It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: House of the Dragon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Brick wrote:
It is mostly a political move to try and stop his daughter from being killed after he dies.

If she's depending on them for security they almost got their asses kicked by a handicapped crab man. The show has done a bad job of showing us the strength of the different factions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
It is mostly a political move to try and stop his daughter from being killed after he dies.

Protection? The Princess has a dragon, you dumb Caller Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

Protection? The Princess has a dragon, you dumb Caller Bob.
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I don't know what it is - I am not affected by any of the deaths I'm seeing. Just blank stares. I don't get Matt Smith's wife's death. Even if I got it I'm not sure I would have cared. The death of the Hand of the King and his son was poorly executed. It took about 30 seconds from the time it was conceived by the poor man's little finger to execution - much too fast for it register and develop anyone's character further. I'd argue that it actually made characters appear more shallow and dumb - I can't take the little finger dude seriously, he's just stupidly written imo.

I am genuinely interested in the palace intrigue between Rhyneara's family and Alicent's family, but I don't know if the writing will be good enough to justify watching any of it. Really underwhelming.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
It took about 30 seconds from the time it was conceived by the poor man's little finger to execution - much too fast for it register and develop anyone's character further.

Yeah, I wasn't even 100% sure what happened and if that was the Hand who died with the son. It was ambiguous just like last week's wedding fight.

And how can Criston be alive after killing Laenor's gay lover, let alone the head of the Queen's guard?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 pm 

It's not tight like peak GOT was. Ned Stark died and it was like a cultural event. People die in this show and half of us are like "wait, who was that again?"

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:58 am 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
It's not tight like peak GOT was. Ned Stark died and it was like a cultural event.

To be fair though, I'm not sure any show could ever shock again the way Ned Stark's death and the Red Wedding shocked. In the first instance they killed off the protagonist of the show. It was like if Otis had shot Andy Griffith in the last show of the first season. And the Red Wedding basically wiped out every character you cared about. Imagine if Ross, Rachel, Joey, and Chandler had all died in a plane crash in season 2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:08 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
It's not tight like peak GOT was. Ned Stark died and it was like a cultural event. People die in this show and half of us are like "wait, who was that again?"
Wasn't that the end of the first season though?

I assume this show has a similar finale lined up for someone that is a featured player.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:22 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
It's not tight like peak GOT was. Ned Stark died and it was like a cultural event.

To be fair though, I'm not sure any show could ever shock again the way Ned Stark's death and the Red Wedding shocked. In the first instance they killed off the protagonist of the show. It was like if Otis had shot Andy Griffith in the last show of the first season. And the Red Wedding basically wiped out every character you cared about. Imagine if Ross, Rachel, Joey, and Chandler had all died in a plane crash in season 2.

Friends would have been a much better show if it focused on Gunther.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I assume this show has a similar finale lined up for someone that is a featured player.

Probably just gonna be Daemon re-hooking up with Rhaenyra.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:51 am 

Brick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

It was the second to last episode but yes fair point. Let's assume something similarly dramatic happens here. Do you care? I'm not personally invested in anyone thus far. I may have been with Rhyneara but now I have to get used to a new actress which is weird. I really don't know what to think about Daemon. He doesn't like his bro, he wants to be the heir, he maybe wants to take the throne by force, then he wants to marry his niece, then he is xoop being a war hero and chilling in Pentos, etc. Idk what is going on with him to the point where I don't really think I'd care if something earth shattering were to happen to him anytime soon. Technically something earth shattering did happen: he lost his wife and unborn kid, but again it's like so what.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:02 am 

If you aren't invested in any of the Targareyens in a show about the Targareyens then I don't think this show is for you.

I think the show is going too fast too but we probably would only have a small amount of caring about the various people that the Targareyens are sleeping with that all seem to be dying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I’ve come around to Daemon. Seems like a good guy.

Supposedly they’ll have about 3 or 4 total seasons and they’ve got about as much ground to cover from here on as they have to date.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:15 am 
1000 CLUB

HBO may have miscalculated. There was speculation GOT was done as a franchise after Season 8 debacle. It was getting fewer mentions on social media than Friends or Big Bang Theory. If they had to do it over they would have probably slowed everything down.

The new princess doesn't look anything like the old one so I had no idea what was going at beginning. Old queen and new queen look similar.

I'm not buying the ending. A bunch of thieves and rapists are turned into elite assassins? I'm going to free you but you have to kill The Hand. Yeah ok...they would have scattered as soon as they got past the city gates.

The only character I like is the king. He seems to be doing his best but he's surrounded by jackasses. I want to see the knight lose his head. He swore an oath and he's blaming the princess? The balls on this guy. I'm sure the gay community isn't going to like that not only was he not punished he seemed to have been promoted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:42 am 

Brick wrote:
If you aren't invested in any of the Targareyens in a show about the Targareyens then I don't think this show is for you.

I think the show is going too fast too but we probably would only have a small amount of caring about the various people that the Targareyens are sleeping with that all seem to be dying.

The point is the show is doing a sucky job at securing investment from MANY viewers. I agree it's moving too fast, that's part of the problem. It inhibits character development which was so central to peak GOT and really most good shows.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:47 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
The point is the show is doing a sucky job at securing investment from MANY viewers.
I haven't read the books from what I understand this is basically the start of the actual story. Everything has just been setting it up so far. We got the backstory and this last episode just setup the current place where people are after the time jump.

