It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TV/internet providers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:50 pm 

In the process of moving, so wanted to throw it out to the experts here about my choices. Have had Uverse forever, with no huge issues, but not married to it either. Whatever we go with, wifi strength is important because kids will be running stuff all over the house.

Not really interested in "cutting the cord", because I'm old and don't really want to deal with all the new stuff that the cool kids are all using.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I've been perfectly happy with XFinity TV since I switched to it a month ago...had a slight issue with the main box freezing and rebooting, but they sent a tech out to replace said box, and no issues.

I've had Comcast internet for the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Uverse is my choice. Prices never really explode once the first 12 months are over and they are always willing to help lower your bill by getting you a new deal.

Comcast will lock you into 2 years and then rape your ass after the first 12 months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 pm 

casual fan wrote:
In the process of moving, so wanted to throw it out to the experts here about my choices. Have had Uverse forever, with no huge issues, but not married to it either. Whatever we go with, wifi strength is important because kids will be running stuff all over the house.

Not really interested in "cutting the cord", because I'm old and don't really want to deal with all the new stuff that the cool kids are all using.

It's a little pricy, but the best and easiest solution for wifi strength in your whole house is Google Wifi. Your internet provider just connects to that and you get a strong signal everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:56 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Uverse is my choice. Prices never really explode once the first 12 months are over and they are always willing to help lower your bill by getting you a new deal.

Comcast will lock you into 2 years and then rape your ass after the first 12 months.

Negatory...price locked in except for a $10 DVR thing for 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I ditched Comcast for Fios a few months ago to save $70 per month. Sure a few less channels but 3x faster internet. Happy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I dumped comcrap and went with Wow for 85$ less a month..so far so good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I've been thinking of dropping Comcast, but was wondering if I did so, would I need to give up my @comcast.net e-mail address? I've had it forever and don't really want to change everything linked to it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I've been thinking of dropping Comcast, but was wondering if I did so, would I need to give up my @comcast.net e-mail address? I've had it forever and don't really want to change everything linked to it.

Nope..keep the email n dump those rapists.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... email-only

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I'm a WOW guy but that's also the name of my cable provider.

I had Comcast for over 20 years but the price kept going up,so we dumped it about 5 years ago.

Never a problem with WOW. I get the faster internet,one DVR and one HD cablebox for 118.00 a month.
We have a lot of channels but no premium channels. If I want a newly released movie,we have many options for rental.

My son has Playstation Vue and kept it even after he moved recently. They like it very much.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 pm 

The responses so far are what make it tough to choose. You ask 10 people about comcast/uverse/etc. and 5 like it, 5 completely hate it. I think for myself, some of it comes down to "the devil you know". Moving just seems like the time to change, if I'm going to. Probably need to do some research on what kind of deals are being offered now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
casual fan wrote:
The responses so far are what make it tough to choose. You ask 10 people about comcast/uverse/etc. and 5 like it, 5 completely hate it. I think for myself, some of it comes down to "the devil you know". Moving just seems like the time to change, if I'm going to. Probably need to do some research on what kind of deals are being offered now.

I forgot to mention,I also bought my own router off of Amazon (refurbished for 15 bucks) instead of being charged 8 dollars a month by my cable provider.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:04 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
casual fan wrote:

I forgot to mention,I also bought my own router off of Amazon (refurbished for 15 bucks) instead of being charged 8 dollars a month by my cable provider.

Same here - bought a new one for 80 and saved the 10 bucks a month from Comcast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
XFinity Internet
PSVue with a FireTV

Been very happy. I get 80 something channels and 75mm download speeds for sub 100 bucks a month.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
My TV is PS Vue and I won't ever go back to cable after having it. After I move in a few months I'm getting AT&T Fiber for my Internet since my new neighborhood supports it. $80 a month will get me gigabit Internet with all of the equipment provided and no data limits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
You might dig around here to see if there's anything to help you decide: https://www.dslreports.com/