It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hamilton
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:25 pm 

I went into this prepared to be disappointed because the majority was raving about it and the majority has no taste

Great show. Fantastic casting from top to bottom except for tj (can't cast a guy with a lisp for a fast paced role that demands clear annunciation). I'm not a rap fan for the most part but I thought the rap battles between ah and tj moderated by gw were the best moments of the show

Hamilton takes its place in the pantheon of musicals. I don't throw this superlative around easily but there is genius in the creativity of this work

It has some adult themes and language so it might not be proper for all but it is for
Most

Post subject: Re: Hamilton
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Wife saw it last week said it was phenomenal .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
How much you pay for those tix? :wink: They were at 500 a piece when I looked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:57 pm 

Face

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
As a guy who was into musical theatre in high school, I think it's good that there's a show for people to talk about that isn't just [Band]: The Musical, but the fandom of this show suuuuuuuucks.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/07/ ... ur-country

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
As a guy who was into musical theatre in high school, I think it's good that there's a show for people to talk about that isn't just [Band]: The Musical, but the fandom of this show suuuuuuuucks.

Wow, the author went in really hard. Nice find CH.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'm going next week, but I have to admit my impression is that it's quite like Schoolhouse Rock rather than some great innovation in musical theater.

One of the things getting attention is the specific casting of minorities as actual historic white men. I've actually heard people complain about that which misses the point entirely. In any case, even if one ignores the very calculated and important decision in casting the play, it's acting. The whole basis of acting is that one is portraying someone else. I just saw the play Red Velvet about a black man performing Shakespeare and the outrage that caused in the English theater. Ironically, one of the complaints about an actual black man portraying the Moor was that it wasn't really "acting" at all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:

I saw the show first so you can suck my fucking dick.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm going next week, but I have to admit my impression is that it's quite like Schoolhouse Rock rather than some great innovation in musical theater.

One of the things getting attention is the specific casting of minorities as actual historic white men. I've actually heard people complain about that which misses the point entirely. In any case, even if one ignores the very calculated and important decision in casting the play, it's acting. The whole basis of acting is that one is portraying someone else. I just saw the play Red Velvet about a black man performing Shakespeare and the outrage that caused in the English theater. Ironically, one of the complaints about an actual black man portraying the Moor was that it wasn't really "acting" at all.

I think the complaint is that black men are being cast in "white" roles while black roles hardly exist in a play about famous slaveholders.

And yeah, it's basically Schoolhouse Rock + 1776, which I was into in high school. Respectful-LEE!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:17 pm 

You guys are into musicals.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:25 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

I was in the pit orchestra for Anything Goes and Crazy for You. I also have an affinity for Great American Songbook-type stuff; it was a fine period of American culture. No shame in my game.

I'm aware it all sounds gay. You know, sometimes I think about those guys who tell coming-out stories that are like "I grew up in the Midwest. My parents were simple people. Very simple people. I thought they would be so intolerant. But when I came out to them, my mom said 'oh, Matthew...we always knew.'" And once they're done basically calling their own parents rubes, the idea is supposed to be that even people between the coasts can be surprisingly tolerant, but all I ever take away from those stories is like, man, you must have been the fuckin' gayest kid of all time if your culturally impoverished parents figured it out that early and just totally conceded the point. Like, what could you have possibly been doing, singing Liza Minnelli in gym class?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:41 pm 

What pit orchestra?

I had a great Math teacher in grade school that doubled as a music teacher. We had to do a couple reports in 8th grade and one of them was a comparison of West Side Story to Romeo and Juliet. I freaking love West side Story to this day. Oliver! too. I think about her all the time, I had her sing at my wedding. She gave us an ornament as a wedding gift and I think of her when we decorate the tree. Anyway, my husband took me to see west side story a few years ago and I about had a stroke when I realized what the night cost us.

I'd like to go see this. It will be "rerun" no?

Bronx Tale is on Broadway. My husband wants to go. I'm tempted but have a hard time pulling the trigger. I can't decide.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:06 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSGLjvk6sE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:14 am 

Is that Ross on stage?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
You know, sometimes I think about those guys who tell coming-out stories that are like "I grew up in the Midwest. My parents were simple people. Very simple people. I thought they would be so intolerant. But when I came out to them, my mom said 'oh, Matthew...we always knew.'"

When my sister "came out" it was like this big deal where she told my mom, "There are things you don't know about me!" My mom said, "Like what?" and my sister answered, "I'm gay." My mom looked at her like she was out of her mind and said, "Well, DUH!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
I had a great Math teacher in grade school that doubled as a music teacher. We had to do a couple reports in 8th grade and one of them was a comparison of West Side Story to Romeo and Juliet. I freaking love West side Story to this day. Oliver! too. I think about her all the time, I had her sing at my wedding. She gave us an ornament as a wedding gift and I think of her when we decorate the tree. Anyway, my husband took me to see west side story a few years ago and I about had a stroke when I realized what the night cost us.

I think West Side Story/Romeo and Juliet must have been some standard required curriculum in Illinois schools. I'm at least ten years older than you and we studied the same thing in seventh or eighth grade with the little paperback that had both plays in it.

I think Oliver! might have been the second movie I actually saw in a theater. I know the first was The Green Berets with John Wayne. Both movies made a huge impression on my youthful mind. I can still see Jim Hutton impaled on that Viet Cong booby trap. And my entire life I have attempted to model myself after the Artful Dodger.

Don't be so parsimonious, Spaulding. Splurge on those A Bronx Tale tickets. And make sure you pass the Sonny test when your husband opens your car door.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:16 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Musicals are pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:

You should email that to Dan and explain to him that's how you throw cold water on a cultural phenomenon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:51 am 

Spaulding wrote:

I am. The more flamboyant the better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You get the wrong impression.

First of all, Schoolhouse Rock as a Saturday morning cartoon, was an innovation. The play was just a compilation of the songs and a re enactment of the cartoon.

This is original work.

I'm not some highly attuned musical critic. Watch it, see what you think and then we can discuss. We should have a musicals club.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:04 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think the complaint is that black men are being cast in "white" roles while black roles hardly exist in a play about famous slaveholders.

And yeah, it's basically Schoolhouse Rock + 1776, which I was into in high school. Respectful-LEE!

invalid criticism

That's like complaining about the Sistine Chapel because God is portrayed as some buffed old caring man rather than the vengeful person of the OT.

Anyway, the casting might have been of interest two years ago when the play was first performed but it really has no impact on the play as a whole. It's the equivalent of producing Macbeth with WWII as a backround.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

That guy seemed to be upset about something and used Hamilton as a vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 am 

Musicals from the 70s were better!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Not a movie, not a tv show so GTFO with this snobby bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:45 am 

shakes wrote:

why is it snobby?

I sat next to a woman from Green Bay at the show I attended.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:

why is it snobby?

she comes from a place called Titletown, seems pretty snobby to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:53 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:

why is it snobby?

Musicals of this nature are the very opposite of snobby. They are populist entertainment. You want to see snobby? Go to a Theater Oobleck play.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:05 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:

why is it snobby?

Musicals of this nature are the very opposite of snobby. They are populist entertainment. You want to see snobby? Go to a Theater Oobleck play.

Yeah. Some musicals people dress like they are attending a wedding south of I80.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:

why is it snobby?

I used to attend the Court Theater when I was first married. We were young so we could get away with underdressed look but that crowd was packed with turtlenecks and tweed jackets with elbow patches.