It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kong: Skull Island
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Pumped... I love these movies.

The inclusion of John C. Reilly is weird, but I'll give him a chance like I am Trump.

Last edited by leashyourkids on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Isn't it called...

Kong: Skull Island?

EDIT: THE "?" ISNT PART OF THE TITLE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
SomeGuy wrote:
Isn't it called...

Kong: Skull Island?

EDIT: THE "?" ISNT PART OF THE TITLE.

It should be.

Post subject: Re: Kong: Skull Island
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
btw, isn't this kong: skull island leading to some kind of "proper" king kong movie which then leads us to GODZILLA VS KING KONG circa 2019 or 2020? i'm pretty damn sure that i read that the endgame with this new kong reboot/remake/whatever is getting to have *THE* giant kickass kaiju vs kaiju movie?

yeah i see that godzilla vs kong is approximately set for release in may 2020. so uhhh yeah.... i guess gojira has one more movie and kong maybe 1-2 before we get to the giant hoe-down that we wanna see....

...and will still prolly end up being like, jai courtney + alexandra daddario and their little kid/s ahving domestic family issues for ~85% of the movie while ~10% is little glimpses of kaiju parts obscured in the distance/carnage, and the final 5% = actual moneyshots of what you came to the theater to see, but ended up with a homage to jaws like "hey you know it ultimately worked out better with less shark, nevermind the fact that they couldnt afford more shark otherwise it woulda been there!" =P

TLDR = GODZILLA VS KONG MAY 2020: WHO'S HYPED FOR IT?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:33 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
The inclusion of John C. Reilly is weird, but I'll give him a chance like I am Trump.

so uhh, that means you're gonna give him top secret security clearance and perhaps a commemorative "nuclear football" to display on-his-mantle/in-his-living-room!?

and btw, in regards to the concept/semantics of a "living room" -- when i have a house i'm gonna have a "dying room" because if you wanna embrace your inner black-hair-dyed teenage goth, man, every second of every day is bringing you one second closer to death, so from a certain point of view you're not only "living" every day, you're technically "dying" every day, even if only in a 100,0% temporal sense #TheMoreYouKnow!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:33 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
btw, isn't this kong: skull island leading to some kind of "proper" king kong movie which then leads us to GODZILLA VS KING KONG circa 2019 or 2020? i'm pretty damn sure that i read that the endgame with this new kong reboot/remake/whatever is getting to have *THE* giant kickass kaiju vs kaiju movie?

yeah i see that godzilla vs kong is approximately set for release in may 2020. so uhhh yeah.... i guess gojira has one more movie and kong maybe 1-2 before we get to the giant hoe-down that we wanna see....

...and will still prolly end up being like, jai courtney + alexandra daddario and their little kid/s ahving domestic family issues for ~85% of the movie while ~10% is little glimpses of kaiju parts obscured in the distance/carnage, and the final 5% = actual moneyshots of what you came to the theater to see, but ended up with a homage to jaws like "hey you know it ultimately worked out better with less shark, nevermind the fact that they couldnt afford more shark otherwise it woulda been there!" =P

TLDR = GODZILLA VS KONG MAY 2020: WHO'S HYPED FOR IT?!?!

Well, in Trump's America, King Kong will win.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:56 pm 

Given our educational systems, it is fitting that Japan's monster is a dragon who breathes nuclear energy and the Western equivalent is a giant ape.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:44 am 

Looks fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:10 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
leashyourkids wrote:
Given our educational systems, it is fitting that Japan's monster is a dragon who breathes nuclear energy and the Western equivalent is a giant ape.

Well, the original Godzilla is supposed to represent the U.S. Air force.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:41 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

even tho i know godzilla was borne out of japanese fears/thoughts about the nuclear bombs that got dropped on 'em, still i think the freakiest shit about that is i remember reading or hearing that some people had their shadows burned into the sidewalk by the bomb/s? you know, permanent shadows from the instant the bomb hit/exploded?

yikes... i just looked it up and *gulps*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:29 pm 

Bump. One week. The organization they work for has the same name as the one in Godzilla, so this is definitely going to end up a KK vs Godzilla showdown.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
Bump. One week. The organization they work for has the same name as the one in Godzilla, so this is definitely going to end up a KK vs Godzilla showdown.

No way Godzilla beats Kong. Look at his body!!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:58 am 

I got passes to a free screening. I showed up and they overbooked. People were pissed. I got free passes to the movie for another day. I thought that was a better alternative to sitting in a packed movie so I was pretty pleased.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm 

Good flick. Kong is enormous. Nothing complicated, but John C. Reilly actually brings a somewhat heartwarming side story. He did a really good job (plus he's a Cubs fan!) and he delivers the best performance.

I would say it's on par with the 2005 version, but the 2005 version is a personal favorite of mine so I'd still rank it slightly ahead.

3.5/5 Giant Skullcrawlers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
The trib gave it a good review. Based on the write up I would like to see it.

