It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
 Post subject: Re: Netflix Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:26 pm 

K Effective wrote:
W_Z wrote:
i can't find a thread for it, and forget if one was ever created, but the 3rd season of "sex education" dropped and through 2 episodes i remember why i liked it so much.

there is definitely more "woke" culture being injected into it but the main characters are still really likable.

Yep, I got interested by Maeve and then pulled in when I saw Gillian Anderson in it. I think they may be exaggerating the complete immersion in sex by high schoolers ( I hope) and overestimating the queer amount. It is more fantasy then reality, and filled with young 20-somethings acting as high schoolers and willing to get nekked on camera!

speaking of which, this show completely unraveled in the 4th season due to all of that. nearly every story became a cliched mess; there were a few sweet moments in the finale but holy shit this show just went into the toilet that the sex ed kids used to sit on.

i have a whole diatribe in mind but i don't know if it's worth actually writing, since no one probably kept with the show like i did.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:05 am 

W_Z wrote:
this show completely unraveled in the 4th season due to all of that. nearly every story became a cliched mess; there were a few sweet moments in the finale but holy shit this show just went into the toilet that the sex ed kids used to sit on.

i have a whole diatribe in mind but i don't know if it's worth actually writing, since no one probably kept with the show like i did.

just finished watching it, and couldn't agree more.

It was like they took the most over-the-top, stereotypical, LGBTQ bar you could ever imagine, and turned into a school.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:54 am 

ah, good, you also suffered through that last season. i saw the cracks start appearing in season 3, especially with the addition of Cal (and another non-binary character that I actually felt some sympathy for--and "they" got written completely out of the show!).

my biggest problem with these inclusions is that none of them have the identifiable and empathic flaws that other characters did. they're untouchable. they're infallible. if they do something questionable, it's us that must have caused it.

the mean girls at the college - abby, roman, and the deaf girl (i honestly can't remember her name at all). they're portrayed as the most important clique to be a part of. eric's character is suddenly written to want to be immersed in their circle, even though through three seasons, he and otis were *proud* outcasts. nothing in eric's personality said that he wanted to be "one of the cool kids", yet here he was, spending all his time with them. abby and roman both come across as entitled prigs, but at least roman has some vulnerability as he thinks abby isn't really in love with him. abby is a condescending shit. absolutely nothing redeeming about this character comes through, not even the charity or so-called "christianity" (which is tacked on and disingenuous).

the school, as CF pointed out, is...i don't even get what it is. is it supposed to represent a utopia of what colleges/schools should all aspire to be? well in that case it would mean: incompetent maintenance (the lift is always out), a dangerous slide that can cause major injuries, and classes that won't teach you anything but how to sit in a circle and hum. if the writers truly are trying to represent this school as an attainable goal of future education, then it's pretty insidious.

the character of O, and the "rivalry" between her and otis, is also contrived as fuck and an obvious padding attempt that leads into another "lgbtq" moment where O--confronted with basically being a snob and a ghosting bitch--"comes out" as asexual, and calls otis "really fucking low" when he rightfully accuses her of using that moment of public exposure as an excuse to try and woo favor from the crowd by suddenly being "asexual". also, as a plot device, it really goes nowhere.

the moment that really brought my piss to a boil, though, was when maeve goes back to the school in America, and confronts the teacher that told her she didn't have what it takes to be a writer. *any* writer who has given a shit and become a professional writer, has been told this. probably more than once, and probably by more than one *teacher* or person of authority. but what do the writers decide to do here? give maeve a completely uncharacteristic "yasss queen" moment with making poor emma mackey have to deliver one of the most godawful lines ever: "you don't get to be the gatekeeper of my dreams". you could just feel the writers of that line swelling with self-congratulatory applause. if there's any advice i would ever give to anyone wanting to be a writer, or an artist it would be: don't ever take out your failures on others, and don't ever expect your "dreams" to be realized. you're a writer because you write, not because you're paid to do it.

so besides a really nice scene of eric and otis playing Smash Bros., and Adam's family's reconciliation...a lot of this show just drove me nuts. i don't care if you want to represent the LGBTQ+ squad. i care if you're trying to push an agenda for them, and turn them into precious pawns, whilst checking off your clipboard list so you can appease the powers that be. it's going to have an adverse affect, and undo any kind of gravitas you hope to give them.

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D for the entire series, because it did start off quite well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
This is very strange...they bought a popular IP and stayed true to the source material and it was a hit? I guess we'll see if this was an accident or they actually learned something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:00 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I watched the season 1 preview; that thing looks absolutely awful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:35 am 
1000 CLUB

Its the best selling manga of all-time so if you're not familiar with that style its kind of like Tim Burton meets Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven with some Golden Harvest thrown in. I watched it when my kid came home from college and I was surprised I liked it. I'm not into manga at all and didn't even know One Piece existed. Its over the top because that's the style but the story was good and the characters were interesting. The fight choreography is excellent and the pacing is good 50 minute episodes feel more like 30. It felt like watching something from the 90s there wasn't any of the messaging...no girl boss bullshit or men that needed put in their place. There were even positive male role models. There's one scene in particular with the sword guy and his rival I couldn't believe was in there. Its not going to be for everyone though the world and characters are pretty absurd.

