Steak from a good steak place: medium
Steak from a good restaurant, but not necessarily a steak place: medium well
Steak from any other place: well done

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
good dolphin wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Steak sucks. Most overrated food ever.

It doesn't suck but it and lobster are the most overrated food. Bourgeois attempting to imitate what they think the rich eat which drives up prices. Then, if it is expensive it must be good.

Pork chops are the finest cut of meat. Scallops are my favorite seafood. Halibut is probably the finest of all these here fish.

Good pork is hard to beat, unfortunately too many people cook all the moisture out of it which is easy with how lean hogs have gotten.

Scallops are perhaps my favorite sea food,lobster wouldn’t be top 10.

Last edited by Drunk Squirrel on Tue May 29, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Steak sucks. Most overrated food ever.

It doesn't suck but it and lobster are the most overrated food. Bourgeois attempting to imitate what they think the rich eat which drives up prices. Then, if it is expensive it must be good.

Pork chops are the finest cut of meat. Scallops are my favorite seafood. Halibut is probably the finest of all these here fish.

Good pork is hard to beat, unfortunately too many people cook all the moisture out of it which is easy with how mean hogs have gotten.

Scallops are perhaps my favorite sea food,lobster wouldn’t be top 10.

Although I'm not a pork chop fan, I tend to agree with you and dolphin more and more. Lobster is really only good and true tasting bathed in butter. Oddly, I've turned into an oysters, rock shrimp and salt & pepper crab guy.

And prime steak makes virtually every kind irrelevant , unless someone is skilled at cooking lesser cuts at truly high heat.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:54 pm 

A few years ago (8 maybe) My family went down to Savanah/Charleston area on a vacation. We traveled between the two towns but stopped at a low country boil place. I got some weird platter that was a LC boil but had scallops and oysters too. I’ve been kicking myself ever since for always avoiding oysters. Damn, that was a good meal.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
A few years ago (8 maybe) My family went down to Savanah/Charleston area on a vacation. We traveled between the two towns but stopped at a low country boil place. I got some weird platter that was a LC boil but had scallops and oysters too. I’ve been kicking myself ever since for always avoiding oysters. Damn, that was a good meal.

Not surprising. I came from a family of boring/Bad cooks. Oysters were just for shock value to me until my late 20s when I aggressively expanded what I ate. And then I discovered grilled oysters :D :D

Now I take them however presented in an area near where they're either harvested or eaten with glee.

But strangely enough, the first things I eat out of a boil now(before crawfish) are corn and potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:11 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Not surprising. I came from a family of boring/Bad cooks. Oysters were just for shock value to me until my late 20s when I aggressively expanded what I ate. And then I discovered grilled oysters :D :D

Now I take them however presented in an area near where they're either harvested or eaten with glee.

But strangely enough, the first things I eat out of a boil now(before crawfish) are corn and potatoes.

Sometime a few years back I made a decision that when in new places I’d eat the local fare. It’s served me well. On a localish basis I try to find new things on appitizer menues when I go out. Usually it works out, occasionally it comes home for the dog.

I’ve never been super picky but decided after eating with locals who had tons of things they wouldn’t eat that I should think of expanding. He horizons a bit more.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 pm 

I mean really, just how much steak, chicken and burgers or bacon can one eat without boredom.

Plus if you eat like a local, you get welcomed like a local more often than not. Which can on it's own face be interesting

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:20 pm 

And drinking like a local is almost always a winner.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I've wanted to try a Lowcountry boil for years now. Sounds like extremely my scene.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I tried shrimp and grits with gravy for the first time in SC a few years back and had my mind blown. I had always thought grits would suck and found them especially weird served as a dinner starch. I could eat that stuff every day now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers

I read that this is actually going to be a thing. Look for it on store shelves as early as later this month. My wife and her son mix these together
and I think it is kind of gross but my guess is I will be tasked with buying some of this as soon as I see it for them to try. They also probably
should have come up with a better name than Mayochup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Regular Reader wrote:
And then I discovered grilled oysters :D :D

YES! Recently had these for the first time and they were shockingly good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
T-Bone wrote:

I read that this is actually going to be a thing. Look for it on store shelves as early as later this month. My wife and her son mix these together
and I think it is kind of gross but my guess is I will be tasked with buying some of this as soon as I see it for them to try. They also probably

You can buy it now, Goya makes it. Then eat it all in front of that kid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Telegram Sam wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

You can buy it now, Goya makes it. Then eat it all in front of that kid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Boy, you guys have gotten a lot of mileage out of that ice cream story. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
everyone has been wrong in this thread.

the steak talk was disheartening too.