It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: SNL
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:40 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I thought the same thing on the ring tone, Tad.

That was good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:02 pm 

https://youtu.be/GKaakjMVtyE?t=74

You can tell Davidson is actively trying not to roll his eyes at the dude. Look at that foreced clap and eyeroll.

Nice segment, but I dont believe Davidson is sorry and he was probably forced at machete-point to do the apology

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Colin Jost, what a bitch. That Amazon bit wasn't even a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/s ... sive-jokes

Quote:
A Saturday Night Live writer and comedian was booted mid-set while performing stand-up comedy at an event hosted by Columbia University’s Asian American Alliance because his jokes were deemed “racist” and “homophobic,” The Columbia Daily Spectator reported.

Nimesh Patel, an Emmy Award nominee and the first Indian-American writer for SNL, has in the past opened for comedian Chris Rock and performed on Late Night with Seth Meyers. But those credentials apparently weren’t enough to win over the mostly-college crowd at last Friday’s “cultureSHOCK: Reclaim.”

During Patel’s set, the 32-year-old comedian joked that being a gay, black man can’t be a choice because, “no one looks in the mirror and thinks, ‘this black thing is too easy, let me just add another thing to it,’” the report said.

Halfway through the set, AAA members reportedly jumped on stage, stole Patel's mic, and asked him to wrap it up. Patel denounced the move, telling the audience he was discussing things “in the real world,” but the coordinators cut his mic before he could finish.

Audience reactions to Patel’s booting were mixed.

Adam Warren, a student cited by The Daily Spectator who was in the audience, said AAA made the right call because Patel’s jokes contradicted with “the message” of the event.

“He definitely wasn’t the most crass comedian I’ve ever heard but for the event it was inappropriate,” Warren said.

Another student, Elle Ferguson, however, said Patel’s jokes didn’t faze her.

“While what some of the things that he said might have been a bit provoking to some of the audience, as someone who watches comedy a lot, none of them were jokes that I hadn’t heard before and none of them were jokes that elicited such a response in my experience,” Ferguson said.

"cultureSHOCK" is annual charity event hosted by AAA. According to its Facebook page, the event aims to provide “a platform for a diversity of Asian American artistic expression, but it also seeks to break through the stereotypes and challenges that our community faces.”

Patel did not respond to the paper's or Fox News' request for comment.

https://www.columbiaspectator.com/news/ ... fensive-2/

Quote:
Saturday Night Live writer and comedian Nimesh Patel was pulled from the stage by event organizers after telling jokes that were criticized as racist and homophobic during his performance at cultureSHOCK: Reclaim, an event held by Columbia Asian American Alliance on Friday night.

Patel, 32, was the first Indian-American writer for SNL, and has since been nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing. Patel has previously performed on Late Night with Seth Meyers and opened for comedians such as Chris Rock.

During the event, Patel’s performance featured commentary on his experience living in a diverse area of New York City—including a joke about a gay, black man in his neighborhood—which AAA officials deemed inappropriate. Patel joked that being gay cannot be a choice because “no one looks in the mirror and thinks, ‘this black thing is too easy, let me just add another thing to it.’”

About 30 minutes into Patel’s set, members of AAA interrupted the performance, denounced his jokes about racial identities and sexual orientation, and provided him with a few moments for closing remarks. Compared to his other jokes, ones specifically targeting sexual orientation audibly receive less laughter from the crowd.

Patel pushed back on the officials’ remarks, and said that while he stood in solidarity with Asian American identities, none of his remarks were offensive, and he was exposing the audience to ideas that would be found “in the real world.” Before he could finish, Patel’s microphone was cut from off-stage, and he proceeded to leave.

cultureSHOCK, an annual charity showcase featuring a fashion show, productions by various student groups and a famous performer, aims to provide a platform for Asian American artistic expression and breakthrough harmful stereotypes.

Neither Patel and nor AAA could immediately be reached for comment.

Adam Warren, CC ‘22, was in the audience Friday night. Warren said that AAA made the right decision to remove Patel from the stage due to the nature of his jokes, which contradicted the sensitive nature of the event itself.

