It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Netflix Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
They'll Love Me When I'm Dead. Documentary about Orson Welles last film. Pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Started an interesting project from the Coen Brothers last night. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a bit of a head scratcher but it has been
fun to watch in my opinion. They essentially make 6 separate short stories that are based in the old west. All different characters and
all different story lines. ( I admittedly am only half way through, seeing 4 of the 6 shorts ). It's the kind of movie that I think you are either
going to enjoy or just not get it and turn it off. Each of the stories I've seen are quite quirky but beautifully shot and acted. If you have
seen any of the other Coen Bros films and liked them it may be worth your while. Many good cameos and performances. The first four
are about 15 minutes a piece and the last two appear to take up the remaining hour of the movie. I hope to wrap it up tonight. Anyone
else check this out?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Peoria Matt wrote:
They'll Love Me When I'm Dead. Documentary about Orson Welles last film. Pretty interesting.

I just watched this a couple nights ago, and it was great, very insightful. Last night i started watching "Other Side of the Wind" as a follow-up. What a fucking mess of a movie, LOL. Old Orson was losing his shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Netflix cutting ties with the Mouse.

I think it's the other way around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
doug - evergreen park wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Netflix cutting ties with the Mouse.

I think it's the other way around.

Yup,the Mouse is going to start their own channel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Like ABC, A&E, ESPN, Disney XD, Disney Kids, or Disney Channel?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:42 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Like ABC, A&E, ESPN, Disney XD, Disney Kids, or Disney Channel?

a premium streaming service like WWE and DC comics. They have Marvel Unlimited right now but that is just print comics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I've said this before, but I really wouldn't want to own Netflix stock. They own nothing but their own original shows, which pale in comparison to the content of Disney and other studios. They are essentially HBO. Their streaming platform isn't worth much, as from a user's standpoint it's no better than (and I think inferior to) offerings from Amazon, Xfinity, and Youtube.

The thing that's very frustrating as a viewer and customer of all three (Netflix/Amazon/Xfinity) is the inability to watch more than a small fraction of older shows/movies, in contrast to Spotify, where pretty much every song ever made is available. The consensus seems to be that it's because TV and movies cost more to make and therefore could not be supported by a $10-20 per month subscription model, so these companies can only offer a relatively small number of licensed programs.

That got me thinking about Netflix's history and how they started as a DVD mail rental company. If you choose that service, you can get the vast majority of movies ever made. The reason is because Netflix actually buys those physical DVDs at retail. Depending on the title, they obviously buy more copies of blockbuster movies than small independent films with less demand. But either way, if you request a movie and it is "out of stock,' you simply have to wait until it becomes available when other customers return it and it re-enters the queue. My question is whether the same model could be applied to streaming. Netflix would simply buy X number of licenses from the studio for a given title, and then people might have to wait a few days to be able to stream that show, but at least it would be considered "available" vs the current situation. It's maddening...I can watch The Wolf of Wall Street, but not Wall Street.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They just paid $100MM to stream Friends for a year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:21 pm 
Look on seat backs of every long haul flight originating for the states and 90% of it is Friends or Big Bang Theory.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:

Isn't Friends available in syndication? How can it be worth $100 million/year to Netflix?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Isn't Friends available in syndication? How can it be worth $100 million/year to Netflix?

Right? It's on for hours at a time on TBS each afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Right? It's on for hours at a time on TBS each afternoon.

People like to watch it in order and control the process....apparently

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:36 am 

pizza_Place: ....
T-Bone wrote:
Started an interesting project from the Coen Brothers last night. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a bit of a head scratcher but it has been
fun to watch in my opinion. They essentially make 6 separate short stories that are based in the old west. All different characters and
all different story lines. ( I admittedly am only half way through, seeing 4 of the 6 shorts ). It's the kind of movie that I think you are either
going to enjoy or just not get it and turn it off. Each of the stories I've seen are quite quirky but beautifully shot and acted. If you have
seen any of the other Coen Bros films and liked them it may be worth your while. Many good cameos and performances. The first four
are about 15 minutes a piece and the last two appear to take up the remaining hour of the movie. I hope to wrap it up tonight. Anyone
else check this out?

