It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winning Time-HBO Max
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Nardi wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Episode 3 was better..still not buying Adrian Brody as Pat Riley.

It's all ridiculous, but it's still pretty damn entertaining.

I can't wait to see Jason Segel as Paul Westhead.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Are we supposed to believe Magic caught HIV from eating pussy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Forget it, they're rollin'.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Is this even worth watching? I heard most of it is fake and made up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If that's what they're showing, I assume it's either because they are afraid of being sued by Magic, or they don't want to offend certain groups.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:20 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Is this even worth watching? I heard most of it is fake and made up.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure Magic has/had AIDS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:23 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If that's what they're showing, I assume it's either because they are afraid of being sued by Magic, or they don't want to offend certain groups.

There was regular fucking too

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Plus, Magic Johnson's son is gay so it runs in the family lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Ep3 was pretty good. I see now there is a storm of controversy on the internet about Jerry West being a a-hole or not as portrayed by the show.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:27 pm 

I don't know if Dr. Buss fingered banged his date in the Mexican restaurant while his wife was there, but it be pretty cool if he did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

This week we learned that Hall of Famer Pat Riley was a LOSER. Despite being slow, tiny, and white he averaged 22 a game for the best college team in the country and if they had played Texas Western 100 times, Riley's team would have won around 80.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
This week we learned that Hall of Famer Pat Riley was a LOSER. Despite being slow, tiny, and white he averaged 22 a game for the best college team in the country and if they had played Texas Western 100 times, Riley's team would have won around 80.

Much of this stuff isn't necessary. I'm starting to feel for the real people. Over the top is fine if it's good natured. This isn't that a lot of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Much of this stuff isn't necessary. I'm starting to feel for the real people. Over the top is fine if it's good natured. This isn't that a lot of the time.

Not to mention it's just phony and it promotes a form of racism for younger people who don't know any better. That is, McKay is gonna virtue signal about the glory of the first all-black starting lineup to win an NCAA championship by denigrating a team that was actually a lot better than they were.

Louie Dampier was a star in the NBA and Riley had a decent career as a bench guy. I don't think anyone on that Texas Western team had a real NBA career. Maybe that Cattin guy played a year or two. Willie Cager is a great name for a basketball player though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
it does annoy me that the show takes real life people and fictionalizes a lot of what happened, but let's get real about Dampier and Riley. First, they've nailed what Riley looked like in 1979. Droopy moustache and long hair. Secondly, he was not a good NBA player. Third. Dampier WAS a star but in the ABA. Good shooter, but at 6' he would have struggled to be good at the NBA level. By the time he got in with the Spurs he was done. Riley WAS a loser at this point. And yes, Kentucky was better than UTEP but Kentucky only played white guys, so I don't know how good their accomplishment really was.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
City of Fools wrote:
it does annoy me that the show takes real life people and fictionalizes a lot of what happened, but let's get real about Dampier and Riley. First, they've nailed what Riley looked like in 1979. Droopy moustache and long hair. Secondly, he was not a good NBA player. Third. Dampier WAS a star but in the ABA. Good shooter, but at 6' he would have struggled to be good at the NBA level. By the time he got in with the Spurs he was done. Riley WAS a loser at this point. And yes, Kentucky was better than UTEP but Kentucky only played white guys, so I don't know how good their accomplishment really was.

Pat Riley was a standout college basketball player (SEC Player of the Year, SEC First Team, NCAA All-Tournament, Third Team All-America, etc), was a first round NBA draft pick, had a nine-year NBA playing career in which he averaged 7.6 pts/game as a reserve player, and was the Lakers color analyst from 1977 to 1979 before becoming an assistant coach with the team.

This is a loser to you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:08 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Pat Riley was a standout college basketball player (SEC Player of the Year, SEC First Team, NCAA All-Tournament, Third Team All-America, etc), was a first round NBA draft pick, had a nine-year NBA playing career in which he averaged 7.6 pts/game as a reserve player, and was the Lakers color analyst from 1977 to 1979 before becoming an assistant coach with the team.

This is a loser to you?

:lol: That is CoF for ya. If he says it, you can pretty much nail it down as wrong.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:47 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

This is a loser to you?

Assistant announcer, said loser Riley. And he damn near had to blow Chick Hearn to get that loser job.

Like I said, much of this is unnecessary. What purpose does it serve to rewrite history in a denigrating way? What kind of loser wants to shit all over Showtime?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Tall Midget wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

This is a loser to you?

First, as I already stated, this show dramatizes stuff beyond what it was. Jerry West is the prime example.

I grew up with mid-80's basketball. I trace my knowledge of pre 80's basketball to Zander Hollander's well edited books which were put out out starting in the 70's. Each team member of each team in the NBA and ABA had blurbs written about them by the local beat writers. The last two years of his career, his blurbs read like the guy was viewed as a loser.

Let's not forget that Buss tried to bring West back to "help" Riley coach when he made him head coach. The guy changed himself around as he went, but he was not well regarded as a professional basketball player his last two years. And his picture from both those last years shows a guy with a thousand yard stare, droopy mustache (by cracky) and a head of untamed long hair. Looks like...a loser.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:38 pm 

Outside of the grizzly mustache, Riley never looked like the character Brody is playing. And that’s a Jewish nose on Brody not an I-Talion nose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:19 am 

Who knew Jack Mckinney was also a fan of the "Idaho Stop"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:24 am 
Site Admin

In this week's episode we learn that Kareem was a miserable prick who considered the Magic act nothing but minstrelsy until his imam informed him that basketball was his gift from Allah and he should shut up and dribble.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:00 pm 

Bike mishap is the best scene to date.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I'm enjoying the show, but is anyone shown in a remotely flattering light? I just watched Buss finger a woman in a restaurant, in front of his daughter. Seems like everyone would likely be pissed at their portrayal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:41 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I'm enjoying the show, but is anyone shown in a remotely flattering light? I just watched Buss finger a woman in a restaurant, in front of his daughter. Seems like everyone would likely be pissed at their portrayal.

Claire, maybe. If there is an actual Claire.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:43 pm 

Also Spencer Hawywood, who cut up his own dick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:

The guy took a tumble off his ten speed like I've done countless times yet there was more blood than at a Manson murder scene.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:54 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

The guy took a tumble off his ten speed like I've done countless times yet there was more blood than at a Manson murder scene.

I laughed. He slid like 10 ft. Hey, look at Evel Knievel over here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Last 2 episodes sucked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

Jaw Breaker wrote:

Dr. Buss comes off well. Sure, he went berserk because a bar door was slightly misaligned but that was only to show that if you want to run something as great as the Winning Time Lakers every detail counts. From the big stuff like making sure Lew Alcindor has a proper prayer rug all the way down to trimming Paula Abdul's tiniest pubic hair so it doesn't land in Jack Nicholson's beer during the dance with Bugs Bunny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:23 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Dr. Buss comes off well. Sure, he went berserk because a bar door was slightly misaligned but that was only to show that if you want to run something as great as the Winning Time Lakers every detail counts. From the big stuff like making sure Lew Alcindor has a proper prayer rug all the way down to trimming Paula Abdul's tiniest pubic hair so it doesn't land in Jack Nicholson's beer during the dance with Bugs Bunny.

What a beautiful post. I read it 4 times and I'll come back tomorrow and read it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next