It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
There are obvious attempts to pay homage to King's past works in this movie. For example, I've heard they straight-up call Jake's "touch" the Shine to completely break down any passive implication that the ability is similar to what's in The Shining.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
The more reviews I read, the more angry I become.

I have to admit Hank may have been right.

That hurts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:

That hurts.

I'm actually the opposite.

One of the challenges King's movies have is the stigma attached to being the master of horror. People go in assuming they're going to get scared or at the very least creeped out. The Dark Tower is not in that category.

Sure, there are "scary" elements of the series (Mordred, the Taheen, etc.) but it's more sci-fi than anything. Most of the reviews I am reading are basing their interpretation on the lack of horror qualities and the clear departure away from a direct adaptation. But... we knew that all along, so what's different?

My only concern at this point are the negative remarks about the style of the film. I almost wish they got Ron Howard to do the first film (or David Fincher) to set the tone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Hank Scorpio wrote:
A movie that's a sequel to books?? If I went to see a sequel that didn't have a movie before it, I'd say "Yo Goober, wheres the original?" You don't win friends with sequels.

You dont win friends with sequels, you dont win friends with sequels.

This has always been my issue with what they are doing in this universe. This universe has so much untapped potential if they would have started with the story in Wizard and Glass as the start of the timeline and moved forward from there and eventually pick up at The Gunslinger. That is a series that would work on HBO or Netflix. Instead they (King) focus on this story or that awful book about the keyhole. When the good unused story is everything that happens from the end of Glass and the beginning of Gunslinger.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:46 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

That hurts.

I'm actually the opposite.

One of the challenges King's movies have is the stigma attached to being the master of horror. People go in assuming they're going to get scared or at the very least creeped out. The Dark Tower is not in that category.

Sure, there are "scary" elements of the series (Mordred, the Taheen, etc.) but it's more sci-fi than anything. Most of the reviews I am reading are basing their interpretation on the lack of horror qualities and the clear departure away from a direct adaptation. But... we knew that all along, so what's different?

My only concern at this point are the negative remarks about the style of the film. I almost wish they got Ron Howard to do the first film (or David Fincher) to set the tone.

Most of the reviews I've read really talk about it being a jumbled mess without a coherent plot or point.

Sounds like there are elements from The Gunslinger, The Shining, The Wastelands, Black House, Low Men in Yellow Coats, and others.

I'll await your review.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Psycory wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
A movie that's a sequel to books?? If I went to see a sequel that didn't have a movie before it, I'd say "Yo Goober, wheres the original?" You don't win friends with sequels.

This has always been my issue with what they are doing in this universe. This universe has so much untapped potential if they would have started with the story in Wizard and Glass as the start of the timeline and moved forward from there and eventually pick up at The Gunslinger. That is a series that would work on HBO or Netflix. Instead they (King) focus on this story or that awful book about the keyhole. When the good unused story is everything that happens from the end of Glass and the beginning of Gunslinger.

Bingo. I want to see the fall of Gilead and Jericho Hill. Poor Alain getting gunned down by Roland and Cuthbert. That's the sort of shit I want to see.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Psycory wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Bingo. I want to see the fall of Gilead and Jericho Hill. Poor Alain getting gunned down by Roland and Cuthbert. That's the sort of shit I want to see.

I have no idea wtf you're talking about because I haven't read one sentence from the books, but for the 1,000th time they are planning on doing a mini series which will dive into the books.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Jbi11s wrote:
I have no idea wtf you're talking about because I haven't read one sentence from the books, but for the 1,000th time they are planning on doing a mini series which will dive into the books.

Obviously. As the stuff I'm talking about doesn't happen in the books. There is a gap of twenty to thirty years between the story in book four and the beginning of book one that mostly hasn't been told.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Obviously. As the stuff I'm talking about doesn't happen in the books. There is a gap of twenty to thirty years between the story in book four and the beginning of book one that mostly hasn't been told.

So maybe the mini-series touches on that?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm 

This is the next cycle in the journey of Roland.

All the stuff that happened in the books (outside of Wizard and Glass) might not happen in the movie(s) or show.

Hank, read the comics to hear all about Jericho Hill and the fall of Gilead.

Cory, I'm sure some of that early time of Roland chasing the Man in Black will be in the miniseries.

I'm back on board. Fuck the critics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 pm 

Having done a little research I think the TV show is in major jeopardy if the movie is an all out flop. No network has picked it up, and the only sure things it has right now are the two protagonists from the movie signed on for the series.

HBO could handle it I'm sure.

I take back all the positive reinforcement I've been typing in this thread. The whole DT universe could be up in flames. Don't blame me. Blame the movie studio.

Sorry Peeps!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
I'm back on board. Fuck the critics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:57 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Having done a little research I think the TV show is in major jeopardy if the movie is an all out flop. No network has picked it up, and the only sure things it has right now are the two protagonists from the movie signed on for the series.

I take back all the positive reinforcement I've been typing in this thread. The whole DT universe could be up in flames. Don't blame me. Blame the movie studio.

Sorry Peeps!!!

The fucking emoji movie made 26 million dollars last weekend.