For people that don't know manga is what is keeping comic book stores open. If you go into a Barnes and Noble the comic books might get a shelf and manga get rows. Its really blown up with the kids. I think comic books are doing close to a billion if they're lucky and manga is doing like 18 billion its insane.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
All right so I'm watching Wednesday and it's ok. The dialog is terrible and supporting acting is kinda rough but the main cast is pretty good. Anyway that's not why I called. Does anyone else think it's weird that this high school sophomore or whatever she is is totally being wooed by a couple like 30 year old dudes? It's weird right?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:07 pm 

Oknas I type this some dude got run over and the sheriff yells I shit you not...

"Somebody call 911"

I mean... really?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:10 pm 

Episode 6... Wednesday turned 16 today. All that shit with those dudes were hitting on a 15 year old.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I have not watched Netlifx in 6 mo. I turned it on last week and saw the gotti doc. it was shit. just like 99/100 shows on there are shit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:00 am 
1000 CLUB

Finally watched their doc on Woodstock 99. I thought it would be similar to the one on HBO which was trash but the one on Netflix was a lot better and did a better job explaining what really happened. 300,000 people and no security they actually dodged a bullet it could have been a lot worse.

That Michael Lang dude lol. When asked about people tearing the plywood sheets off the fences and he said it was people wanting to cut them into pieces and hand them out as souvenirs... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Likely will try to watch "The Killer" from David Fincher this weekend. Supposed to be pretty good.

Edit - it wasn’t bad. Pretty slow start but it got going and while very methodical I really liked how it was shot and how the guy operated. The ending was a bit confusing but overall I thought it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:36 am 

"the crown" released part 1 of their last season (season 6). like "ozark", it begins with a major car crash. unlike "ozark", the show doesn't use it as a cheap gimmick. obviously, they can't...it's the centerpiece of the final part of the show.

anyway, it takes place about 2 months before the fatal crash of di and dodi, and then culminates in the events just following her death, including some footage from the funeral.

again, it's very well done. but again, it also takes a lot of head-scratching liberties with the truth.

part 2 released early december i think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
W_Z wrote:
"the crown" released part 1 of their last season (season 6). like "ozark", it begins with a major car crash. unlike "ozark", the show doesn't use it as a cheap gimmick. obviously, they can't...it's the centerpiece of the final part of the show.

anyway, it takes place about 2 months before the fatal crash of di and dodi, and then culminates in the events just following her death, including some footage from the funeral.

again, it's very well done. but again, it also takes a lot of head-scratching liberties with the truth.

I absolutely give zero fucks about the Royal Family, but for some strange reason...I've watched the first 5 seasons of the crown. I think the only reason I've been able to sit through it as it does a nice job of showing the Royal family as a bunch of wankers. :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:27 am 

I will say, I’m glad they gave Dodi a proper representation. He’s also well played by Khalid Abdalla. And the guy who plays his dad is fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
W_Z wrote:
I will say, I’m glad they gave Dodi a proper representation. He’s also well played by Khalid Abdalla. And the guy who plays his dad is fantastic.

Yes, indeed :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:55 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
I have not watched Netlifx in 6 mo. I turned it on last week and saw the gotti doc. it was shit. just like 99/100 shows on there are shit.

Now you know what it's like when we take you off of ignore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:01 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Likely will try to watch "The Killer" from David Fincher this weekend. Supposed to be pretty good.

Edit - it wasn’t bad. Pretty slow start but it got going and while very methodical I really liked how it was shot and how the guy operated. The ending was a bit confusing but overall I thought it was pretty good.

Fun fact. The hotel scene at the end was shot in St. Charles, IL at Hotel Baker. I pass by there every day coming home from work and did a double take when I saw it in the movie.

Thought the movie was pretty good. More a psychological thriller then action. If you are into that type of movie, then it's worth a watch.

Currently in the middle of a movie called Nowhere which is pretty good so far. It's about a couple in a dystopian future trying to escape their country for a better life and get stranded on a container in the middle of the ocean.

Last edited by Juiced on Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:50 pm 

W_Z wrote:

I could have sworn the series ended. Oh, well, I'll have to watch it to the end. This era of the crown does not interest me. I liked the part where her father and then elizabeth ascended to the throne during important times in history with people I cared about being prime minister.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:43 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
The new Ricky Gervais special is good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Good stuff here too. Thank God we have these two comedians.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
blackhawksfan wrote:
The new Ricky Gervais special is good.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
blackhawksfan wrote:
Good stuff here too. Thank God we have these two comedians.

Long way around the block but good. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:38 am 

I started Loudermilk. It seems funny enough to keep going.

I turned off Ricky Gervais' special. I just don't think he's as funny as he's reputed to be even though I like his sketch comedy and when he rips Hollywood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
The Chappelle special was pretty good. Just shy of an hour so it went very quickly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42