It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Totally agree with your Dark Tower comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
The creativity is there, but my biggest disappointment is that due to the popularity and length of the show, many of the situations where creative writing should take place do not have the same impact. I knew since the beginning of the season that Michael was re-cast and that he was to appear near the end of the season. If they could have kept that secretive, that would have been a huge bombshell. Also, I knew that Jin wasn't going to last long as he has been busy with other engagements, so they have essentially had to write him out of most of the past episodes.

This show would make a very good novel at a length close to the Stephen King Dark Tower series. While you would lose some of the excitement and action brought about by the audio and visual effects (the plane breaking apart, the sound of the monster, etc.), the twist and turns would be very enjoyable and keep one interested throughout.

This is the very reason I try not to read the conspiracy websites or get inside scoops on shows that I enjoy. You can pretty much ruin any chance of enjoying a show by finding out who's contract wasn't renewed or who signed on to appear later in the season.

I know it's close to impossible to stay completely in the dark about some of these things as they are reported constantly by the media. But it seems strange to me that people complain about not being suprised by plot twists when they knowingly seek out info on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
The plot twists and some creative writing are fine. I just don't appreciate the deliberately deceptive editing. It's a cheap effect to try to achieve some sort of dramatic tension in an otherwise bland episode.

This episode had two basic objectives:
-Reveal Sun as a "survivor"
-Reveal Michael as the "spy"

That's all they had to accomplish, but had fill the whole hour, so they resorted to cheap theatrics in order to try to keep the show interesting.

I feel cheated.

I also need to get over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

So Jin's storyline was a flashBACK, and Sun's was a flashFORWARD.

Bummer about Jin - but some of the faves have to bite the bucket or kick the bullet.

So who are the Oceanic 6?

Kate
Jack
Hurley
Sayed
Sun

...I guess we won't know if the baby would be considered a passenger

...and Ben wasn't on the plane.

So there's one more survivor remaining to be revealed?

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:03 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I doubt Jin is really dead. I think that's them messing with us again.

The "six" all claimed that the other passengers were all dead so they have to have gravestones, funerals, etc. for each of them. The date on the tombstone was the date of the crash. I would not be surprised at all if he were still alive.

I agree that they want you to think the kid is one of the six but I suspect he isn't. Maybe he came with Ben and Juliet, who I think is also in the "future".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I doubt Jin is really dead. I think that's them messing with us again.

The "six" all claimed that the other passengers were all dead so they have to have gravestones, funerals, etc. for each of them. The date on the tombstone was the date of the crash. I would not be surprised at all if he were still alive.

I agree that they want you to think the kid is one of the six but I suspect he isn't. Maybe he came with Ben and Juliet, who I think is also in the "future".

Beyond Juliet and her lovely swaying breasts, I can't think of anybody else from the flight that I want to live. Desmond wasn't on the flight, and I hope he survives - I like his character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:18 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Creative writing snobs!

I thought it was pretty good. They hardly have ever told a straight narrative. The nature of the flashbacks and now the flashforwards has always been to f**k with your head.

The best episode, still, that I have ever seen of the show was the 3rd or 4th episode with the Locke flashback and you learn he was in a wheelchair.

They've been doing this from the beginning and will to the end I expect. You guys think too much. Just look at the pretty women and the nice ocean scenes and nod your heads silently.

Let me ponder that...

All in all, it's dumbed itself down from what was once pretty clever and inventive is now predictable and convoluted.

What also gets me down is the fact that they're so involved with making things so wild that they're missing out on character development--in fact the only development I see now in the characters is them developing into caricatures. You can pretty much break them down into one word descriptions:

Locke - headshake...

Hurley - Dude...

(the deceased) Charlie - Claaiihh...

Claire - baby...

Jack - "Kate!..."

Sawyer - ..."freckles..."

Jin & Sun - something korean...followed by something in english

Desmond - brohthah...

Ben - kevin spaceyish response

Sayid - nothing...

Hmmm...word association "Lost" style...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:51 pm 

Killer V wrote:
The plot twists and some creative writing are fine. I just don't appreciate the deliberately deceptive editing. It's a cheap effect to try to achieve some sort of dramatic tension in an otherwise bland episode.

