It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get Out
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Great movie. I could have done without making white people the enemy but the rest was good.

Be sure to watch the alternate ending too.

Didn't know there was an alternate ending? What happens?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:40 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Great movie. I could have done without making white people the enemy but the rest was good.

Since it has spoilers, here is the link.
http://junkee.com/watch-get-alternate-ending-everyones-losing-mind/105645

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

i had already heard that was peele's originally intended ending. i think in time, the latter will be considered a better ending and the one chosen was a "sell out". i think peele made the right choice in changing it. it had enough light hearted humor that you could buy it.

the alternate ending makes it a truer horror film though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
W_Z wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

i had already heard that was peele's originally intended ending. i think in time, the latter will be considered a better ending and the one chosen was a "sell out". i think peele made the right choice in changing it. it had enough light hearted humor that you could buy it.

the alternate ending makes it a truer horror film though.

I thought the ending was going to be a police shooting for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 pm 

when my wife saw the cop car, she just said "Oh...shit."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Watched this over the weekend, it was very good. Helped that I was able to avoid all spoilers so didn't know what was going to happen. But, it was pretty predictable as I knew the girl was in on it very early in the movie.

Only glaring issue I have with the movie is I don't understand why they made their grandparents work as servants???? That made no sense to me. Just seemed like lazy writing to me as narratively speaking, it made no sense to have them in that position. Dying grandparents get new in shape bodies to use and they go ahead and celebrate by working as the maid and gardener? That was really stupid.

Other than that, great movie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
shakes wrote:
Watched this over the weekend, it was very good. Helped that I was able to avoid all spoilers so didn't know what was going to happen. But, it was pretty predictable as I knew the girl was in on it very early in the movie.

Only glaring issue I have with the movie is I don't understand why they made their grandparents work as servants???? That made no sense to me. Just seemed like lazy writing to me as narratively speaking, it made no sense to have them in that position. Dying grandparents get new in shape bodies to use and they go ahead and celebrate by working as the maid and gardener? That was really stupid.

I can see that. How do you keep black people around without anyone noticing?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 am 

shakes wrote:

Maybe they just act as the Maid and Gardener while the auction is going on and go back to chillin after?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am 

Nas wrote:
shakes wrote:

Why do they need to be around during the party????

They're in their 20's and have a lot of money, they can literally go anywhere they want in the world basically. "Hey Grandma and Grandpa, the big party where we auction off a black guy is this weekend, here's 2 tickets for a carribean cruise so you don't get in the way"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:

Maybe they just act as the Maid and Gardener while the auction is going on and go back to chillin after?

Probably more enjoyable to go on a vacation as opposed to doing yard work and making beds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 am 

shakes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:

Probably more enjoyable to go on a vacation as opposed to doing yard work and making beds.

Cant let them leave. If they get hit with a flash from a camera, no one there to re-sink them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 am 
100000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
Nas wrote:
shakes wrote:

Why do they need to be around during the party????

They're in their 20's and have a lot of money, they can literally go anywhere they want in the world basically. "Hey Grandma and Grandpa, the big party where we auction off a black guy is this weekend, here's 2 tickets for a carribean cruise so you don't get in the way"

You gotta control their environment because the flash fucks them up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 am 

Its a huge plot hole in the movie about the flashes turning them back to the original people. The blind guy was a photographic art dealer for fucks sake. He's going to switch bodies with the black guy and then somehow avoid flash photography for the rest of his life?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 am 
100000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Its a huge plot hole in the movie about the flashes turning them back to the original people. The blind guy was a photographic art dealer for fucks sake. He's going to switch bodies with the black guy and then somehow avoid flash photography for the rest of his life?

Science has improved.

What you did to the Mermaid (I believe another movie too) was HoF worthy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:

Cant let them leave. If they get hit with a flash from a camera, no one there to re-sink them.

That's a good point, but it still creates a huge hole in the narrative since it would've been much safer to just stash them at a house somewhere where they could've relaxed and avoided any flash photography as opposed to letting them hang out at a house with a guy who is a known photographer and is walking around all weekend with a camera hanging from his neck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Saw it on HBO over the weekend. Decent. Seems it was overhyped as the Wokest Movie of 2017.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:15 pm 

Nas wrote:
Great movie. Took the whole family to see it. It's a metaphor for being black in America.

I really wanted it to be a horror movie that was about this but I just don't think it is (even if it is what Peele intended).

I think it is a metaphor for the feared loss of identity African Americans hold in integrating fully into the majority.

Peele said it was about the fears he holds. Consciously or subconsciously, I think he fears being perceived as post op Andrew King by the African American community because of his biracial background and choice of spouse. He thinks the only way to exist in the majority is suppression of whatever it is that he considers essential to being black.

If I were his wife, I would definitely want to have further discussion about Rose.

