It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... of-justice

Hundreds of millions of dollars, countless man hours and the hopes of fans worldwide have been poured into the creation of arguably the ultimate showdown: "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice." In a sense, it's a movie too big to fail. No matter what the critics say, generations of DC Comics fans are guaranteed to pour into theaters, making this superhero drama a hit, as the critically maligned "Man of Steel" was before it. And I suspect that many of those who flood theaters this weekend will genuinely enjoy what they witness here, even if that's more fueled by heady anticipation and a long-held love for its heroes than the actual film. But for me, I was bored. Often. Then infuriated that this massively budgeted movie guaranteed to be a blockbuster is so willfully a trainwreck.

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" is set 18 months after the Metropolis-razing events of "Man of Steel." But that's not where we begin. We begin with a stuttered start of four disjointed openings. First, director Zack Snyder kicks off with the back-alley murder of Bruce Wayne's parents. Hey, Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan had their run at Batman's origin, why should Snyder miss his chance? Then we leap to the climax of "Man of Steel," this time around focusing on Bruce Wayne racing through collapsing skyscrapers to the aid of his endangered employees. Then we bound ahead with the helpful "18 months later" title card to a desert location where Superman will kick up a lot of dust while rescuing Lois Lane (Amy Adams), making a critical error. Then we leap to a remote island where a cryptic McGuffin is uncovered. Then back to the greater Metropolis/Gotham area, where the two iconic cities apparently sit across the bay from one another.

The whole movie clunks along like this. Scenes don't flow into one another; they just collide one after another, refusing to cohere to a sensible storyline. Leaps from Gotham to Metropolis are as jarring as their looks are indistinguishable here. But worse are a series of long, creature-filled dream sequences, into which we're hurled without warning or logic. By the third bad Batman dream, I had completely lost my grasp on what was going on in this movie. And the script does the audience no favors.

To call it ridden with plot holes would be a disservice to plot holes. These are plot caverns. Thinking too long on how Batman leapt to a conclusion or how Superman keeps finding an in-danger Lois Lane as if she's got a personal 911 line to his brain will only cause frustration and lead to more and more plot "holes."

The motivations of the characters are similarly sloppy. Sure, Batman's grudge against Superman may be because of all the casualties he's caused. But that won't stop the Bat from taking a pivotal battle into the heart of Gotham. Alexander "Lex" Luthor super-hates Superman too, but the actual reason is all kinds of unclear, obscured by frenetic ranting about his cruel father, his distrust of goodness, and smatterings of quotes from Vladimir Nabokov's "Lolita" and Lewis Carroll's "Alice In Wonderland."

batman v superman poster gal gagot
But who cares, right? We're here for the ride, not the reasoning. I'm with you. I'd forgive poor plot if the movie is fun enough. But this is not. "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" is too gritty to be fun and too grim to be thrilling. Whether Batman or Bruce Wayne, Affleck offers two modes: brood and glower. Neither is terribly engaging, nor is Henry Cavill, who fills Superman's suit beautifully, but brings no depth to the character's countless stare-downs. Their combined lack of chemistry makes their eventual showdown a painful letdown. Sure, there's tons of brawling going on. But without a connection to these heroes -- derived from the film itself -- there's nothing to hang on to.

Snyder's action sequences are also a major disappointment. Poorly established geography makes them hard to follow. Always being set at night makes them hard to see, but fails to save the not-so-seamless jumps from practical effects to obviously CGI constructions. Most frustrating of all is the choice to have many, many lightning strikes flash during the titular showdown. It creates a maddening strobe light effect so bright you will be forced to close your eyes every few seconds, missing precious Batman and Superman screen time. And precious it is, because the biggest shock of all might be how little actual Batman v Superman action is in "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice." About 40 minutes went by before any notable action sequences fired off. And the pair's big showdown doesn't come until the film's overlong final act. Which means a thick chunk of screen time has no superheroes, and no action.

In these large swaths, you get Jesse Eisenberg hamming it up as Lex Luthor. Jeremy Irons raising rueful eyebrows as Alfred. Scoot McNairy seething as a bitter victim of Superman's Metropolis melee and Holly Hunter as a stern senator hell-bent on curbing Superman's vigilante antics. There's an inordinate amount of time spent on senate hearings. To Snyder's credi,t he does create an amusing tableau placing Superman in his full regalia against the awe-struck business-suited members of Congress.

But it's not all grim, grit and tedious monologues about father-son drama. There's also Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot appears, and it's like someone switched a light on. Batman and Superman battle with faces that suggest someone is forcing them to eat their vegetables. But when Wonder Woman shows up on the scene, she wields a confident smile alongside her shield. She loves being a warrior, and this detail gives the final fight scene some desperately needed life. Likewise, certain cameos make promises of movies that might some day break from Snyder's unrelentingly bleak atmosphere. But until then, we have this.

Overambitious and overlong, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" aims to tell a collection of stories instead of focusing on one. In doing so, it underserves its classic characters, undercuts its battle scenes, and disrespects the audience who has been waiting decades to see this epic showdown on the big screen.

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" opens wide on Friday, with showings beginning on Thursday night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
When you go on Rotten Tomatoes opening week and see that it is yet to be reviewed, it usually means it's a turd.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Hey hey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
GQ shredded it.

