It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
shakes wrote:
I almost forgot about the one thing that bothered me more than anything I've seen on BCS.

There is literally no chance that Jimmy (or for that matter ANY person re-applying for a law license) would forget to mention the victim of his crime. no chance at all.

Also no chance that Jimmy would be too stupid to understand how that could be important. A grifter like Jimmy, c'mon.

Maybe he's purposefully trying to repress his feelings about Chuck. Normal Jimmy would know how to read the room but he can't see that they want him to talk about Chuck because he doesn't want to deal with it.

It seemed to me that the writers wanted to portray this season that Jimmy is a sociopath almost on the level of Walter White which would obviously make sense given the type of lawyer he becomes. The fact that he seemingly hasn't cared at all about his brother or what happened all season seems genuine.

I predict he makes a huge show of how sorry he is about Chuck and what was done and how much he misses him and then walks out of the courtroom and when Kim tries to console him afterwards he is completely normal and asks her if he was convincing enough to get his license back.

Sociopaths are well known for doing great jobs pretending to care about things. Not buying it at all that street smart grifter Jimmy can pull off elaborate detailed hoaxes like the phone scam, but it doesn't occur to him that he might want to butter the panel up about his relationship to his dead brother.

I agree that he's not acting abnormal in his lack of caring, but failing to put on a show for the panel is a massive break from character IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 am 

that's the point, shakes. it's the thing that eludes him. when he basically said "what does my brother have to do with anything" it showed how much jimmy doesn't want to acknowledge him.

now of course he knows he has to, in which case he probably would believably "put on a show" including his brother. but that's his one blind spot.

if a psychopathic killer wants to impress a parole board and knows he has to talk about his abusive father to garner sympathy, but it's actually his mother who made him the way he is...he's not going to mention his mother.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:31 am 

not buying that at all.

Literally zero chance a con man like Jimmy would somehow not realize he needs to talk about his victim during a hearing like that. Whether he thinks about Chuck or not he would still think about him when prepping for the hearing. Like any con man he would put himself in the shoes of the people on the panel and figure out what they want to hear.

Weak story telling.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
So I am way behind in my DVR viewing -- I just got to the episode where Jimmy starts selling the cell phones -- but wow, this season is REALLY good so far. Hoping to catch up soon so I can read the thread!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Pretty good.

That post-appeal hallway scene was incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Pretty good.

Finally.

S'all good man.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:30 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Pretty good.

Finally.

S'all good man.

I think he figured out that Kim wrote that letter, not Chuck.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 am 

W_Z wrote:
No but I think Mike has him all fucked up thinking that the next mistake he makes will be the end of him.

So, better to take off now than make some mistake.

this makes a lot of sense. he's freaking out and realizes that quite possibly he's a dead man either way.

this didn't really add up in the end. it turns out the guy really just wanted to see his wife. i would think the professionalism in him would have made him understood that he could finish this and go home. would he had thought that there was no exit after completing the job, it would have made sense for him to freak out and leave. but for him to be the only one who truly went stir crazy didn't seem credible. not in the lengths he went. he had to have known what he did was going to get him killed if he were caught.

i still felt bad for him in the end, though. he was this show's gale.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Chuck had a good singing voice...of course he was played by the actor who was David St. Hubbins.

Was kind of disappointed we didn’t see any other BB cameos other than Gale. Thought we might see Tuco taking in Hector to live with him. I found it odd they left out Nacho, since there was a foreboding feeling when he left with Lalo in the previous episode. Also, the chase between Lalo and Mike didn’t make sense to me...was Lalo out to kill Mike?

Season 5 should be great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:09 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Also, the chase between Lalo and Mike didn’t make sense to me...was Lalo out to kill Mike?

i actually think that character was written in because the actor who plays tuco was so shaken by having to play such a psychotic character. lalo is basically intel for don eladio. he wasn't going to kill mike, he's trying to see what gus is up to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
W_Z wrote:
W_Z wrote:
No but I think Mike has him all fucked up thinking that the next mistake he makes will be the end of him.

this makes a lot of sense. he's freaking out and realizes that quite possibly he's a dead man either way.

this didn't really add up in the end. it turns out the guy really just wanted to see his wife. i would think the professionalism in him would have made him understood that he could finish this and go home. would he had thought that there was no exit after completing the job, it would have made sense for him to freak out and leave. but for him to be the only one who truly went stir crazy didn't seem credible. not in the lengths he went. he had to have known what he did was going to get him killed if he were caught.

He thought he could take advantage of his "friend Michael" which he could not and he also underestimated Fring. He thought he could just talk his way out of it all.
All in all he thought him and Mike were friends. They're not.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Darkside wrote:

I sense a CFMB subtext.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:41 am 

Darkside wrote:
W_Z wrote:
W_Z wrote:

He thought he could take advantage of his "friend Michael" which he could not and he also underestimated Fring. He thought he could just talk his way out of it all.