I'd love to hear your thoughts teased out a little more to see what I may be missing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:26 pm 

my biggest takeaway was black culture being co-opted by whites. the whole reason the process begins is because the white guy feels he can't compete with the black guy. that's the joke. it's this complex that goes back to when owens beat hitler's nazi supermen in the 1930's.

so, that's also why the two grandparents become servants. i thought it was a pretty obvious dig about race roles, especially since the parents keep the grandparents as servants as a ruse. that, to me, is just good satire.

that's mostly what this movie is. i think you're taking it too seriously if you're trying to look for "wokeness". it's a fun movie, and has some dark humor. i'm sure peele has real fears and they manifested somewhat in his script.

but overall, it served its purpose as a horror comedy exceptionally well. and it's an original premise compared to what other horror movies have been using these days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I was talking to some of my black coworkers last night about the movie. They blew my mind away. They noticed things I had no idea about :

SPOILERS......

1.Chris frees himself by picking cotton.

2.The GF separates her milk and colored fruit loops. White and colored don't mix is the message. And she drinks from a black straw!

3.When the gardener was doing his running he ran like a sprinter in the 1930s. That was a hint. Didnt catch it.

4.Joe Maddon lookalike talks about how he would have voted for Obama a 3rd time. Obama was really one of their's.

I'm sure there are tons more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 am 

I like the Obama theory but I think their belief that a guy like Obama is post op supports my theory of the movie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm 

My brother has been dating an African American woman and it is getting sufficiently serious that he is going to her family's house for Thanksgiving. I told him to make sure he watched the movie before he went. I like her but we are not sufficiently comfortable with each other yet where I can make a joke about it in front of her.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I like the Obama theory but I think their belief that a guy like Obama is post op supports my theory of the movie.

Except flash photography fucks up the brainwashing. I think the President is around flashes a bit too often for that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
HawaiiYou wrote:
I was talking to some of my black coworkers last night about the movie. They blew my mind away. They noticed things I had no idea about :

SPOILERS......

1.Chris frees himself by picking cotton.

2.The GF separates her milk and colored fruit loops. White and colored don't mix is the message. And she drinks from a black straw!

3.When the gardener was doing his running he ran like a sprinter in the 1930s. That was a hint. Didnt catch it.

4.Joe Maddon lookalike talks about how he would have voted for Obama a 3rd time. Obama was really one of their's.

I'm sure there are tons more.

Watching that scene made me fucking rage. Can't explain it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
My brother has been dating an African American woman and it is getting sufficiently serious that he is going to her family's house for Thanksgiving.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
redskingreg wrote:
Saw it on HBO over the weekend. Decent. Seems it was overhyped as the Wokest Movie of 2017.

I finally caught it on HBO this weekend and felt like you did. I am not into horror type movies at all but this one was really original
at least. Thought it was very well done but just surprised that it got so much love. I see it is nominated for Best Movie and Best
Actor in the Golden Globes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
My brother has been dating an African American woman and it is getting sufficiently serious that he is going to her family's house for Thanksgiving. I told him to make sure he watched the movie before he went. I like her but we are not sufficiently comfortable with each other yet where I can make a joke about it in front of her.

My cousin's significant other is a black dude. He's the first African-American we've had on that side of the family. Last year he and I shared a joke about the difference in Thanksgiving side dishes. He was like, "Hey, where's y'all's mac and cheese at?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

My cousin's significant other is a black dude. He's the first African-American we've had on that side of the family. Last year he and I shared a joke about the difference in Thanksgiving side dishes. He was like, "Hey, where's y'all's mac and cheese at?"

How white people missed the boat on good homemade mac and cheese as a holiday meal side is one of life's great mysteries...

My mom's former boss (a black lady) didn't have any family in this area and for a number of years, she and her daughter used to come to Thanksgiving dinner at our house. The first year she brought a dessert and when she realized we didn't serve mac and cheese, she was shocked and insisted on bringing it the next year and when she did...wow it was awesome. We haven't seen her in probably 15 years now but that mac and cheese recipe has become a mainstay. Wherever she is now, I hope she realizes what joy she has brought to my life :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

How white people missed the boat on good homemade mac and cheese as a holiday meal side is one of life's great mysteries...

My mom's former boss (a black lady) didn't have any family in this area and for a number of years, she and her daughter used to come to Thanksgiving dinner at our house. The first year she brought a dessert and when she realized we didn't serve mac and cheese, she was shocked and insisted on bringing it the next year and when she did...wow it was awesome. We haven't seen her in probably 15 years now but that mac and cheese recipe has become a mainstay. Wherever she is now, I hope she realizes what joy she has brought to my life :lol: :lol:

I assume it was simply a mistake that you neglected to post the recipe???

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:58 pm 

:lol: :lol: I've only made it once, it usually falls on my sister to make for holidays now. The gist of it is noodles and then start adding cheese and when you feel like you've added too much cheese, slice up a block of velveeta and add that. Then put some cheese on top before you bake it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next