Cookie had to know Magic was maybe the biggest whore in L.A. at that time. Seems like she was ok with it. Cha Ching!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Observer wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I don't even think it's true. The Cookie deal. I mean she was with him as a kid when he was poor. And now when he's about to be rich and famous, she's thinking of dumping him? Really? And he has to beg to keep her when he can have anyone at this point in his life. That doesn't sound like it's true.

Well in real life Cookie had to know Magic was maybe the biggest whore in L.A. at that time. Seems like she was ok with it. Cha Ching!

Well, yeah. She came to that point, obviously. But this part of the show is before he got drafted and was banging everything in L.A - Guys and girls. That's why I don't believe it. She had a winning lottery ticket and didn't want to cash it in according to this show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:17 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Every time I see Magic’s father I’m reminded of the Robert Downey Jr. character in Tropic Thunder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:54 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
John C. Reilly seems born to play early 70s swinging types. It didn't seem to matter if you were good looking or in shape back in those days.

:lol: A friend of mine always says, "The 70s were a great time for ugly dudes."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:

Yeah. And it's pretty silly that the number one pick in the NBA draft has his chest out over dunking on a shoe salesman. That's like a half-step above Kofi dominating kids in his commercial.

If you're the number one pick in the draft and you have to work that hard to beat out the manager at Foot Locker for the girl, maybe you need to work on yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Beardown wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I don't even think it's true. The Cookie deal. I mean she was with him as a kid when he was poor. And now, when he's about to be rich and famous, she's thinking of dumping him? Get the hell out of Michigan and live a high class life in L.A. Really? And he has to beg to keep her when he can have anyone at this point in his life. That doesn't sound like it's true.

The only thing that's true is that Jerry West is a drunken lunatic with the IQ of a turnip. The rest is all factual.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

The only thing that's true is that Jerry West is a drunken lunatic with the IQ of a turnip. The rest is all factual.

By the end of Winning Time we will discover that Dr. Naismith stole his idea from the son of a former slave. Basketball was a beautiful African tradition until it was colonized and corrupted.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

West has to be one of the most pivotal person's in the history of the league. He may be dumb but he sure seems to know basketball.

I haven't looked at any background on the source material. It seems like a story told from the Buss's perspective. I assume we'll get an idealized version of Jeannie Buss.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:48 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

:lol: A friend of mine always says, "The 70s were a great time for ugly dudes."

I got stuck with the AIDS scare 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:53 am 

Beardown wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No. I don't think they were implying anything with that scene. I think that was just his driver and/or friend. I don't know who he was. Maybe you're right, though.

But I do think Magic is gay. Or at least bi sexual. I think he got the AIDS from banging a guy. I also think Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas banged each other a few times. When they played each other, they would always kiss each other on the cheek before tip off. Let's just be honest, that just not normal behavior for pro athletes. You never saw that before they did it. And you haven't seen it since.

I'm enjoying the show. I'm sure a lot of this is Hollywood bullshit to make the show have some drama. But there is probably some truth to it.

I read excerpts from a book about the Lakers (might have even been the basis for this show). Magic liked to host orgy type parties. He wouldn't participate himself but spent his time as a host going from room to room watching his guy friends have sex.

I think the parts about Cookie are actually reality. They seemed to have a devoted relationship with him being the pursuer. He wasn't exclusive but she was someone he HAD to have in his life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Tall Midget wrote:

it kinda was and kinda is. I really want to like this show but not a good sign that already at episode 2 we've hit some filler.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:38 pm 

It was nice of Red to teach Dr Buss about winning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:00 am 

Episode 3 was better..still not buying Adrian Brody as Pat Riley.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:31 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Episode 3 was better..still not buying Adrian Brody as Pat Riley.

It's all ridiculous, but it's still pretty damn entertaining.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next