It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I liked TNG a lot when it first came on. Unfortunately it does not seem to have aged well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
new trailer for the series.

I checked the upcoming episode list and saw Nicholas Meyer has writing credits for some of the episodes. That bodes very well for this series. He is the man responsible for writing the three best films in the franchise. (II, IV, and VI)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7IMj7WFyE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I saw it is on some special network. Do I have to pay extra for this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 am 

Cashman wrote:
I saw it is on some special network. Do I have to pay extra for this?

CBS is putting it on their online streaming service. The 2 episode premiere will be on regular CBS.

Outside of the US and Canada, it will be on Netflix. My guess is the series eventually ends up there, probably somewhat after the episodes air though.

Granted, since it is on Netflix in every other country right after it airs, I expect it will be easily pirated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:01 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I think only the first episode is on CBS and then the next episode will be immediately available online when the first episode ends.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:10 pm 

Solid premiere. I saw the 2nd part on All Access. I'll cancel the free trial for now and then just pay for whatever month they eventually release the other episodes for and binge the 1st season.

The Klingons are once again re-introduced as a worthy foe. You could definitely feel the touches left by Nicholas Meyer in the premiere.

I would say this was the best Trek series premiere since Encounter at Farpoint.

My only real complaint is the use of Sarek in the story. It just doesn't mesh with the character we know. This is 10 or 11 years before Babel and the Sarek we see there would not have been a father figure to a human. heck, it isn't until Star Trek IV that Sarek acknowledges Spock was right to join Starfleet. The events in that film are 31 years after the events we see in the premiere and 38 years after Sarek drops Michael off into Starfleet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Solid premiere. I saw the 2nd part on All Access. I'll cancel the free trial for now and then just pay for whatever month they eventually release the other episodes for and binge the 1st season.

The Klingons are once again re-introduced as a worthy foe. You could definitely feel the touches left by Nicholas Meyer in the premiere.

My only real complaint is the use of Sarek in the story. It just doesn't mesh with the character we know. This is 10 or 11 years before Babel and the Sarek we see there would not have been a father figure to a human. heck, it isn't until Star Trek IV that Sarek acknowledges Spock was right to join Starfleet. The events in that film are 31 years after the events we see in the premiere and 38 years after Sarek drops Michael off into Starfleet.

Few things I did not like:

Do we really need a female captain and 1st officer?
Emotional Vulcan
Constantly calling her #1, #1.
View of the dead by Klingons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 am 

Cashman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Emotional Vulcan

When they pick up the series again the setting will be transferred to USS Discovery. We haven't met the captain there yet but he's played by the actor who played Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films.

I'd say the dead Klingon bit kind of runs counter to established canon. Shouldn't they be talking about them going to Sto'vo'kor?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I have thoughts but this new iPhone keyboard is garbage.

To be continued.

...It’s a very good start...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Emotional Vulcan

When they pick up the series again the setting will be transferred to USS Discovery. We haven't met the captain there yet but he's played by the actor who played Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films.

I'd say the dead Klingon bit kind of runs counter to established canon. Shouldn't they be talking about them going to Sto'vo'kor?

Klingons think the dead body is an empty shell. I guess it works if they view the body as armor, but almost works the opposite way. And yes, they should be talking about Sto'vo'kor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 am 

So I DVR'ed the premiere on CBS with the hope that I could make a judgement call on whether signing up for CBS All Access would be worth it. Instead of being able to watch it, my DVR'ed recording started in the middle of 60 Minutes, and the entire show did not record making my recording worthless. Thanks a lot CBS. Way to drop the ball on the roll out of your flag ship show to your streaming service. They didn't even make it available on-demand on Playstation Vue. Now I'm probably just going to wait till this thing makes it to netflix next summer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 am 

It's much better than I expected. Still a bit 2009 Star Trek but the characters that will matter that we've seen so far are very good. Burnham (and I can't spell her real name so I won't try) is a great choice to lead the show.

The Klingon stuff was excellent but, using subtitles, it got difficult to stay invested. That's the thing with subtitles these days - sure it makes it more authentic - but you spend so much time reading that you aren't see the great visuals because that set was amazing.

All the production values on this thing were amazing. It was like a film-quality production.

I'm interested. And they haven't even gotten to the ship yet.

I think they are building to something solid.

"Rome wasn't built in a day." - Mike Ditka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:12 pm 

That was a fairly huge "OH SHIT!" moment.

I don't think they are going to walk it back, either.

Been a while since I've actually said "OH SHIT!" out loud watching a show.

I will be pretty mad if they do walk it back but I don't see it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:24 pm 

I've never gotten Star Trek, but I've always respected the passion of the fans. But then again I'm a nerd sitting here watching a show on ice carvings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:16 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I've never gotten Star Trek, but I've always respected the passion of the fans. But then again I'm a nerd sitting here watching a show on ice carvings.

It's kind of an acquired taste. I'd like to recommend something but it's very hot and cold.

When it's good, it's as good as anything on TV and then there is ST:TNG Code of Honor which might be the most racist thing broadcast on TV in the last 50 years.

I'd say go with Star Trek original series or do Deep Space Nine but understand the first season and a half will suck pretty bad but then it gets pretty good. You need the first season though to understand the character development.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
The Klingon stuff was excellent but, using subtitles, it got difficult to stay invested. That's the thing with subtitles these days - sure it makes it more authentic - but you spend so much time reading that you aren't see the great visuals because that set was amazing.

All the production values on this thing were amazing. It was like a film-quality production.

Clearly you didn't grow up on anime cuz then subs are the only way to watch stuff like, say, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

STD (lol) looks phenomenal, like right away I was impressed by the visuals and even tho it wasn't the comfortable 90s trek aesthetic and of course the campy Dudley do right vibe (I've heard DS9 be called "The Rifleman in space" and at least it had way more gray areas) but hey it wants to be edgy. The captain blew up his old ship dontcha know!

I only made it like 6-7 eps into the series so I'll have to finish it up cuz I do want to see where they take it all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
They have had a 3 day free trial of CBS on Prime. Now I'm hooked on this ST:D. Will binge when I can the next couple weeks then cancel CBS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
My wife and I are really enjoying it, too. And Dr. Ken is right, it is very well done and I find myself only half-reading the subtitles because of wanting to take in all the visuals.

A bit of a spoiler alert....

....I need to have my wife watch TOS Mirror Mirror so she can see just how far they have come with that premise.