That's pretty much the only way I can look at it working. Good point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Panther pislA wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Pretty good.

Finally.

S'all good man.

I think he figured out that Kim wrote that letter, not Chuck.

I wonder if we went back a few pages, if someone called this....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm 

that theory, which makes no sense at all, has already been debunked by odenkirk himself. 2 months ago.

https://tvline.com/2018/08/31/better-call-saul-season-4-chuck-letter-kim-jimmy-bob-odenkirk/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
W_Z wrote:
that theory, which makes no sense at all, has already been debunked by odenkirk himself. 2 months ago.

https://tvline.com/2018/08/31/better-call-saul-season-4-chuck-letter-kim-jimmy-bob-odenkirk/

The actual letter is what makes no sense at all.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 pm 

Panther pislA wrote:
W_Z wrote:

I figured the letter was Chuck writing something shitty to Jimmy telling him how he really felt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:30 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
W_Z wrote:

I figured the letter was Chuck writing something shitty to Jimmy telling him how he really felt.

Which is why I think Kim rewrote it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm 

Cashman wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Which is why I think Kim rewrote it.

I think Jimmy faked it if anything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 pm 

this is a classic example of dumb internet theory. the last thing kim does is fake feelings. why would she be getting emotional (twice) to a letter that she re-wrote? she isn't turning into saul goodman, jimmy is.

she's obviously heartbroken over the pouring of chuck's words, and the interesting irony is that when jimmy reads it to her he does it like he's reading through a discarded notebook. before he is about to bring it to the board, she tells him "it's not just the words, it's how you say them." yet, when he said them so unemotionally, she broke down crying.

the hurt expression at the bar hearing is due to seeing jimmy's seemingly real reaction, that finally he has felt the emotions she has.

it's a punch to her gut when he calls them "suckers", revealing obviously that the whole presentation was a con, not just what she thought was going to be embellishment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:03 am 

I didn't get my theory from the interwebs. As I was watching it, it kinda made sense. Why is she crying? My guess, she remembers reading the hurtful letter Chuck really wrote to Jimmy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 am 

I liked the season finale as an episode but it was a really weak payoff to a slow moving season that didn't really advance the story much. It should pick up with Jimmy starting his practice though. I'm still worried that the show was ultimately about Chuck and Jimmy and as someone else earlier in the thread pointed out will result in shock value "Look at this guy from Breaking Bad!".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I liked the season finale as an episode but it was a really weak payoff to a slow moving season that didn't really advance the story much. It should pick up with Jimmy starting his practice though. I'm still worried that the show was ultimately about Chuck and Jimmy and as someone else earlier in the thread pointed out will result in shock value "Look at this guy from Breaking Bad!".

If you remember, BB had a lot of this slow "filler" stuff going on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 am 

thought it was a pretty meh finale. Completely predictable, I expect more.

Found the whole Jimmy gets his law license back storyline to be a total snoozefest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
in regards to kim being emotional when reading the letter and how hard she pushed for jimmy to use it legitimately, the answer is fairly simple: she knew the complex relationship between Jimmy and Chuck and wanted along with Jimmy, for Chuck to accept his brother. The letter was a final admission that Chuck had been an asshole and treated his brother like shit. But for Jimmy, the final apology was too late. Chuck had severed the brotherly ties and Jimmy would never forgive him. Kim knew how difficult it had been for Jimmy, but could never grasp how much it actually hurt him. She thought he finally acknowledged the pain and had a breakthrough at the end, which is why she was so destroyed when it was another Slippin' Jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Cashman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If you remember, BB had a lot of this slow "filler" stuff going on.

BB was never boring, this season of BCS was garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 am 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
in regards to kim being emotional when reading the letter and how hard she pushed for jimmy to use it legitimately, the answer is fairly simple: she knew the complex relationship between Jimmy and Chuck and wanted along with Jimmy, for Chuck to accept his brother. The letter was a final admission that Chuck had been an asshole and treated his brother like shit. But for Jimmy, the final apology was too late. Chuck had severed the brotherly ties and Jimmy would never forgive him. Kim knew how difficult it had been for Jimmy, but could never grasp how much it actually hurt him. She thought he finally acknowledged the pain and had a breakthrough at the end, which is why she was so destroyed when it was another Slippin' Jimmy

bingo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
We wait until 2020 for the next new episode. Rats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:09 pm 

Renewed for a 6th and final season. Hank and Gomez will be in this season. Sounds like we will get some Gene this season as well. LFG!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
schmitty1121 wrote:
Renewed for a 6th and final season. Hank and Gomez will be in this season. Sounds like we will get some Gene this season as well. LFG!

Wait, so there's a 5th and 6th? I figured the 5th would be the last, as they seem to be pretty close to the BB timeline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 48  Next