It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dunkirk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I'm sure it would've been better if it had more women in it .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm 

there's some chick who's a friend of my wife, and i shit you not...she complained about the last 3rd of "wonder woman" because a MALE saved people at the end--and...the kicker: that no women soldiers were depicted in the film.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Saw projected on film at Music Box. Most amazing part was I found a parking spot. We're still talking about that 3 days later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
badrogue17 wrote:

Jesus man!!! Do you ever have a charged battery?!? Your phone gives me anxiety.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
W_Z wrote:
there's some chick who's a friend of my wife, and i shit you not...she complained about the last 3rd of "wonder woman" because a MALE saved people at the end--and...the kicker: that no women soldiers were depicted in the film.

Did she miss the island full of women soldiers? Or the fact it was set in WWI?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:24 pm 

it was about the worst "criticism" you could find. like she was trying to find something to dislike about it. coulda picked on the lame supervillain in the climax. but nope. go after something that makes absolutely no sense.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hank Scorpio wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Jesus man!!! Do you ever have a charged battery?!? Your phone gives me anxiety.

:lol: 4am Hank. Fully charged at 4am. My phone takes quite the beating finding stupid stuff all day on the interwebs . By 3pm, its exhausted .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
badrogue17 wrote:

The manly maleness of hopelessness and having to be rescued? Guys, let's celebrate that! You would think she would like this film.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
good dolphin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
The movie never let up from the first scene. It was a 2 hour movie, but felt like an hour and a half because it was ridiculously intense. Also some sad parts. My wife was crying.

Nolan is one of the 3 or 4 best directors in Hollywood, and this is better than Inception. Just as good or better than my fav Nolan movie "The Dark Knight".

You need to see this in a theater. Be warned tho. It is LOUD. The gun shots especially. I'm thinking Nolan wanted to keep it as realistic as possible. Sit in the middle of the theater.

Also, Tom Hardy is badass in his role.

It's loud but it is also quiet. The dialogue throughout the film is minimal. Most of the acting is in silence.

I would have preferred the airplane scenes to have been presented without any background music. It is inobtrusive as it is but I think it would have been even better with nothing but the sounds of the plane. I loved the calm demeanor of the pilots in the face of the ultimate danger...unlike a movie like Top Gun where the pilots are always jabbering.

I also like that neither character nor viewer ever meets the enemy. Sure we see the airplanes but we never once see a Nazi.

Great movie. I loved it and would watch it again.

I'm think he wanted to contrast those scenes with the silence of the scenes when he ran out of gas and was flying over the beach. Maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:37 am 

i saw this yesterday. i think the strongest bits of the film were on the yacht with the father and two boys. the messiest was all the stuff with the soldiers on the mole. without any kind of character development, it lacked drama. it was hard to keep track of who was who--except harry styles because he stands out. the minimalism worked in the air and in other parts of the film; but it stifled a lot of potential drama on the beach. that made the film drag for me.

i think nolan is a very capable action director, but he tends to have pretentious tendencies and that leaves a certain level of detachment. a war movie shouldn't feel like that. and on the yacht, there was a lot more humanity that you could relate to. the whole film could've taken place on that thing and it would've been more powerful.

all of the stuff at the end, with the success of the evacuation, was well done. farrier's late heroism was great. i think if you're british, this is somewhat of a celebration of their tenacity and bravery. especially from the people.

usually war movies are about a victory in battle, and this was basically a retreat. but it was an important one, and there is still something to be said about that kind of sacrifice, which i think played a big part of the theme of the film. and that was well represented.

but some of the film just got gobbled up in weird silence interrupted by a lot of loud noises, and that just fell flat to me. but it is still a solid film, with a lot to like. and it was definitely emotional at the end.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
WZ, you liked Kong better than this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
i saw this yesterday. i think the strongest bits of the film were on the yacht with the father and two boys. the messiest was all the stuff with the soldiers on the mole. without any kind of character development, it lacked drama. it was hard to keep track of who was who--except harry styles because he stands out. the minimalism worked in the air and in other parts of the film; but it stifled a lot of potential drama on the beach. that made the film drag for me.

i think nolan is a very capable action director, but he tends to have pretentious tendencies and that leaves a certain level of detachment. a war movie shouldn't feel like that. and on the yacht, there was a lot more humanity that you could relate to. the whole film could've taken place on that thing and it would've been more powerful.

all of the stuff at the end, with the success of the evacuation, was well done. farrier's late heroism was great. i think if you're british, this is somewhat of a celebration of their tenacity and bravery. especially from the people.

usually war movies are about a victory in battle, and this was basically a retreat. but it was an important one, and there is still something to be said about that kind of sacrifice, which i think played a big part of the theme of the film. and that was well represented.

but some of the film just got gobbled up in weird silence interrupted by a lot of loud noises, and that just fell flat to me. but it is still a solid film, with a lot to like. and it was definitely emotional at the end.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