Still though, if you aren't invested in what happens to the Viserys, Rhaenyra, and Daemon at this point then it's probably not going to happen for you. If you weren't invested in the people they were sleeping with then it's not really that important outside of Alicent who seems to be a little bit of a mean girl.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Fair point but why are you shocked in the first place? I'd guess it's because the show has done a good job getting you to invest in the character through the character's place in the overall plot, his/her depth, and the way the character is generally written. Has the show done that for you for any character here? I have some attachment to the king and his pre-time jump daughter. I thought Otto was developing nicely as a character. Alicent is easy to understand as a sort of female Ned Stark (honor, code, etc.) but she also felt one dimensional at times. Maybe that will change now that she's aged ten years. Not sure how I feel about anyone else but could be missing someone.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:33 am 

It's also going to feel different because pretty much everyone in this show is a few levels up of grandparents of the enemy in GoT. Only the dopey great-great-great-grandparent of Tywin Lannister seems to be anything in this outside of the Targareyen family.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:05 am 
1000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I’ve come around to Daemon. Seems like a good guy.

He was interesting at first. He was obviously the morally "grey" character like Jamie Lannister. He was the only character that looked like he might have a real arc but these writers didn't have the chops to pull it off. He beat his wife to death with a rock. That's really stupid writing. They needed to get rid of his wife but they wrecked his arc because they were too incompetent to do it properly. Start the show like they did...its a hunting party and they're chasing something. A wolf or something jumps out of woods and scares her horse she falls off breaks her neck and is dead. The other people surround her oh no she's dead. We wonder who she is and what just happened. Cut to Daemon at his castle a messenger enters with grave news. His wife is dead. Daemon starts laughing and messenger is embarrassed at reaction. Scene. Daemon still looks like a scumbag but his arc is intact. There's no coming back from beating his wife's head in with a rock.

The problem with this show is the people just do things and don't seem real. They are just there to serve the plot.

Post subject: ue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
I really don't like the way this series has gone. THe latest problems that I have is the time jump and the new Princess. The first one was a cutey pie. The new one looked like a scullery maid.

I also don't know where the "heroes" are in this series? In GOT it was clear who the good guys and bad guys are. Here, all of these people are losers. Even the Princess and the Queen's kids are a-holes. If this crap doesn't get better, i guess i'll be watching GOT reruns?

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

Post subject: Re: ue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:44 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
I really don't like the way this series has gone. THe latest problems that I have is the time jump and the new Princess. The first one was a cutey pie. The new one looked like a scullery maid.

I also don't know where the "heroes" are in this series? In GOT it was clear who the good guys and bad guys are. Here, all of these people are losers. Even the Princess and the Queen's kids are a-holes. If this crap doesn't get better, i guess i'll be watching GOT reruns?

There was maybe one mostly good guy in GoT? Everyone else is either bad or ok but frequently bad.

Just hop on the Daemon bandwagon. He’s a better version of Jaime and has a dragon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:39 am 
Site Admin

The Hawk wrote:

There was maybe one mostly good guy in GoT?

All the Starks were good guys.

From things I've read and people I've talked to, most seem to identify with Rhaenyra and consider her the protagonist. I'm 100% on Team Alicent and I can't wait for one of her blonde freaks to chop up their bastard cousins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sansa was pretty horrible.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
From things I've read and people I've talked to, most seem to identify with Rhaenyra and consider her the protagonist. I'm 100% on Team Alicent and I can't wait for one of her blonde freaks to chop up their bastard cousins.
I don't see how someone could identify with the Targareyens. They are the bad guys. All of them. Daemon is the best because he at least knows it. Viserys tries to be a good guy but mostly just does whatever he wants which is mostly building his models and drinking and looking like he's going to die and then not dying.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:56 am 

Arya was a killer (with good motive but still).

Bran is…just, the worst.

Rickon can’t run in a zig zag.

Robb was well meaning, though caused the death of his family & friends because he couldn’t keep it in his pants.

Kat was awful.

Ned was probably net good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sansa was pretty horrible.

Sansa was obviously supposed to be a "good guy." If you're saying you didn't care about her, I get it. But come on. She was completely abused throughout the show and then she fed Ramsey to his own dogs and triumphantly became the Queen in the North.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Robb was well meaning, though caused the death of his family & friends because he couldn’t keep it in his pants.

Love is a battlefield.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:40 am 
1000 CLUB

Bran is…just, the worst.
Rickon can’t run in a zig zag.
Kat was awful.

The showrunners got the Star Wars gig and wanted to wrap everything up as quick as possible so Bran didn't have the outcome he was supposed to. Rickon might have been the low point in the show before Season 8 that was so dumb. You wouldn't believe what happens to Kat in the books. It was way different than show.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:04 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Brick wrote:

The point is the show is doing a sucky job at securing investment from MANY viewers. I agree it's moving too fast, that's part of the problem. It inhibits character development which was so central to peak GOT and really most good shows.

Whoever wrote this prequel really screwed up. There are no likeable characters. There is no understandable story lines whatsoever. Didn't these guys understand the great show they were trying to tie into? Its really badly done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:14 pm 

The Hawk wrote:

There was maybe one mostly good guy in GoT? Everyone else is either bad or ok but frequently bad.

Just hop on the Daemon bandwagon. He’s a better version of Jaime and has a dragon.

i just disagree. The Starks were good guys basically. They had their problems but had a honor code. Jamie was arrogant but he had a streak of honor in him. The Imp was a good guy and so really was the Hound. There were many others. I read the Game of Thrones books but no literature about what happened earlier. This series just doesn't measure up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:19 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Brick wrote:

Whoever wrote this prequel really screwed up. There are no likeable characters. There is no understandable story lines whatsoever. Didn't these guys understand the great show they were trying to tie into? Its really badly done.

Don't watch then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next