The movie will make a profit internationally.

You have forgotten the face of your father, maggot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:59 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Sorry Peeps!!!

The fucking emoji movie made 26 million dollars last weekend.

The movie will make a profit internationally.

You have forgotten the face of your father, maggot.

:lol:

I want to believe!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

A universally positive review has come for Idris Elba's portrayal as Roland.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
the series announced they have a show runner. Some may be pleased...others may not. Do ya kennit?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-dark-tower-t ... 1797506492

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
theres also a good review here. she points out the right type of mindset to be in for this movie

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/the ... v-vincent/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
the series announced they have a show runner. Some may be pleased...others may not. Do ya kennit?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-dark-tower-t ... 1797506492

Did he oversee the absolute shittening of Walking Dead? Or did he leave before then?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 pm 

There will be no mini series and even if there is, do you want to watch 6 or 8 shitty episodes of more DT? Thanks but no thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
There will be no mini series and even if there is, do you want to watch 6 or 8 shitty episodes of more DT? Thanks but no thanks.

The Dark Tower will be seen in 7 years as a decent pilot that was followed up by 5 seasons of tv and 2 additional great movies.

This time Eddie and Jake survive and the ka-tet will climb the Tower together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

The Dark Tower will be seen in 7 years as a decent pilot that was followed up by 5 seasons of tv and 2 additional great movies.

This time Eddie and Jake survive and the ka-tet will climb the Tower together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
theres also a good review here. she points out the right type of mindset to be in for this movie

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/the ... v-vincent/

Very good review.

I'm still excited to see it tonight. End of the day, I never thought I was going to see any adaptation of what is easily my favorite series ever. Watching both actors appear on late night talk shows discussing characters I basically grew up reading was both nostalgic and satisfying.

I'm obviously biased though. I mean, I vacationed in Bangor this summer. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:56 am 
1000 CLUB

Just got back from watching it. I'm not disappointed.

This is clearly a sequel and an homage to the King universe. The Easter eggs, references, and tie-ins will only be appreciated by longtime fans. Other references will only be picked up on by people who have read the books. If you are neither of those, then you will not like much of the film.

The first 20 mins seemed jumbled and rushed. The middle 60 was very good. The final 15 was just OK.

I can see why it is getting the negative reviews, because at times it seems rushed. Not much historical context is given, only the minimum. However, I felt all actors did a fine job.

Idris is Roland. It's absolutely a great cast choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 am 

:cheers:

You have remembered the face of your father.

I'm gonna see it today I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:04 am 

keep in mind...this is the guy who said the best indiana jones movie is "temple of doom". :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
W_Z wrote:
keep in mind...this is the guy who said the best indiana jones movie is "temple of doom". :wink:

Great to meet another crystal skull fan!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:46 am 

W_Z wrote:

Oh shit I forgot about that.

Dammit...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 am 
1000 CLUB

I'm actually surprised that there are reviewers who have seen this film and DON'T think this is a sequel. Roland has the Horn of Eld the entire movie, and Walter literally says "One more time around, old friend."

Having the chance to think about this more, here are some pros and cons based on my first viewing (minimal SPOILERS):

CONS:
The critics have been correct in that some of the movie seems jumbled. I had an issue with some of Roland's fight scenes being overly dramatic only to be quickly resolved because, you know, he can shoot guns good.

It's also easy to pick up on where voiceovers were done post-production. "The man in black fled across the desert..." makes an appearance, but not where you'd suspect.

Jake's stepfather has absolutely no bearing on the film and was an annoyance.

There are a couple parts where CGI was pretty bad. One scene involving Sayre sticks out.

The ending scene was pretty corny.

PROS:
Elba and McConaughey were both excellent. I'm shocked at the negative reviews the latter has received in his portrayal. It's not memorable like Heath Ledger's Joker, but it's pretty on-point with how you'd expect the Man in Black to behave. As I said earlier, Elba is Roland through and through.

Jake's portrayal was also strong. Very talented child actor, didn't seem over-the-top, and was believable.

The opening scene with The Breakers was not something I would have suspected. This again points to why this movie is clearly a sequel and Walter is trying things differently this time around.

The Taheen were creepy and nefarious, much like in the books. At times they might seem too costume-y, but I was still creeped out.

The action scenes are cool. Roland is supposed to be Jedi-like with his sandlewoods, and he is absolutely that in this film. There is one gun battle that could be seen as incredibly unrealistic in terms of "dozens of machine guns are shooting at you, then suddenly they can't hit anything", but it's a movie.

The subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) Easter Eggs for King fans was appreciated and made me smile.

Roland's "fish out of water" scenes in New York are done well. There's even a bit of comedy in there, which was fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:11 am 

Listened to the Bald Move podcast on the movie and they are of the opinion that in no way does it deserve the terrible reviews it is getting. Neither one read the book and both say it's a decent action movie.

I'll post my thoughts tonight on it but I think I'll be of the same opinion as Ugie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 am 

TurdFerguson wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Great to meet another crystal skull fan!

THERE IS NO CRYSTAL SKULL!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next