It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Netflix Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
T-Bone wrote:
Anyway over the course of watching that we saw the episode with Aziz Ansari which in turn got us to try his show on
Netflix " Master of None". We binged the first season over the weekend and really enjoyed it. His sense of humor and the writing on the
show really made us laugh a lot.

Agreed. I had heard a lot about this show but did not start watching it till recently. My wife and I really enjoyed the first couple episodes. We'll definitely watch the first two seasons over the next month. If you enjoy this show, check out Catastrophe on Amazon. That was excellent.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
T-Bone wrote:
Over the past month or so my wife and I watched Coffee in Cars with Comedians which is a pretty easy 20 minute mindless interview show
with Jerry Seinfeld. Anyway over the course of watching that we saw the episode with Aziz Ansari which in turn got us to try his show on
Netflix " Master of None". We binged the first season over the weekend and really enjoyed it. His sense of humor and the writing on the

I also watched Coffee Iin Cars, still need to finish it. When he has a history with the person the episode is really good, but nothing special when he doesn't know the person. The one with Julia Louise Dryfus was the best cause they just told old insde stories and laughed the entire time. You could tell they were really close friends.

Master of None is just OK in my book. Not great, but not bad either. Still haven't finished season 2.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I thought his one with Shandling was pretty good too but they also had a ton of history.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Watched a documentary on McAfee. What a wack job.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Peoria Matt wrote:

The poop hammock killed me

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

The poop hammock killed me

Yea....that was something.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Just finished Evil Genius. Holy fuck that chick is a whole other level of crazy. Erie, Pennsylvania is a messed up city. Highly recommend watching, even though the ending was kind of crap.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
DAC wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Anyway over the course of watching that we saw the episode with Aziz Ansari which in turn got us to try his show on

Agreed. I had heard a lot about this show but did not start watching it till recently. My wife and I really enjoyed the first couple episodes. We'll definitely watch the first two seasons over the next month. If you enjoy this show, check out Catastrophe on Amazon. That was excellent.

Thanks for the heads up on Catastrophe. We got through 1st season yesterday and my wife really enjoys it. I don't think it is quite as funny as
Master of None but it is well written and I enjoy the characters.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:39 pm 

Netflix's Cargo came out this week. Its zombies. Its Bilbo Baggins. Its Australia.

Its a pretty intense movie at points. Martin Freeman does a pretty good job. I'm just exhausted after The Walking Dead and didn't need any more of these movies.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:47 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
based off a web video short. fairly awesome.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Just finished Evil Genius. Holy fuck that chick is a whole other level of crazy. Erie, Pennsylvania is a messed up city. Highly recommend watching, even though the ending was kind of crap.

I have MANY friends who live in Erie, it is a city that gets more snow than anyone. My friends have to shovel snow off their roof for fear of collapsing it. They keep trying to convince me to move there and I keep point out that I never have that problem.

Also, I enjoyed 3%. I'm feeling a little burned out on dystopian television but it is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Today Netflix became the most valuable media company in the world by market capitalization (stock value), surpassing Disney. This is absolutely mind-boggling to me. Netflix does what exactly? They have written software to play videos (which many companies such as Amazon and Xfinity do equally well). They have signed contracts with content providers to show their movies...something these other companies do as well. (And something the content providers can withdraw at any time.) And finally, they are now creating their own content, similar to HBO and others. Doesn't seem to be enough to be worth what they are.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Today Netflix became the most valuable media company in the world by market capitalization (stock value), surpassing Disney. This is absolutely mind-boggling to me. Netflix does what exactly? They have written software to play videos (which many companies such as Amazon and Xfinity do equally well). They have signed contracts with content providers to show their movies...something these other companies do as well. (And something the content providers can withdraw at any time.) And finally, they are now creating their own content, similar to HBO and others. Doesn't seem to be enough to be worth what they are.

Isn't Netflix the biggest streaming service in the world? Streaming seems to be the future.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:16 pm 

312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Isn't Netflix the biggest streaming service in the world? Streaming seems to be the future.

