It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Babel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:38 am 

I just saw Babel last night and I can tell you that out of all the movies I've seen that came out in 2006 this movie is the best. It kinda like crash but put together so much better with the acting of all involved top notch. Its a movie how 1 thing can affect so many people from different parts of the world who never ever met each other... Story and acting is top notch.

Movies ive seen from 2006:
Babel ~best movie of 2006
Borat
Clerks 2
Inside Man
Little Miss Sunshine
Rocky Balboa
Saw III
Wedding Crashers
X-Men The Last Stand
The Departed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:52 pm 

I liked Departed the best. I thought Jack Nicholson and Di Caprio made teh movie. Little Miss Sunshine would be my second best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:58 pm 

Quote:
I liked Departed the best. I thought Jack Nicholson and Di Caprio made the movie. Little Miss Sunshine would be my second best.

Departed was an ok movie but definately not Scorsese's best. Goodfellas and Raging Bull were 10x better movies from Scorsese.

I thought Babel was a much better movie than The Departed by the message and the story the movie was trying to tell. It’s definitely a movie for people with at least half a brain and not just senseless violence or comedy where u do not have to think to watch the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Quote:
It’s definitely a movie for people with at least half a brain

High praise, indeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:30 pm 

Was that supposed to have been sub-titled? Because the copy I watched wasn't. I only kind of know what they were talking about in any foreign scenes.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm 

Quote:
Was that supposed to have been sub-titled? Because the copy I watched wasn't. I only kind of know what they were talking about in any foreign scenes.

Yes, the movie is subtitled and the pirated copy you got also has subtitiles. I assume the person who burned the file didnt know how to input the subtitiles or if you watch it on your computer you need a 3rd party utility so it shows subititiles in windows media player.

I think DirectVobSub is a utility that lets u play subititles in media player

/polster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

I got my copy of Babel from Blockbuster and there were no subtitles. I kept clicking all kinds of subtitle, captioning, etc. to get some. Nothing. There weren't any. I assumed it was stupid Hollyweird again expecting us to understand a story in various different languages. I gave up after 30 minutes. My Japanese, Morrocan or whatever other languages were being spoken isn't too good. Not good that Blockbuster is now renting pirated films....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
So I'm the only one who seen Little Man in here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:15 pm 

Quote:
I got my copy of Babel from Blockbuster and there were no subtitles. I kept clicking all kinds of subtitle, captioning, etc. to get some. Nothing. There weren't any. I assumed it was stupid Hollyweird again expecting us to understand a story in various different languages.

LOL, I suspected this at first as well. But, after seeing the whole thing, I decided that it was probably supposed to be subtitled.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I got my copy of Babel from Blockbuster and there were no subtitles. I kept clicking all kinds of subtitle, captioning, etc. to get some. Nothing. There weren't any. I assumed it was stupid Hollyweird again expecting us to understand a story in various different languages.

LOL, I suspected this at first as well. But, after seeing the whole thing, I decided that it was probably supposed to be subtitled.

well that might be the reason a lot in the Oscar voting didnt vote for this movie... They couldnt get the subtitles to work! :)

If you get a chance download the film on the web and make sure there are subtities with the version u download and play it in media player with directvobsub... I think youll like the movie if u can have subtitiles associated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:05 pm 

I watched it last night. Very good. One question: what did the last note that the Japanese Deaf-Mute gave to the policeman say? Are we supposed to know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:32 pm 

Bulldog Scott wrote:
I watched it last night. Very good. One question: what did the last note that the Japanese Deaf-Mute gave to the policeman say? Are we supposed to know?

I have no idea, but the best answer I read on some internet blog was:

Quote:
the japanese girl has been sexually abused by her father….that is why her mother shot herself…it can be inferred by the policeman’s reaction that she told him about the abuse in her note…her inability to speak ties into the communication void that is one of the main themes of the movie….much of her behavior in the film makes this point obvious….her anger with the authority figure (referee) at the volleyball game, her reply in the lockeroom to the girl who says “she’s just in a bad mood because she needs to get laid”….her reply is “i’m going to f—k your father to get rid of my mood”….her constant inappropriate sexual advances to several men throughout the film also suggest sexual abuse at the hands of her father….the embrace he gives her at the end is not one of father to daughter, it’s one of father to lover

BTW- My favorite scene in the whole movie was when the deaf girl went into the dance club and they played the visual with and without sound... Really gives you incite from that scene how deaf people see the environment around them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:35 pm 

Quote:
BTW- My favorite scene in the whole movie was when the deaf girl went into the dance club and they played the visual with and without sound... Really gives you incite from that scene how deaf people see the environment around them.
[/quote]

I liked that scene, too, once I figured out I wasn't having a seizure.

THanks for the input. I thought it might have something to do with that, but I wasn't sure if they did indeed say what was on that letter and I missed it because of screwy subtitles or something.