It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13 Reasons Why
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:41 pm 

Another Netflix show. Teenage girl commits suicide, leaves cassette tapes, each side containing a person's story that affected her and became a "reason".

just watched the first "side" so far. it's intriguing. it's based on a book, published 10 years ago. i think the 80's stuff is really getting worn thin, but i like the angle of the show.

it's getting a lot of rave reviews, seems like it's because it's timely. i think this girl is a bit too precocious (she records 13 sides of tapes and *then* kills herself? that's pretty elaborate) but it's a bit better than your average CW teenie show.

Post subject: Re: 13 Reasons Why
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
It's okay.

Gets way too fucking convoluted and the end is meh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It's well made and acted- but my god was she not a sympathetic character. Actress did a good job, but the writing had ridiculous gaps in logic. She witnesses a rape, says nothing. A friend bumps a stop sign- must call the police immediately. Also, the entire concept is pretty evil. She is self aware enough to make all of these tapes to make people feel terrible, yet is still willing to kill herself? Makes her seem sadistic at best.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I've watched the first 5 episodes. Its not 80s, its in present day.

I was intrigued and now I'm sort of over it. I just want to find out what happens and move on. And I have a problem with this girl blaming every kid in the school, it was your choice...piss off with the pointing fingers. So far only the Asian girl with the gay dads has truly done something terrible to her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01 am 

i know it doesn't take place in the 80's; i'm talking about the references, like the cassette tapes and walkman...airplane playing at the movie theater they work at?? it just doesn't make sense to have those.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:09 am 

W_Z wrote:
i know it doesn't take place in the 80's; i'm talking about the references, like the cassette tapes and walkman...airplane playing at the movie theater they work at?? it just doesn't make sense to have those.

Yeah the movie thing is weird but I get why its on tape. She was a hipster so tapes are cool because its not mainstream. IRL this would have been a snapchat story and reported on the news the very next day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
It's well made and acted- but my god was she not a sympathetic character. Actress did a good job, but the writing had ridiculous gaps in logic. She witnesses a rape, says nothing. A friend bumps a stop sign- must call the police immediately. Also, the entire concept is pretty evil. She is self aware enough to make all of these tapes to make people feel terrible, yet is still willing to kill herself? Makes her seem sadistic at best.

Yes she was a horrible person. I heard it described as the ultimate emo girl FU. "YOU IGNORED ME BUT NOW YOU'LL LISTEN!"

There's no doubt Bryce is a Cubs fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:21 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Yes she was a horrible person. I heard it described as the ultimate emo girl FU. "YOU IGNORED ME BUT NOW YOU'LL LISTEN!"

There's no doubt Bryce is a Cubs fan.

Yeah. She was not even that emo or an outsider though. She was asked out by every popular athlete on the basketball team. She turned herself into a victim in every situation. If a guy was too aggressive it was traumatic, but if she shouts at a guy to leave, he was supposed to stay and comfort her. It makes it difficult for a viewer to build up empathy for her. It became that her life was about making everyone feel guilty regardless of how they treated her.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:24 pm 

We aren't done yet so I don't what other trauma she may encounter but my wife remarked at one point, "I wish I was voted best ass in HS"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:58 pm 

:lol:

It becomes basically every Lifetime movie rolled into one show that happens to one girl.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
This sounds like a terrible fucking show.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
This sounds like a terrible fucking show.

It's started off with a good premise and decent characters. It dragged on and started to get crazy by the end.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 pm 

i'm still willing to get through all of it.

remember, this is based on a book that was already a bestseller. but it was under 300 pages long. maybe it's easier to stomach such a narcissistic head case that way...than say, over 12 hours.

in this case, probably should've been reduced to a 100 minute movie...FAVREFAN.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:07 pm 

So it's the story of an emo teenage girl who kills herself because she's bulled, and she blames everyone else for her problems? Do I have the premise pretty much right? Why would I want to watch that?

I've heard it's gotten pretty good reviews, just seems like a Lifetime movie or something like Peeps mentioned.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:22 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

So it's the story of an emo teenage girl who kills herself because she's bulled, and she blames everyone else for her problems? Do I have the premise pretty much right? Why would I want to watch that?

I've heard it's gotten pretty good reviews, just seems like a Lifetime movie or something like Peeps mentioned.