Loved it!

Very cool movie.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:54 am 

Panther pislA wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
else check this out?

Loved it!

Very cool movie.

Finished it last night. I really did enjoy it. Some of the stories worked better than others. Didn't care for the last one too much but the entire film
was beautifully shot. I was very impressed with the landscape shots during the wagon train story. Again, highly recommended for Coen Brothers
fans. Well crafted dialogue, great performances and some great cameos.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
else check this out?

Loved it!

Very cool movie.

Finished it last night. I really did enjoy it. Some of the stories worked better than others. Didn't care for the last one too much but the entire film
was beautifully shot. I was very impressed with the landscape shots during the wagon train story. Again, highly recommended for Coen Brothers

It was a great work. Fantastic to behold. The last vignette lacked a payoff, though, and maybe that was intentional, as teh previous five stories had as final of a resolution as there could be.

My favorites were Buster Scruggs, Meal Ticket, and All Gold Canyon, in that order.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:21 pm 

Panther pislA wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
else check this out?

Loved it!

Very cool movie.

It was a great work. Fantastic to behold. The last vignette lacked a payoff, though, and maybe that was intentional, as teh previous five stories had as final of a resolution as there could be.

My favorites were Buster Scruggs, Meal Ticket, and All Gold Canyon, in that order.

The Scruggs story was a great way to open the movie. I put Meal Ticket, All Gold and the James Franco one were in the same class. Enjoyable to be sure, but I really liked the wagon train one the best. Not sure why, but the ending was a nice payoff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Just finished 1983. Decent enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:35 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
else check this out?

Loved it!

Very cool movie.

The Scruggs story was a great way to open the movie. I put Meal Ticket, All Gold and the James Franco one were in the same class. Enjoyable to be sure, but I really liked the wagon train one the best. Not sure why, but the ending was a nice payoff.

The first few minutes of Girl Who Got Rattled, I was thinking that someone poisoned the older brother.

I thought it was pretty well out-of-character for the sheepish young woman to wander so far from the wagon train all alone, though.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:41 pm 

Panther pislA wrote:

I thought it was pretty well out-of-character for the sheepish young woman to wander so far from the wagon train all alone, though.

I would normally agree with you but that dog lured her away and she wasn't all that bright to begin with. Loved how it ended with the crusty
old cowboy keeping his cool about the whole situation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMeqY7ogdF8

Teaser for Umbrella Academy, coming to Netflix in February. Based on a really good graphic novel. If they do it right it could be really good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Netflix has a dark sense of humor. The fake fireplace screen came up as recommended for you for me because of my interest in Making of a Murderer.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:40 am 
1000 CLUB

Lucasfilm has announced the cast of the first-ever Star Wars live-action series –The Mandalorian.

Pedro Pascal (Narcos) has been cast in the title role as a lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man) and Nick Nolte (Affliction).

“We’re having a great time working with this incredibly talented group and excited for everyone to see what we’re up to,” says Executive Producer Jon Favreau.

Currently in production, The Mandalorian is written and executive produced by Jon Favreau, with Dave Filoni(Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode and serving as executive producer alongside Kathleen Kennedy and Colin Wilson. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

The highly anticipated series will be exclusive to Disney+, The Walt Disney Company’s upcoming direct-to-consumer streaming service, which is set to launch in the U.S. in late 2019.

Well what do you know?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Emily Swallow?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Pee-wee’s Playhouse Christmas is on Netflix. This is highly recommended for any fan of the 80s. Major stars throughout, bad hair and all. For those who have never seen Pee-wee’s Playhouse - it is a very strange yet funny and campy show. Perfect both kids and adults who have been drinking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:22 pm 

Is there any news on season 2 of Mindhunters?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Don't bother with "Bird Box"

It's just a cheap rip-off of "The Happening," which also sucked

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Thank you. Was gonna give it a whirl tonight but won't bother now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:26 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
Is there any news on season 2 of Mindhunters?

Fall 2019

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I keep seeing how good it is. Was going to give it a try later tonight

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 42  Next