Yeah but the way I see it, they are at the mercy of whoever provides the actual content to stream. What if Amazon offered the studios a better deal? Netflix would be fucked.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Jaw Breaker wrote:
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Yeah but the way I see it, they are at the mercy of whoever provides the actual content to stream. What if Amazon offered the studios a better deal? Netflix would be fucked.

The big money maker is the original programming. That’s why they are spending $2B or whatever the next few years on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Just like eBay. Anyone could do what eBay does, but eBay started so early and became so big, there can be no competitor.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:30 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
The big money maker is the original programming. That’s why they are spending $2B or whatever the next few years on it.

I suppose, but doesn't that just make them HBO on a bigger scale?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
based off a web video short. fairly awesome.

Yeah, it was. Is this just a one time movie or meant to be turned into a longer series?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

I have MANY friends who live in Erie, it is a city that gets more snow than anyone. My friends have to shovel snow off their roof for fear of collapsing it. They keep trying to convince me to move there and I keep point out that I never have that problem.

Also, I enjoyed 3%. I'm feeling a little burned out on dystopian television but it is pretty good.

So a lot snow results in all of these mental issues, hoarding, drug dealing and prostitution?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Not a lot else to do in the 10 months a year it is under snow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:14 pm 

Alright, once again I've found the best show on Netflix none of you people have even heard of.

Money Heist.

You're welcome.

It's subtitled from Spanish so I'm sure that knocks out most of you knuckle draggers, but for the literate minority here, this is a real gem.

I'm 2 episodes in and it's great so far. Kinda like a Reservior Dogs/oceans 11 vibe to it, only in a series form. There's 2 seasons on Netflix and I think a third is in the works.

Adding that to my list of amazing shows on Netflix that most people never heard of. List includes:

Happy Valley
Peep Show
The IT Crowd
Travelers
The Last Kingdom
Last Chance U

Those are off the top of my head, might be a few more hidden gems I'm forgetting about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
There was a time I would look at this section or thread and find a recommendation that was made and really enjoy it. Recently most of the stuff that I have watched hasn't been great or it has sucked. Please do better.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Nas wrote:
There was a time I would look at this section or thread and find a recommendation that was made and really enjoy it. Recently most of the stuff that I have watched hasn't been great or it has sucked. Please do better.

Shakes has been right on for the most part.

I'll give his new recommendation a try.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:28 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

No one says "Amazon and Chill"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
shakes wrote:
finished Mindhunters last night. A very uneven bloated show. I honestly only found it watchable when I edited it and fast forwarded through all the scenes with the girlfriend and all the scenes where the lesbian was trying to befriend a cat in the laundry room.

enjoyed the rest of the show for the most part. Read the book many years ago which was great. Whoever Fights Monsters is also a great book.

Felt like they held too much back in anticipation of a second season. For instance, all the crap about the guy in Kansas. That whole storyline literally went nowhere the entire season.

Looking forward to season 2, but they really need to reign it in and learn how to focus. For starters, reduce it from 10 episodes to 8. That should help.

I am a few episodes into Mindhunters right now. While I like it a lot, I agree with your point about Holden's girlfriend. She is alternately annoying and tedious, and the parallels the show attempts to establish between Holeden's work and his relationship seem clumsy and shallow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Just watched "Bombshell" a couple nights ago, a documentary about Hedy Lamarr, the actress. I had never heard her story before both as an actress and an inventor. Fucking crazy, if the claims are true. It sounds like she is getting the recognition for her technological contributions now that she never got when she was alive. Netflix is a goldmine of obscure documentaries.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:15 pm 

What is it with all this original content that is some foreign shit with some English dubs?

Fuck that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
What is it with all this original content that is some foreign shit with some English dubs?

Fuck that.

It's not "original content" but rather foreign TV shows that Netflix has the US distribution rights to.

Some of those shows are fantastic. Fauda is a must watch, especially when the co-creators are both ex-Duvdevan so it gives the show some authenticity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Fuck that.

You watch dubbed tv??? Always go to the options and select the original language the show was filmed in so you can hear the real actors.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

shakes wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Fuck that.

You watch dubbed tv??? Always go to the options and select the original language the show was filmed in so you can hear the real actors.

Can I get subtitles? IF so then I'm in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 42  Next