I got tricked into seeing Deadpool a month or so ago, but damn I want to see this turd and bask in how bad it is. Could we finally be nearing the end of this shitty genre? If so I want to be at the funeral.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
There are superhero movies scheduled until at least 2020.

Just lay back and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I think Bob Knight would've sung a different tune if he had 4 years of superhero movies on the horizon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:18 pm 

I always thought this was kind of a stupid concept in any event.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:58 pm 

i wasn't a fan of "man of steel" and in general i don't particularly like snyder's style but i'm probably going to see this because a good friend is so hyped up for it he's not gonna let it go until i see it.

it just looks very dressed up and no place to go.

plus, i never hang much hope on a movie released in march. i think the studio knew not to fuck with "suicide squad" and "civil war".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:04 pm 

W_Z wrote:
i wasn't a fan of "man of steel"

I always view those who are with "suspicion". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
isn't it starring Ben Aflac? He should stick to poker and directing, and poking jennifer garner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Snyder should be banned from making movies. How the fuck did he convince DC to give him the keys to the kingdom for the next 5 years ? He's fucking terrible. He made one good movie, 300, and that was only good cause it had a new look to it and cool effects. Now, 10 years later he's still making the same fucking movie over and over again. Watchmen, 300, this shit, they all look the exact same. And looking back at 300 with the benefit of hindsight, its not like Snyder put much effort into actually telling a story in that movie. It was one big fight scene basically.

As a huge comic fan I've been dying for a Justice League movie my whole life and especially in the past 10 years since Marvel took off. And to finally get it and see that its same old same old for DC just sucks. All they did was copy Marvel's blueprint and they couldn't even do that without fucking it up royally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:26 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
G.O.P. wrote:
Why the fuck are Batman and Superman fighting each other anyhow? They are both "good guys".

Is Batman really a "good guy" or is he a crazy vigilante?

Anyway, I read some rumors about the making of this thing and supposedly this Cavill guy playing Superman was so fucked up during the filming they had to diminish his role and focus more on Batman (Affleck).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:
Why the fuck are Batman and Superman fighting each other anyhow? They are both "good guys".

Anyway, I read some rumors about the making of this thing and supposedly this Cavill guy playing Superman was so fucked up during the filming they had to diminish his role and focus more on Batman (Affleck).

Like he was/is a bad actor or he is on something? I heard something about his acting, but maybe i misheard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:

Like he was/is a bad actor or he is on something? I heard something about his acting, but maybe i misheard.

Like he was fucked up on drugs or booze and could barely keep it together during filming.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
G.O.P. wrote:

Like he was fucked up on drugs or booze and could barely keep it together during filming.

What a dumbfuck, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Getting more and more negative reviews, unsurprisingly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:17 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Getting more and more negative reviews, unsurprisingly.

I want it to work, because I like superhero movies, but I am not a big fan of Ben.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:50 am 

I don't believe those rumors. I thought Cavill did a fine job in the first Superman and did even a better job as Napoleon Solo in the Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie.

If this movie sucks,the fault falls on the director,Zach Znyder.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:10 am 

It's gonna be bad I think.

But I'll watch it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Didn't you also say that about the Hogan Sex Tape?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Terry's Peeps wrote:

It can't really be worse than Superman Returns...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:14 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:18 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

That's true.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:21 am 

So did you like Superman returns less or more than the last Superman movie?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:22 am 

One of the big problems with this movie is that both Batman and Superman have had so many movies made about them that it isn't really all that exciting or interesting.

That was the true secret of The Avengers. Unless you were a comic book fan you barely knew anything about any of the characters.

This is the exact opposite of that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:27 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
So did you like Superman returns less or more than the last Superman movie?

Less. By a small margin.

I'm going in with low expectations and hoping I am pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:57 am 

G.O.P. wrote:
Superman will always be my favorite superhero.

I actually liked 'Returns.

Liked the way they used the original music and stayed true to the Christopher Reeve version, which was truly iconic.

This is still my fave superhero movie scene of all time - gives me chills every time I watch it, to this very day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUORL-bvwA0

Brandon Routh was my favorite part of Returns. He gets a bad rap, but he played a great classic Superman. The rest of that movie was not very good though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

G.O.P. wrote:
Superman will always be my favorite superhero.

Are you serious???? He's a ridiculously dumb superhero unless you buy into the Rich Cohen hypothesis that he represents Ashkenazi Jews in America. “Superman is a writer; Superman is brainy in his glasses; Superman is in exile from an ancient nation destroyed by fire; Superman has two names, a fake WASP-y name (Clark Kent) and a secret name in an ancient tongue, Kal-El; . . . Superman, whose cape is a tallis; Superman, whose logo, the “S” emblazoned on his chest, marks him as a freakish stranger as the yellow Star of David marks the ghetto Jew.” If you accept that, then he's kinda cool. Otherwise, he's too fucking powerful. So powerful the ultra dumb conceit of Kryptonite had to be created so he could actually face danger. I never understood why a piece of the planet he came from would weaken him. Idiotic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Superman would destroy Batman in .00005 seconds.

Hulk is my favorite. I most identify with him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Superman would destroy Batman in .00005 seconds.

That's why it's so idiotic. But I'm sure fuckin' one percent Bruce Wayne has probably cornered the market on Earth's supply of Kryptonite just to make shit interesting.