“The message they were trying to send with the event was opposite to the jokes he was making, and using people’s ethnicity as the crux of his jokes could be funny but still offensive...He definitely wasn’t the most crass comedian I’ve ever heard but for the event it was inappropriate,” Warren said.

However, audience member Elle Ferguson, BC ‘22, said that while comedians can push the boundaries of social culture, she had heard similar jokes before and did not find them offensive.

“While what some of the things that he said might have been a bit provoking to some of the audience, as someone who watches comedy a lot, none of them were jokes that I hadn’t heard before and none of them were jokes that elicited such a response in my experience,” Ferguson said. “[AAA] should have talked to him beforehand especially because comedy is known for being ground-breaking and for pushing boundaries.”

For Sofia Jao, BC ‘22, problems with the performance resided not in the set, but with Patel’s closing remarks.

“I really dislike when people who are older say that our generation needs to be exposed to the real world. Obviously the world is not a safe space but just accepting that it’s not and continuing to perpetuate the un-safeness of it… is saying that it can’t be changed,” said Jao. “When older generations say you need to stop being so sensitive, it’s like undermining what our generation is trying to do in accepting others and making it safer.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Well, there's some hypersensitivity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Coming for comedy is where I draw the line.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:45 am 

Paak and Kendrick's performance was pretty cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:02 am 

That is kind of a weird joke for a non-black guy to make but the whole point of the joke is to point out inequality and the absurdity of it.

Then again, I'd say even the name of that would have been enough to keep me away as a comedian.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That is kind of a weird joke for a non-black guy to make but the whole point of the joke is to point out inequality and the absurdity of it.

Then again, I'd say even the name of that would have been enough to keep me away as a comedian.

Princeton's acapella group recently agreed to stop singing the Little Mermaid song "Kiss the Girl" because it gave the wrong impression about consent. College is where stupid people with bad ideas are allowed to make policy. It used to be the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
saw trump bitching about SNL again so gave the "cold open" a view.... i mean i realize they only had a day or two to react and prepare... but i didnt so much as chuckle at any of it... it was just so uninspired. can they find a less famous person who can actually do a decent trump impersonation? its stale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
The cake skit was funny. The rest was mostly forgettable

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:17 pm 

billypootons wrote:
saw trump bitching about SNL again so gave the "cold open" a view.... i mean i realize they only had a day or two to react and prepare... but i didnt so much as chuckle at any of it... it was just so uninspired. can they find a less famous person who can actually do a decent trump impersonation? its stale

We used to watch this every Sunday but the Trump stuff sent us away. It was literally never funny. I haven't watched any of it this year because of it. It seems like places like the Daily Show and SNL think they can just roll out a "Trump is stupid" bit and it is comedy gold. Even now Jimmy Fallon has those terrible commercials with a terrible Trump impression where he is even more annoying than normal Jimmy Fallon. Trump may have literally killed all comedy as there seemingly are millions of people who eat it up now when even Jimmy Fallon is a thought leader taking it to the President in such an unfunny way and yet he is thriving.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
billypootons wrote:

We used to watch this every Sunday but the Trump stuff sent us away. It was literally never funny. I haven't watched any of it this year because of it. It seems like places like the Daily Show and SNL think they can just roll out a "Trump is stupid" bit and it is comedy gold. Even now Jimmy Fallon has those terrible commercials with a terrible Trump impression where he is even more annoying than normal Jimmy Fallon. Trump may have literally killed all comedy as there seemingly are millions of people who eat it up now when even Jimmy Fallon is a thought leader taking it to the President in such an unfunny way and yet he is thriving.

I agree for the most part, I would say over saturation is the bigger problem. I stopped watching The Daily Show once Stewart left. Fallon just tries too hard, although his Mitt Romney stuff was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Great cameo by Bill Hader last night. Show pretty much still sucks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Caller Bob wrote:
Great cameo by Bill Hader last night. Show pretty much still sucks.