This episode had two basic objectives:
-Reveal Sun as a "survivor"
-Reveal Michael as the "spy"

That's all they had to accomplish, but had fill the whole hour, so they resorted to cheap theatrics in order to try to keep the show interesting.

I feel cheated.

I also need to get over it.

An episode of lost never has two basic objectives. It's not how the show is structured.

The basic objective for each show is to provide clues to the questions that surround the show.

Last night provided a number of clues:

-Michael was the spy

-Sun is one of the Oceanic 6

-Regina is introduced (then kills herself, but she may not be dead. Perhaps she has the same power as Mikal to come back from the dead?)

-Charles Widmore is the confirmed owner of the freighter

-The black box from Oceanic 815 is on the freighter

-The captain tells them it was staged crash by Ben and Ben is responsible for bringing them to the island (this is a huge plot twist.)

-Jin appears to be dead (tombstone says 9/22/2004. That's the same date Flight 815 crashed on the island, so maybe he's not dead after all.)

-Sun's nurse says she had a girl

-Jin visits Sun's room in a flashforward (alive) and says he has only been married for two months. The guard says Sun had a boy.

I could do this for every episode. It is a giant mind boggling puzzle. Each episode is a piece of the puzzle that hopefully will come together the end of the final season, season six.

The writers don't make this stuff up each season. It has been planned from episode 1 to go 6 seasons with each episode bring us closer to the truth, while opening up more doors all at the same time. What more could you want from a T.V. show?

FYI - The Dark Towers lost it's momentum after King had his accident. He had some kind of re-birth and his writing around that time reflected it. I couldn't get past his need to include himself in the main plot of the Dark Tower. The first three books where by far the best in my opinion.

Last edited by Juiced on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:04 pm 

Quote:
What also gets me down is the fact that they're so involved with making things so wild that they're missing out on character development

This season is all about how they get off the Island.

Next will be how they get back on the Island.

The final season will be what they do when they get back and why they needed to get back.

This season we learned that Locke is again losing his way AND is a murderer. He is struggling in a leadership roll and can't seem to outwit Ben again.

Ben's character has shifted from "the others" leader to someone of great wealth and power on and off the island. Sayid is helping Ben in the a flashforward. That in itself brings up numerous questions of Ben's character.

I can go on and on with each character, but i'm tired and you probably will just come back with some silly comment because you don't understand the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Juiced wrote:

-Jin visits Sun's room in a flashforward (alive) and says he has only been married for two months. The guard says Sun had a boy.

Is that the REAL Black Box, or is that what they want to recover from the island? I think it's the bogus black box from the bogus plane.

Sun had a girl.

Jin never visited Sun's room. He was dropping off a gift for his boss - and that person that got the gift had a boy - not Sun. This could have been a flashback before he left on Oceanic 815. Right? Then to confuse matters, the same guy that walked by Sun's room in the suit, was the same guy guarding the broad that had the boy. So that confuses the hell out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Beef Rockmore wrote:
Juiced wrote:

Is that the REAL Black Box, or is that what they want to recover from the island? I think it's the bogus black box from the bogus plane.

Sun had a girl.

Jin never visited Sun's room. He was dropping off a gift for his boss - and that person that got the gift had a boy - not Sun. This could have been a flashback before he left on Oceanic 815. Right? Then to confuse matters, the same guy that walked by Sun's room in the suit, was the same guy guarding the broad that had the boy. So that confuses the hell out of me.

Jin was a flashback and Sun was a flashforward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:38 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Last night provided a number of clues:

-Michael was the spy

-Sun is one of the Oceanic 6

I said that.

Juiced wrote:
-Regina is introduced (then kills herself, but she may not be dead. Perhaps she has the same power as Mikal to come back from the dead?)

Um, OK.

Juiced wrote:

Found that out last week.

Juiced wrote:

No, it was the fake black box from the fake Oceanic crash.

Juiced wrote:
-The captain tells them it was staged crash by Ben and Ben is responsible for bringing them to the island (this is a huge plot twist.)

No again. The captain simply said that there was a staged crash. Not that Ben staged it and not that Ben brought them to the island.

Juiced wrote:
-Jin appears to be dead (tombstone says 9/22/2004. That's the same date Flight 815 crashed on the island, so maybe he's not dead after all.)

This means nothing. Like Doc said, it's most likely Jin's alive and the tombstone was part of the whole cover up. Or, he's really dead. Either way, not a major plot development.