An unexpected but interesting sidebar of getting older is the number of remakes of songs, shows, and movies that pile up. If I had to guess this is something like Kong V4 in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Reviews seem to be all over the map on this...I've seen some people say they loved everything about it, others say it was a giant steaming turd. My hope is the disappointed people are those types who expect an Oscar-caliber film every time they buy a movie ticket while the people who loved it had the proper expectations going into a fucking King Kong movie. That being said, based on some of the people I've seen saying it sucked, I'm a bit worried this isn't just a case of unreasonable expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 am 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Reviews seem to be all over the map on this...I've seen some people say they loved everything about it, others say it was a giant steaming turd. My hope is the disappointed people are those types who expect an Oscar-caliber film every time they buy a movie ticket while the people who loved it had the proper expectations going into a fucking King Kong movie. That being said, based on some of the people I've seen saying it sucked, I'm a bit worried this isn't just a case of unreasonable expectations.

I don't think critics can properly assess these types of movies. The movie was perfectly fine... but it's not Gone With the Wind...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Looks like a perfectly fun movie which is generally what I'm looking for on the big screen. I don't like blowing 20-30 bucks on a movie that sucks but I think my expectations for this fall in line. Maybe I'll drag a kid to it during spring break.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
leashyourkids wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:

I don't think critics can properly assess these types of movies. The movie was perfectly fine... but it's not Gone With the Wind...

Yeah, I get that...I'm saying "regular moviegoing folk" seem to be split on it too...if this was a case of the critics saying it sucks but the paying public saying what you pretty much say I'd say it's a slam dunk go see it in IMAX but I've seen too many random people on twitter disappointed with the end product.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:11 am 

I thought it was a fun movie.

Reilly should be hung in effigy from a street lamp in front of Reilly's Daughter.

That female lead might have the biggest cans on a skinny girl that I have seen in quite some time. The director seemed to recognize this as well

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:55 pm 

outstanding entertainment throughout. i was actually pleasantly surprised by the characters. i liked the gaggle of rag-tag soldiers and brie larson was a knockout.

there are two lines that were totally thrown in on purpose: goodman's line in the beginning when he gets out of the limo and says "mark my words, this is the craziest washington will ever get" (paraphrased). and when john c.'s character says "what about the cubs, they win the world series yet?"

the monster scenes are incredible. i wish i would've seen this on IMAX for those sequences. probably one of my favorite was the long legged spider sequence. what a monstrous beast.

loved the skullcrawlers. the epic final battle was worth it, and kong is definitely the king out there.

there were some nice anti-war statements, and ideas like "who is the real enemy here?" weren't beating you over the head. honestly, it's 2 hours of just mindless entertainment. and brie larson. jesus h christopher.

:D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
W_Z wrote:
outstanding entertainment throughout. i was actually pleasantly surprised by the characters. i liked the gaggle of rag-tag soldiers and brie larson was a knockout.

there are two lines that were totally thrown in on purpose: goodman's line in the beginning when he gets out of the limo and says "mark my words, this is the craziest washington will ever get" (paraphrased). and when john c.'s character says "what about the cubs, they win the world series yet?"

the monster scenes are incredible. i wish i would've seen this on IMAX for those sequences. probably one of my favorite was the long legged spider sequence. what a monstrous beast.

loved the skullcrawlers. the epic final battle was worth it, and kong is definitely the king out there.

there were some nice anti-war statements, and ideas like "who is the real enemy here?" weren't beating you over the head. honestly, it's 2 hours of just mindless entertainment. and brie larson. jesus h christopher.

:D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

I may have to see this now based on your review. For comparison, how do you like it vs. the 2005 Peter Jackson version? (Which I liked a lot.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:40 am 

different tone altogether. jackson's remake was an homage to not only the original, but to the 30's and monster movies of its era.

this is a no holds barred b-movie with a big cast and big special effects. just a great action picture. kong is a badass, but he's not as much of a "character".

don't go in with expectations of a follow-up to that movie, but rather with expectations of a popcorn action picture, and you'll be satisfied.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:44 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Other than the gay Cubs shit this movie ruled.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
As a movie fan, I don't think I could have asked for a better start to the year. John Wick 2, Logan, and now this. All solid films. Even tho I would personally rank this 3rd out of the three that doesn't mean this movie is lacking much of anything. The cast, and all the creatures are top notch. I wasn't bored at all. I like it more than the new Godzilla flick. Also, everyone worrying about how Kong will stack up against the scale of Godzilla don't forget the John C. Reilly line in this film where he says Kong is still growing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
T-Bone wrote:

My wife turned to me in the middle of this movie, and said, "She's got nice boobs."

I said, "Oh yeah?" 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:32 am 

i definitely found "kong" more entertaining than the "godzilla" reboot--it didn't take itself as seriously. but i love that we're going to see a monster mash in the coming years. this is a good direction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 am 

America wrote:
Other than the gay Cubs shit this movie ruled.

You know Reilly had to have been a Sox fan growing up. Fucking sellout.