Yup, pretty much what I think as well. It's good action, especially from the air, but not much else save for a fleeting series of moments spread out across the whole film. Was hoping for something more. The only thing this movie should be eligible for at the Oscars is sound effects or something.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am 

It'll be a best picture nominee for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

they're two completely separate films with opposite expectations. "kong" is a theme park roller coaster ride. and it absolutely met expectations. it's a popcorn movie, and it was thoroughly entertaining to me. that's all it was trying to be. this is a war drama that seemed to fall flat at times where it should have excelled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 am 

W_Z wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

they're two completely separate films with opposite expectations. "kong" is a theme park roller coaster ride. and it absolutely met expectations. it's a popcorn movie, and it was thoroughly entertaining to me. that's all it was trying to be. this is a war drama that seemed to fall flat at times where it should have excelled.

Idk... This movie had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Great suspense. Great War film.

Did you like Kong better than Dunkirk?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 am 

that's like asking if i liked "guardians of the galaxy" more than "dunkirk". "dunkirk" isn't a movie to be "enjoyed". it's supposed to be harrowing. i just thought it fell flat with some of the characters because they weren't at all fleshed out.

i was not on the edge of my seat throughout. i'd say the climax definitely had me, and i was definitely moved by the ending and by the family on the yacht.

but a good chunk of it left me cold.

if you're trying to get me to admit that i liked a popcorn movie more than an "important" war movie, i'm just going to say that if you're setting out to make something important then capitalize on its importance. "dunkirk" somewhat failed in that department.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 am 

I'd give this 4/4 on the wide screen. On a TV at home it'd probably be 2/4.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

Doesn't belong. To me it's more of a niche movie. The air scenes were unique to me and presumably very realistic. On a lesser scale so were the sea scenes. But that doesn't make a film though.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Doesn't belong. To me it's more of a niche movie. The air scenes were unique to me and presumably very realistic. On a lesser scale so were the sea scenes. But that doesn't make a film though.

Ok, but it will be a best picture nominee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:29 am 

W_Z wrote:
that's like asking if i liked "guardians of the galaxy" more than "dunkirk". "dunkirk" isn't a movie to be "enjoyed". it's supposed to be harrowing. i just thought it fell flat with some of the characters because they weren't at all fleshed out.

i was not on the edge of my seat throughout. i'd say the climax definitely had me, and i was definitely moved by the ending and by the family on the yacht.

if you're trying to get me to admit that i liked a popcorn movie more than an "important" war movie, i'm just going to say that if you're setting out to make something important then capitalize on its importance. "dunkirk" somewhat failed in that department.

So you liked Kong better than Dunkirk?

I'm just fucking with you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Going out of town for business this week and there is a nice theater across the street from the hotel. They are playing this in IMAX so I think I'll check it out tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Then the committee should be retired and replaced.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:49 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Then the committee should be retired and replaced.

The committee should have been retired and replaced the last 25 years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am 

Would've loved to see it in IMAX but our fucking IMAX is closed for renovation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
W_Z wrote:

So you liked Kong better than Dunkirk?

I'm just fucking with you.

i'd like to see "Kong: Dunkirk".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 am 

I wasn't able to get away to see the movie last week at the IMAX like I had hoped but did go to my local theater last night to check it out.
Overall I thought it was beautifully shot and a very interesting story that I knew nothing about prior to hearing about the movie. If you
don't pay attention to the movie, I can see how it would be a little confusing to follow with the different time lines, but I really don't see
any other way to do it. None of the acting performances really struck me as being great. Rylance was probably the best of the crop and
I am a big fan of Tom Hardy who did as much as you could as a pilot with a mask over his face the entire movie. I enjoyed the dogfighting
scenes. I think I had to suspend quite a bit of disbelief at the end when the plane is gliding, but the end of that storyline was overall pretty
satisfying. It wasn't as good as I had hoped going in but glad I got to see it in the theater and there were a number of moments when I felt
myself gripping the armrests of my seat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am 

I doubted the gliding plane too but apparently it is possible with that plane. Shooting down another plane while gliding is kind of far fetched but hey it's a movie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I enjoyed it. Good solid film all around. Only thing that confused me was why did Hardy have to land the plane away from friendly troops? I mean he was almost an ace so would have ben smarter for him to land near friendly troops and go back to Jolly ole England,waht?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:47 pm 

This is in heavy rotation on HBO right now. My in laws are visiting and my father in law is always watching stuff on the History Channel
very much like this so I convinced him to check it out with me. Watching it for the second time was enjoyable and the time line thing
really wasn't an issue when you expect it. I'm not sure if he liked it or not. I caught him playing with his phone about an hour in but
that is pretty good for him. Anyway, if you haven't seen it and have HBO it might be worth your while.