Juiced wrote:

Did you watch the episode? Sun's was a flashFORWARD, Jin's was a flashBACK.

Juiced wrote:
The writers don't make this stuff up each season. It has been planned from episode 1 to go 6 seasons with each episode bring us closer to the truth, while opening up more doors all at the same time. What more could you want from a T.V. show?

It wasn't planned to go 6 seasons from episode 1. The producers and ABC only reached the agreement for the end date last year.

I think the most important information to be garnered here is that we both need to not take it so seriously...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 pm 

Beef Rockmore wrote:
Juiced wrote:

Sun had a girl.

-I don't think that is the real black box.

-Jin was visiting Sun's room. He says, I have a gift for Mr.Paek's daughter. Then he says, "can I ask what it is?" The guard tells him she had a boy and then Jin took the blue ribbon from the waiting room and but it on the Panda.

My theory is Jin was caught in the time warp when they where leaving the Island (like what happened to Desmond). He was mind jumping from one time period back to the present, when the present time Jin was killed protecting Sun so she could escape the Island. If his body was killed while his mind was jumping to another time, then he would still be alive in the past/future body. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:44 pm 

Quote:
I think the most important information to be garnered here is that we both need to not take it so seriously...

That we can agree on... Brother! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 pm 

Juiced wrote:

Quote:
"No again. The captain simply said that there was a staged crash. Not that Ben staged it and not that Ben brought them to the island."

The captain says they are looking for Ben because they believe he staged the crash.

Doesn't matter, I am just glad I have somewhere to dump my random Lost thoughts.

Last edited by Juiced on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:28 am 

Juiced, you're a writer's wet dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am 

I think my overall problem is that my wife and I got very much into the whole story throughout the first two seasons. We followed the clues, checked fan sites, analyzed every potential hint, etc.

Then we realized that it was way too much like work. Now we pretty much watch the show and let stand as is. Whatever we might miss, we miss.

I fear the writers have built up the hype to such a point where any conclusion will be a let-down. They've stirred up so much shit that their conclusion will most likely defy logic (as the show has begun to do already with the (consciousness time travel). It's like a mystery novel that gets solved with some information that the reader couldn't possibly have figured out on their own.

I fear we're in for a disappointment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am 

Killer V wrote:

I fear the writers have built up the hype to such a point where any conclusion will be a let-down.

Watch for this song...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:10 am 

Well, I was disappointed with the episode on Wednesday. The introduction of Michael and his backstory I am sure is meant to start a new thread of story line and therefore may seem slow as things are started up. The fake bomb was a good scene. After all the hype of someone dying, I just didnt care that they killed the two near the end. I was hoping for something else. Guess we have to wait a month for more of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:46 am 

As much of a blockbuster as the 3/20 episode was, this week's episode seemed not as cool. It was interesting to find out what Michael's been up to, but the new doors opening of the island not letting you die adds a whole new dimension. We've learned the following through the first half of the season:

1. The Oceanic Six are: Jack, Kate (and son), Sayid, Jin, Sun, and Hurley.

2. Hurley regrets going with Locke to the bunker.

3. Locke apparently has met Jacob, and while Hurley remembers later where the cabin is, Locke doesn't.

4. Sun has her baby in Korea, by this time Jin is dead, who apparently works for some automotive chain and is back involved in shady business dealings.

5. Hurley is seeing the ghost of Charlie.

6. Jack has returned to being a doctor, and vouches for Kate despite it being a lie. He wants to be with Kate, but won't because he can't confront her fathering Sawyer's son.

7. Sayid becomes and assassin and works for Ben Linus.

8. The island's powers are expanded to curing cancer, and more importantly causing lapses in time within people's minds.

9. Desmond and Daniel have an idea of how to control time warping using a method involving "constants."

10. There are people on the boat that are innocent, some of which may or may not be on the island.

11. Ben has Michael as a spy on Whitmore's boat.

12. Whitmore wants control of the island, and is bent on killing everybody on it in order to keep it his. He apparently fails to do this, based on the escape of the six.

13. Penny is still very much looking for Desmond.

Add more if I've forgotten stuff.

A warrior is not afraid to bloody his sword.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:56 pm 

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:
1. The Oceanic Six are: Jack, Kate (and son), Sayid, Jin, Sun, and Hurley.