One of the better of the few I’ve seen the last couple of years. The cold open sucked hard (although Hader somewhat saved it), but the rest up until WU was pretty good. Stopped at WU while they were ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I would agree that last night's on the whole was better than most. Hader was great as always.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
https://youtu.be/9HMX-EkYUA0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:29 pm 

John Mulaney's monologue from a few weeks ago was funny. The rest of the show was pretty good, too, especially when compared to how bad it's been the last few years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm 

This might be interesting
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/a ... first-time
Quote:
Adam Sandler to host ‘SNL’ for the first time

My personal favorite Sandler bit was "The Cosby Mysteries"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 pm 

https://deadline.com/2019/04/saturday-n ... 202595520/

Quote:
‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Hit Lows With Emma Stone & BTS

#BTSxSNL was trending big Saturday night during the K-pop band’s debut on Saturday Night Live. But that did not translate to TV ratings. The April 13 telecast of Saturday Night Live, with host Emma Stone and musical guest BTS, averaged a 3.9 Live+Same Day household rating in the metered markets, and a 1.5 adults 18-49 rating in the markets with local people meters.

That was down from SNL’s episode last week hosted by Kit Harington with musical guest Sara Bareilles (4.4, 1.7). Last night’s show, which also skewered actress Lori Loughlin and the college admission scandal and featured an appearance of Michael Keaton as Julian Assange, hit a season low in meter-market households and tied a demo season low in people-meter markers. The numbers, which are not unusual for SNL this time a year, also represent a near series low (HH) and tied for a series low (18-49).

Last night’s SNL still ranked as the #1 show of the night on the Big 4 networks in metered-market households, edging ABC’s Clippers-Warriors NBA Playoff coverage (3.9 vs. 3.8), and #2 show in 18-49 in the local people meters behind only ABC’s NBA Playoffs. In 18-49 in the local people meters, SNL trails only one primetime entertainment program on the Big 4 nets so far this week, ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy (1.7). (CBS’ The Big Bang Theory aired a repeat.)

I like Emma Watson, but the show was not good. Seeing the Korean teenagers of musical guest BTS peform a rap song was comical.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Tad Queasy wrote:
https://deadline.com/2019/04/saturday-night-live-ratings-lows-emma-stone-bts-1202595520/

Quote:
‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Hit Lows With Emma Stone & BTS

#BTSxSNL was trending big Saturday night during the K-pop band’s debut on Saturday Night Live. But that did not translate to TV ratings. The April 13 telecast of Saturday Night Live, with host Emma Stone and musical guest BTS, averaged a 3.9 Live+Same Day household rating in the metered markets, and a 1.5 adults 18-49 rating in the markets with local people meters.

That was down from SNL’s episode last week hosted by Kit Harington with musical guest Sara Bareilles (4.4, 1.7). Last night’s show, which also skewered actress Lori Loughlin and the college admission scandal and featured an appearance of Michael Keaton as Julian Assange, hit a season low in meter-market households and tied a demo season low in people-meter markers. The numbers, which are not unusual for SNL this time a year, also represent a near series low (HH) and tied for a series low (18-49).

Last night’s SNL still ranked as the #1 show of the night on the Big 4 networks in metered-market households, edging ABC’s Clippers-Warriors NBA Playoff coverage (3.9 vs. 3.8), and #2 show in 18-49 in the local people meters behind only ABC’s NBA Playoffs. In 18-49 in the local people meters, SNL trails only one primetime entertainment program on the Big 4 nets so far this week, ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy (1.7). (CBS’ The Big Bang Theory aired a repeat.)

I like Emma Watson, but the show was not good. Seeing the Korean teenagers of musical guest BTS peform a rap song was comical.

Maybe if Emma Watson hosted

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:43 pm 

Oops, I meant Emma Stone. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I watched it.

It was bad.

I still don't know what BTS is.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Adam Sandler. I'm kind of pumped about this one.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Adam Sandler. I'm kind of pumped about this one.

Glad he did the Opera Man. The Clothes Is Holes song was probably the least funny thing I have seen on SNL in a decade, and I am not over exaggerating. Everything else has been above average to very good at this point.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 am 

The Farley tribute thing at the end, that was awesome.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:03 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
The Farley tribute thing at the end, that was awesome.

Fell asleep before getting to see it. Just watched it. Great stuff.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Melissa Villasenor does a hilarious Owen Wilson:

https://youtu.be/VdCsbcx_loI

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
No she doesn't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 36  Next