It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Prolly seeing it when my wife and I come back too IL in a couple weeks. Need to see it on a quality screen because the nearest fucking AMC or Marcus is like 5 1/2 hours away up here.

Still excited. Critics nowadays are mostly paid shills with agendas. I'm anticipating a solid action movie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
I'm actually surprised that there are reviewers who have seen this film and DON'T think this is a sequel. Roland has the Horn of Eld the entire movie, and Walter literally says "One more time around, old friend."

Having the chance to think about this more, here are some pros and cons based on my first viewing (minimal SPOILERS):

CONS:
The critics have been correct in that some of the movie seems jumbled. I had an issue with some of Roland's fight scenes being overly dramatic only to be quickly resolved because, you know, he can shoot guns good.

It's also easy to pick up on where voiceovers were done post-production. "The man in black fled across the desert..." makes an appearance, but not where you'd suspect.

Jake's stepfather has absolutely no bearing on the film and was an annoyance.

There are a couple parts where CGI was pretty bad. One scene involving Sayre sticks out.

The ending scene was pretty corny.

PROS:
Elba and McConaughey were both excellent. I'm shocked at the negative reviews the latter has received in his portrayal. It's not memorable like Heath Ledger's Joker, but it's pretty on-point with how you'd expect the Man in Black to behave. As I said earlier, Elba is Roland through and through.

Jake's portrayal was also strong. Very talented child actor, didn't seem over-the-top, and was believable.

The opening scene with The Breakers was not something I would have suspected. This again points to why this movie is clearly a sequel and Walter is trying things differently this time around.

The Taheen were creepy and nefarious, much like in the books. At times they might seem too costume-y, but I was still creeped out.

The action scenes are cool. Roland is supposed to be Jedi-like with his sandlewoods, and he is absolutely that in this film. There is one gun battle that could be seen as incredibly unrealistic in terms of "dozens of machine guns are shooting at you, then suddenly they can't hit anything", but it's a movie.

The subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) Easter Eggs for King fans was appreciated and made me smile.

Roland's "fish out of water" scenes in New York are done well. There's even a bit of comedy in there, which was fine.

Agree with pretty much all of this. The movie got jumbled up in parts and the ending was rushed and obvious, but for the most part it was an enjoyable quick movie. It could easily set up the series and future instalments of the movie series. I want to see Eddie and Susannah in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:07 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
seeing it Sunday, stand true.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Sounds like another failed King adaptation. Bummer

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:24 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
the series announced they have a show runner. Some may be pleased...others may not. Do ya kennit?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-dark-tower-t ... 1797506492

Did he oversee the absolute shittening of Walking Dead? Or did he leave before then?

took over in season 2 and left the position following season 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 am 

W_Z wrote:
i don't think it has a built-in box office that can carry it over its budget. but, if it makes $40-50 its first weekend, it has a chance at being a success. i see it making between $15-18.

just under $20 million for its opening weekend. it's probably going to make about $45-50 domestically.might cover its budget. overseas will carry it. i don't know how far along the miniseries is; but if they're already committed to it, it won't make a difference how much this movie makes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:56 am 

It'll turn a profit overall including international markets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I actually like Temple of Doom so maybe I'm going to be onboard after reading Ugie's review.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:48 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
An interesting take by Forbes on how The Dark Tower was doomed from the onset, being an "unfilmable" story that crossed too many boundaries.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/08/06/there-was-no-world-in-which-the-dark-tower-wasnt-going-to-bomb/#5a5ee8466acc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:23 am 

Calling this a flop is wildly inaccurate.

It made just under 20 million in it's first 3 days domestically and has an audience approval of 63% on RT, 78% on Google, and a 6/10 rating on IMDB.

All the Hank Scorpions out there can't handle they were wrong.

The Man in Black fled across the desert, and THE PEOPLE followed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Calling this a flop is wildly inaccurate.

It made just under 20 million in it's first 3 days domestically and has an audience approval of 63% on RT, 78% on Google, and a 6/10 rating on IMDB.

All the Hank Scorpions out there can't handle they were wrong.

The Man in Black fled across the desert, and THE PEOPLE followed!

Agreed on all counts! Huzzah!

Audiences will continue to push this film upwards and onward.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 pm 

I'm going to try to see it this week. I'll give you the true review. If they can convince me, they can convince anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm 

It was solidly meh. Not as bad as I thought it would be but not good either. I'll write up in more detail when I'm not on my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Review I read today torched this but said not McConahghy's (butchered spelling) fault.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:02 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Review I read today torched this but said not McConahghy's (butchered spelling) fault.

Review was wrong.

It was fine.

EVERYTHING'S FINE.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 pm 

Spoilers ahead so avoid post if you'd rather not read them. I didn't stick around, were there any post credit scenes?

It wasn't a bad movie but I can't imagine anyone who didn't read the books would care for it at all.

What I liked:
Idris Elba is awesome. I wouldn't have changed from white guy to black guy but he was a great choice. Nailed it IMO.

Wooderson also nailed Walter. Perfect mix of crazy/cunning/funny.

The little easter eggs were a nice touch. Pennywise and Charlie the Choo Choo in the amusement park. The portal numbered 1408. The shop across from the Dixie Pig called Barlow and Straker. The shop they portal jump to being King's Jewelry. The picture of the Overlook. I'm sure I missed some too.

The NY scenes with Roland, especially the drunk sluts on the bus. :lol: :lol:

What I didn't like:
Ummmm, the story. :lol:

Roland always cared about the tower. The Man in Black was just his way to the tower, not his goal. He really didn't even care about saving the world so much as just climbing the tower.

Everything felt rushed. Portals everywhere too, that was crazy. Finding portals was a big deal in the books. Some random group of castaways had one that still worked. Just weird.

The end fight scene with Walter. Better than his end with Mordred but still unsatisfying for me. I hope it isn't really the end. Also disappointed that they basically saved the tower already and destroyed Algul Siento. What's left to accomplish? Just wandering around now. All the main goals were done. Save the beams, destroy the bad guy. Was hoping for a 'go then, there are other worlds than this' moment. Instead its a lets go wander on some random adventures.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 pm 

the way it's marketed makes it look like a "highlander" movie. "the dark tower: the quickening".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 am 
1000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
The end fight scene with Walter. Better than his end with Mordred but still unsatisfying for me. I hope it isn't really the end. Also disappointed that they basically saved the tower already and destroyed Algul Siento. What's left to accomplish? Just wandering around now. All the main goals were done. Save the beams, destroy the bad guy. Was hoping for a 'go then, there are other worlds than this' moment. Instead its a lets go wander on some random adventures.

My take on the ending is, like in the books, Walter Padick comes back in The Drawing of the Three as Walter O'Dim. This kind of gives McConaughey an "out" if they decide to go with an entirely new actor for the second version of the Man in Black.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5