4. Sun has her baby in Korea, by this time Jin is dead, who apparently works for some automotive chain and is back involved in shady business dealings.

6. Jack has returned to being a doctor, and vouches for Kate despite it being a lie. He wants to be with Kate, but won't because he can't confront her fathering Sawyer's son.

Add more if I've forgotten stuff.

The Oceanic Six are: Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sun, Hurley and AARON Claire's son on the island.

Jin is not one of the Oceanic Six. In that episode, Sun was the flash forward and Jin was the flashBACK.

Jack wants to be with Kate but won't because seeing Aaron, Claire's son, may be too painful of a reminder of what sacrifices they had to make to get off of the island.

Host of Chicago Bears Review
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:42 am 
1000 CLUB

I'm not buying that OCEANIC SIX as the baby wasn't alive on the flight.

They're just manipulating our thoughts...

This is interesting though:

http://timelooptheory.com.nyud.net//index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:55 am 

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:

Your right gridiron, the Jin and Sun's baby is not one of the six. Aaron, claire's baby, is. Also, thanks for the link, interesting stuff on that theory.

Im just thinking, what would be the moment in your life you could be transported back to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:53 am 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

Your right gridiron, the Jin and Sun's baby is not one of the six. Aaron, claire's baby, is. Also, thanks for the link, interesting stuff on that theory.

Im just thinking, what would be the moment in your life you could be transported back to...

I think Grid WAS referring to Aaron, Claire's baby, not being one of the six and I'm inclined to agree. However, even though he wasn't a ticket-buying passenger on the plane, Aaron still was a survivor of the crash, so maybe he is one of the six.

Waffle waffle waffle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:11 pm 

Actually, the directors confirmed the list in their last podcast (god im a geek).

Here was a summary of the podcast:

*Oceanic Six are Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Sun, and Aaron.

*Tom (Mr. Friendly) is indeed gay.

*Desmond/Minkowski "side effects" may indeed be the "Sickness" that Rouseau refers to... (they hint at it very strongly)

*The Swan Hatch implosion will probably not be revisited. However, we have not seen the last of the "purple sky" this season.

*They explain the appearance of certain paranormal events and what they are....
Ben's mother=apparition
Sawyer's Boar=animal
Spider=monster
Hurley bird=no comment
Dave=apparation/imagination
Yemi=Monster
Kate's horse=undead
Mikail' Cat Nadia=animal
Walt=some have been apparition, some have been monster
Boone in Locke's dream=dream

*Is Aaron in danger since he is being "Raised by Another"? The psychic told Claire that she must raise the baby herself. They leave it up to the viewers if you believe if the psychic is real or not.

*Significance of name Kevin Johnson.....the Others chose the most innocuous and bland name they could so as not to raise suspicion and raise attention to Michael's alias.

*Will learn much more about four-toed statue and Black Rock.

*Secret code name for the finale twist "The Frozen Donkey Wheel"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Just because they tell you something in the trailers for upcoming shows - or in the actual show - doesn't mean it's fact.

Truth be told, I recall seeing Michael and his Walt back in society. ;)

So that would make 8 survivors if you want to nitpick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

btw... I saw a trailer for Speed Racer yesterday when I took my boys to see Superhero Movie.

Jack (Matthew Fox) is playing Racer X, and John Goodman as Pops. Trixie is an anorexic looking Christina Ricci. Spridle and Chim-Chim will be played by Jurko and Harry I believe. But the movie looks VERY bizarre - I'll wait for reviews on this one.

So Matthew Fox and the guy who plays Sayed are quite active away from Lost. I'm surprised the cat that plays Sawyer can't land any roles as some psycho, or the kitten that plays Kate as some woman in a slasher flick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:24 pm 

While that is true, they aren't part of the apparently famous "Oceanic Six" because they were secretly back in society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Killer V wrote:

While that is true, they aren't part of the apparently famous "Oceanic Six" because they were secretly back in society.

No shit sherlock. So they're no double secret probation I take it.

I still say that bowling ball headed kid isn't one of the 'six' - and it'll end up being somebody else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:41 pm 

Just because they tell you something in the trailers for upcoming shows - or in the actual show - doesn't mean it's fact.

Didn't the producers say at some point that there would be no time-travel either?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next