Except she's not that emo. It's a show that does a good job of hooking you in. I half expected there to be some sort of revelation that she did not really kill herself (she was murdered) by the end of the tapes, but there was no payoff. It's honestly hard to believe that she would kill herself after completing this 13 hour reflection of her life. The show delves in to hate watching at some points because it has Lifetime level of ridiculous twists and turns.

Planting drugs. Another girl is a cutter. Is this guy going to shoot up the school? (And will they need to do a synchronized dance to stop him.)

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:24 pm 

She's more hipster than emo.

I was intrigued enough to watch more than one episode but I'm ready for it to be over. Her parents are annoying, she becomes less and less sympathetic as the show goes on. It's odd because we are probably going to watch another 3 episodes tonight but I don't really want to anymore. I don't think I can recommend the show but I certainly wouldn't say its bad... It just hooks you in and then makes you stay for longer than you wanted to. Probably like how it is hanging out with Leash. :mrgreen:

How TF has Clay not just sat in his room and burned thru all 13 tapes is beyond me. I wouldn't stop until I was done, especially knowing I was on one of the tapes...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm 

Yeah she's not an emo girl and she's at least popular enough to have the attention of the jocks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:06 pm 

got through another episode. honestly, i like everything but *her*. i really loathe the smug sanctimonious tone she has on the recording...that she did right before killing herself. she seems way too self righteous to commit suicide, and that's a huge blow to the empathy you could have for her.

but we're not alone in disliking where this headed:

http://www.avclub.com/review/its-troubled-protagonist-addictive-13-reasons-why--252825

https://theringer.com/netflix-selena-gomez-13-reasons-why-television-e63bb8863aab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am 

Is this the one where she killed herself because of a lesbian kiss? My wife was binging on it this weekend but it never grabbed my attention enough to sit down with her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 pm 

W_Z wrote:
got through another episode. honestly, i like everything but *her*. i really loathe the smug sanctimonious tone she has on the recording...that she did right before killing herself. she seems way too self righteous to commit suicide, and that's a huge blow to the empathy you could have for her.

but we're not alone in disliking where this headed:

http://www.avclub.com/review/its-troubled-protagonist-addictive-13-reasons-why--252825

https://theringer.com/netflix-selena-gomez-13-reasons-why-television-e63bb8863aab

Those articles, especially the AV Club, sum it up well.

And yes, GD that kiss is one of the 13 reasons.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 pm 

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:23 am 

FavreFan wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
This show blows. The main kid blames himself for all the shit that happened because the girl told him to leave her alone. Dude you only knew about all the shit that went down after listening to the tapes! Oh yeah and she just hung out in a closet while her friend was getting raped. Makes sense. This show is for angsty white teenagers not angsty, jaded millennials!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 am 

A friend watched this and commented about it on Facebook.

As someone who thought about suicide alot when I was a kid,this really hit home with me.

Both her mother and MIL are on Facebook and are friends with her. She's that person that has a little bit of a Facebook problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 am 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
A friend watched this and commented about it on Facebook.

As someone who thought about suicide alot when I was a kid,this really hit home with me.

Both her mother and MIL are on Facebook and are friends with her. She's that person that has a little bit of a Facebook problem.

Huh?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am 

onto episode 10. just got through the "rape" episode. how you can not completely hate hannah by the end of this episode (if you have any self respect and didn't already hate her, which you should have), is impossible. she's "frozen" while her friend is getting violently raped? and the tape is dedicated to justin (for the second time??)? KILL YOURSELF. oh wait, she did. that's a win, in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 pm 

W_Z wrote:
onto episode 10. just got through the "rape" episode. how you can not completely hate hannah by the end of this episode (if you have any self respect and didn't already hate her, which you should have), is impossible. she's "frozen" while her friend is getting violently raped? and the tape is dedicated to justin (for the second time??)? KILL YOURSELF. oh wait, she did. that's a win, in my book.

The best part is that after she if frozen, she insists on calling the police because a sign was knocked over. And why did that tape belong to Justin?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm 

W_Z wrote:

The best part is that after she if frozen, she insists on calling the police because a sign was knocked over. And why did that tape belong to Justin?

Because he didn't stop his girlfriend from getting raped.

What kind of monster lets that happen??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 pm 

right. that is the essence of JDC-style confrontation.

"I watched him rape my friend."

"How DARE HE?"

but...why didn't you stop him?

"DON'T MANSPLAIN TO HER. SHE WAS THE VICTIM TOO."

"???"

"Guess you're a rapist too."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:03 am