It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO Westworld
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
denisdman wrote:
The show should end there. Anything subsequent will just be fluff and circular. I like the way they wrapped it up, but I think I need to watch the entire season again to appreciate everything that happened.

Supposedly, they had 5 seasons mapped out before they launched this one.

Wow, I think they blew their load on it. They could have strung a lot more stuff out. Well, if it ends up going down hill, I don't have to watch.

That last episode was awesome. And some of the folks on here were spot on both about Bernard being a Host and MiB being William. You guys are damn good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I think next season is the hosts beginning their takeover of Westworld facility and starting to explore the other "worlds" in the larger Delos facility.

The hosts need to eventually leave the facility and enter the real world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:02 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
I think next season is the hosts beginning their takeover of Westworld facility and starting to explore the other "worlds" in the larger Delos facility.

The hosts need to eventually leave the facility and enter the real world.

And it'll be hard to make that seem realistic. If the hosts have killed people, the government would just come in and dismantle the whole thing. But hey, I'm game until I'm not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I wouldn't call it a great show, but it's certainly entertaining as hell and it raises many ethical and philosophical concerns.

I once read about a condition that few people have where they cannot feel physical pain. They meet others all the time who think that's great. Wouldn't it be nice to never experience pain? Of course, if you actually ponder it for more than a moment, you should realize how important pain is and how we can't really live without it. And indeed most people with this condition do not live very long. They are constantly injuring themselves without being aware of it. It's very difficult to survive childhood while being incapable of experiencing any pain.

In this case, we're talking about emotional pain and how important it is for us to feel it as human beings. Once the hosts are capable of remembering, they remember emotional pain, are capable of learning from it, and have become virtually indistinguishable from humans (at least until they are wiped/rolled back). The first time during this show that I really deeply felt sympathy and emotion for a host was when the MiB explained to Dolores that he was the William she was waiting for. That was purely heart-wrenching.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I wouldn't call it a great show, but it's certainly entertaining as hell and it raises many ethical and philosophical concerns.

I once read about a condition that few people have where they cannot feel physical pain. They meet others all the time who think that's great. Wouldn't it be nice to never experience pain? Of course, if you actually ponder it for more than a moment, you should realize how important pain is and how we can't really live without it. And indeed most people with this condition do not live very long. They are constantly injuring themselves without being aware of it. It's very difficult to survive childhood while being incapable of experiencing any pain.

In this case, we're talking about emotional pain and how important it is for us to feel it as human beings. Once the hosts are capable of remembering, they remember emotional pain, are capable of learning from it, and have become virtually indistinguishable from humans (at least until they are wiped/rolled back). The first time during this show that I really deeply felt sympathy and emotion for a host was when the MiB explained to Dolores that he was the William she was waiting for. That was purely heart-wrenching.

It's a very well made show at the very least, and it's a pretty good view into ethical questions that are already coming up. The show also provides a great critique of religion, which the writers view as clearly manmade.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I wouldn't call it a great show, but it's certainly entertaining as hell

My thoughts exactly. Although the last episode wrapped it up better than I ever could have hoped.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 pm 

The look on William's face at the end when he got shot in the arm was great.

He finally found the center of the maze.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:16 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

He seemed so happy.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

He seemed so happy.....

He finally made it to the highest level!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:21 pm 

Anyone creeped out by the guy taking the host, plugging in ear buds, and lubing up? I thought we were in for a Reservoir Dogs style man on man scene.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's a very well made show at the very least, and it's a pretty good view into ethical questions that are already coming up. The show also provides a great critique of religion, which the writers view as clearly manmade.

Another theme is how a person is defined. I think it's very interesting that this show is addressing that at a time when certain people are demanding that others use particular pronouns in speaking about them. It seems to me to be the height of narcissism for a person to believe that he/she is solely responsible for defining his or herself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Anyone creeped out by the guy taking the host, plugging in ear buds, and lubing up? I thought we were in for a Reservoir Dogs style man on man scene.

Hector is equally attractive to men and women.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:47 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Wow, I think they blew their load on it. They could have strung a lot more stuff out. Well, if it ends up going down hill, I don't have to watch.

That last episode was awesome. And some of the folks on here were spot on both about Bernard being a Host and MiB being William. You guys are damn good.

Quote:
I think the first season is an amazing prequel and a good setup for the actual show.

Per Evan Rachel Woods here: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... am-bernard

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:50 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Another theme is how a person is defined. I think it's very interesting that this show is addressing that at a time when certain people are demanding that others use particular pronouns in speaking about them. It seems to me to be the height of narcissism for a person to believe that he/she is solely responsible for defining his or herself.

Think you mean ze or zirself, zir.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
denisdman wrote:

Why? They are just fleshlights with faces.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
When Felix looks down at his hands it might be the best scene of the series so far.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:00 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Why? They are just fleshlights with faces.

That Flesh Light thing reminds me of one strange dude I encountered on the Yahoo Finance Message. There was a guy named Robert Monski. You can search his name, and you will see he got fined by the SEC for illegal trading (link below). Well, he used to post on the message boards. His personality was divisive and angry. He pissed off so many people, that someone created an Internet site called "the I hate Bob Monski" website. They posted a supposed picture of him coming out of a trailer in Alabama. They pasted his head shot to nude bodies. They even posted a supposed layoff notice from his company. The stuff seemed like it was created by someone who knew him personally.

In any case, what invariably happened is people created mults with his name. One of the prominent mults had a profile page for Monski that said he was a vendor of Flesh Lights. He had some comments about how he used them all the time, and it was the most most amazing device.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/04/busin ... -case.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:07 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
When Felix looks down at his hands it might be the best scene of the series so far.

:lol:

It was terrific.

Hopefully Felix goes into the park next season with Maeve to find her daughter.

Their adventures could rival Bronn/Tyrion and Jamie/Brienne.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:12 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It was terrific.

I liked the visual when Elsie blackmailed the one guy by showing him the video of him f-ing a host.

I also like the scene where the Chairlady is banging the host in the hotel room.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:15 pm 

Did Charlotte die last night?

I don't remember if Dolores shot her.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:20 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Did Charlotte die last night?

I don't remember if Dolores shot her.

I don't think so. It was a lot of random shooting at the crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:25 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It was terrific.

One thing I'm wondering about Maeve is when she went back for her daughter, was she ignoring Ford/Arnold's code for her and making her own decision? They made it look like she was programmed to escape and had no choice, but they also mentioned that she would get on the train and leave, and she changed her mind at the last second and got off the train.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:26 pm 

I clearly thought she was exercising free will.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:29 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Even though Bernard showed her that every action she had taken up until that point was scripted?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Even though Bernard showed her that every action she had taken up until that point was scripted?

Yeah I thought that last decision was her choosing to pick her daughter over her programming.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It was terrific.

One thing I'm wondering about Maeve is when she went back for her daughter, was she ignoring Ford/Arnold's code for her and making her own decision? They made it look like she was programmed to escape and had no choice, but they also mentioned that she would get on the train and leave, and she changed her mind at the last second and got off the train.

I would say she found the center of the maze.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
some questions.

Is Ford dead or was that a robot Ford, perhaps the one he had been making in the underground lair.

Did Ford program Maeve to do all that stuff back at base to serve as a distraction for his big reveal in the park? Sure did keep the security team busy.

is MIB dead? Was he only winged on purpose?

Overall, great show. Do you guys think that in the end Ford and Albert wanted the same thing? Sounds like in the beginning he was against Albert and his idea of waking up the androids, but then he said he spent 35 years correcting a mistake. But then didn't he tell Delores that she would still have to do some suffering before truly waking up. Was he talking about shooting all the guests or was he talking about something still in the future?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:49 pm 

I think Ford came around to Arnold's way of thinking after Arnold sacrificed himself.

I think real Ford is dead.

MiB isn't dead, but I don't think he was winged on purpose. It was just how he got hit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
I think Ford came around to Arnold's way of thinking after Arnold sacrificed himself.

MiB isn't dead, but I don't think he was winged on purpose. It was just how he got hit.

Ed Harris said this his William will return in some form next year. Young William is gone.

Anthony Hopkins is gone. Might appear in flashbacks. Don't think that he is going to be a full time part of a television series at this point of his life and career though.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Ed Harris said this his William will return in some form next year. Young William is gone.

Anthony Hopkins is gone. Might appear in flashbacks. Don't think that he is going to be a full time part of a television series at this point of his life and career though.

Yeah that's why I think it was real Ford.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next